Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Advice needed for a 5.3 turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 08:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed for a 5.3 turbo build

Hi guys, I have a 40 Ford that I was putting in a 354 Hemi. I had the idea of turbo'ing it and adding fuel injection. Well, after reading on here and seeing what people are getting out of LS power plants, I had a change of heart. I picked up a LM7 5.3 and a 4L80E. My current plan is to run the GM PCM. I would like 500-600hp, plan to do the normal upgrades. 317 heads, 80lb Deka injectors, a turbo cam, valve springs, building the 4l80E and getting a good converter, and a different intake. My end goal is to have a really quick street car and try to make it look old at the same time. Now, I originally was going to go with a 75 or 76mm turbo. But, I think twins would be better on a street car. I don't have big plans to race it but I do plan to daily drive it. The car used to have a 377 stroker and on a good drive it would get 14.5mpg. I'm just looking for the same thing everyone else wants. Power and economy. (Haha I know) Now I'm thinking about going with 2 57mm or 62mm turbos. If I can make them fit. I am really new to turbo gas engines. Do you have to have a BOV on the intake pipe coming to the engine? I'm already figuring on an external waste gate for each bank. I'm also going to try to put an intercooler behind the grill too. The car has a Ford 9" with triangulated 4 link, MII front, will be on air ride, and is currently torn apart for a redo of the chassis. It is all boxed and has a tubular X member now. Can you guys add info or suggestions to help me from buying parts I may not need or would have to redo? Thanks Ryan.

Quick Reply: Advice needed for a 5.3 turbo build