Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Disappointing dyno results

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Suncoast Rod Shop
trans is a 4L80E - same transmission/ convertor that was in it on the 1st 844hp pass along with the same 22" diameter rims. I initially thought the transmission was slipping but if it was the numbers would get worse with each pull if that were the case - or one would think??

Injectors are Injector Dynamics ID1300 (I spoke to tech at Injector Dynamics- gave all the information on the motor, turbos, setup, etc..)

Fuel pressure is at 45psi ( I think??) I forgot to ask the tuner - however I would expect him to check that. The tuner Im using is a noted tuner in my area and is familiar with high horsepower (1000+) forced induction setups.
Part in bold has me curious...

When the motor let go maybe it could have done some internal damage that may cause drag?
Old 01-12-2016, 01:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

650 hp with 8* timing.....fix your detonation issues, turn that sucker up to 14* and I bet you'll see some better numbers. I didn't see what the compression ratio was. If its high there might be your problem with the detonation?
Old 01-12-2016, 07:07 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Even with 8deg of timing it should be making a hell of a lot more power, it's a bloody 427 with two turbochargers.

It would almost be impossible not to make power.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Looking back at the build thread, it looks like it has 823 heads on it. If so those heads don't take as much timing as cathedral ports. There was a thread on here the other day of a stock LS3 w/ 15#'s of boost and only 13* timing on E-85. The car was running mid 5's. Here's the link: https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...-1-8-mile.html
Old 01-12-2016, 08:19 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 6669camaro
I understand that your running pump gas and pulled a little timing out because of some spark knock but 10 degrees of timing still seems pretty low for 14psi. Seems like that could be were your loosing some of your power. Maybe you got some bad fuel?
The easiest thing to try after checking out the plugs would be to put some race gas in it. If your close to or at detonation you wont have any power.

Last edited by handyandy496; 01-12-2016 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you everyone for your input. On the list of things we were going to try was draining the pump gas 92-93 octane out and throw some higher octane in and see what kind of results that brings.
In the past with the old setup I've personally seen 16 psi boost on the gauge driving the car - that was before all the re- fab work was done.
Forgot to mention the cyl. Heads are cnc'd L92/LS3 by west coast racing cylinder heads.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

Was able to speak to the engine builder this morning and after answering questions/discussion he seems to think its overpower the torque convertor. Yes he did seem to think the timing was low however he did say that he's experienced issue on high horsepower drag car that over power transmissions/ clutches that causes tuning issues. He brought up a point that it's a big heavy car, low numeric gear, strapped down putting a load on the motor/drivetrain. Unlike the street where it's just blowing the tires off. And if the cars making more power than before it could easily overpower the fins in the convertor. You wouldn't see it on trans slippage. He suggested getting a purpose built convertor that will handle more power then have the car retuned.
I don't know what was done to the transmission/ type of convertor that's in it as it came to me by another shop and that was already done. It's possible that before the motor wasn't making quite enough power to "overpower" or "blow thru" the convertor before but since straighting out somethings like I did the cars making more power - thus overpowering the convertor like several of you had mentioned. Or it's possible that the convertor could have weakened from before when it was still driving around and with the new build - making more power - induced overpowering it??
I'll have to get with the customer and let him know what was suggested and go from there. I'll keep y'all posted. Once again thanks to everyone's thoughts & suggestions.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I definitely think you are on to something there especially when you say that fuel consumption was where you expected but power was down.

The part I don't understand is where you say you wouldn't see it in trans slippage. The slippage can absolutely be calculated if you have a log from the run with the proper data. When you calculate converter slippage there are pretty much only two places it can be slipping in the converter or the trans. I am well versed in this as I have been fighting converter issues for over a year.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:01 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Don't see how you could "drive through" a converter and not have any slip on the dyno or other wise.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:13 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

can you post a graph
Old 01-12-2016, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Suncoast Rod Shop
He brought up a point that it's a big heavy car, low numeric gear, strapped down putting a load on the motor/drivetrain. Unlike the street where it's just blowing the tires off. And if the cars making more power than before it could easily overpower the fins in the convertor. You wouldn't see it on trans slippage. .
I would ask him to explain how its overpowering the converter, bit there is no "slip"? Thats not how it works LOL. Its either locked-providing all power to the trans, or its slipping. Im my mind-It cant go the the way.

Now the trans can indeed have an issue and absorb more power by way of increased mechanical action or friction which is typically something on its way of failure.

