Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 08:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning

So I see tons of turbo budget build but where in the price beake down never any money for tunes I've looked around and