Is he suggesting the trans is just "absorbing" 350-400chp? You would see that translated to absurd transmission temps-but that much would cause catastrophic failure pretty quickly IMO.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jtotheizzo
I definitely think you are on to something there especially when you say that fuel consumption was where you expected but power was down.

The part I don't understand is where you say you wouldn't see it in trans slippage. The slippage can absolutely be calculated if you have a log from the run with the proper data. When you calculate converter slippage there are pretty much only two places it can be slipping in the converter or the trans. I am well versed in this as I have been fighting converter issues for over a year.
Thanks JT. Again I'm just trying to relay what my tuner is conveying to me. He shows me the graphs from the run file but it's all numbers// letters to me. Like I stated at the beginning I'm a great (but dumb sometimes) fabricator but the tuning/ engine building I leave up to others that are great at what they do. He showed me the slippage but he said there wasn't a tremendous amount that he was able to see and point out and say "yes - there's your problem right there!" That's what has us all baffled.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Don't see how you could "drive through" a converter and not have any slip on the dyno or other wise.
Exactly!! That's what I questioned?? If the trans was slipping that much I would expect to feel/hear it as well as the numbers would progressively get worse the more the trans heats up & slips.. I'll get some graphs and post when I can.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

Let me ask this question to everybody - with the components / combination of this motor (cubic inch, size of turbos, amount of boost 16psi, transmission,etc..) am I over expecting - unrealistic at the amount of power it should make?

I'm just baffled at how it had such a wrong fuel system / design of the headers/ piping /components before and it turned 800whp and everything that was done to correct these things - it has 200hp less...
Old 01-12-2016, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You have a lot of time into this thing. I wouldn't assume the tranny isn't robbing power. I would have it put on a trans-dyno.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:52 PM
Staging Lane

Here's a graph of the wheel speed / slippage

Old 01-12-2016, 05:58 PM
Staging Lane

Here's the calculations my tuner gave me on the fuel & air consumption:
Inj. pw =13.0ms @5800 =20.7ms
125lb/hr. 62% X 8 = 620lb/hr.
10.3lb/m X 14.08 X .78L = 113lb/m airflow
Old 01-12-2016, 06:16 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The fuel pressure must be dropping. I dont see an air/fuel curve but if you had one, with 1000hp of fuel and only 650hp to the wheels, it sounds like the engine would be too rich to run. or the injectors are smaller than you realize.

On the other hand, if it really is using 1000 horsepower of fuel, then A: you left a brake on, or B: something is absorbing enough power to explode shortly and will reveal itself (such as a brake-like device). when power just "disappears" you usually get a -> temp rise in whatever object absorbed it. i.e. the trans fluid would boil out if you push 300x10^x kw of power through it, etc...

lots of other great suggestions, like the boost leak test, do a compression test, basic engine diagnostics still applies. A boost leak would impede power; just like an exhaust restriction, or poor compression, etc... but none of these things should make an engine use almost double the fuel. That appearance is fuel pressure or injector size related.

Last edited by kingtal0n; 01-12-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
The fuel pressure must be dropping. I dont see an air/fuel curve but if you had one, with 1000hp of fuel and only 650hp to the wheels, it sounds like the engine would be too rich to run. or the injectors are smaller than you realize.

On the other hand, if it really is using 1000 horsepower of fuel, then A: you left a brake on, or B: something is absorbing enough power to explode shortly and will reveal itself (such as a brake-like device). when power just "disappears" you usually get a -> temp rise in whatever object absorbed it. i.e. the trans fluid would boil out if you push 300x10^x kw of power through it, etc...

lots of other great suggestions, like the boost leak test, do a compression test, basic engine diagnostics still applies, look for exhaust restrictions, check the cam timing, put a dial on the valve
I didn't get the timing/ AF ratio graph printout from him. The AF was pretty much in the 11:1 range during boost.
Injectors are Injector Dynamics ID1300. I spoke to tech at ID at length about the engine combination, turbo size, fuel delivery, etc.. Before those size injectors were purchased to make sure I had more than adequate size along with the fuel delivery was plumbed for more than the HP requirements this motor will make. One thing I do is over engineer & build it for more than what it needs so I don't have to worry about breaking stuff. Fuel system is plumbed to support 2000HP.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

We did have the air inlet pipe coming from the inner cooler to the throttle body pop off from the bump silicone coupler during the last couple of pulls at 14psi. I'm currently correcting the pipe and tuner does plan on pressure testing the system afterwards. I agree with yours and a lot of others suggestions that to lose that much power or have it absorbed it would show. The fact that we're not finding something obvious is what's so frustrating and what lead to this thread being asked.

Quick Reply: Disappointing dyno results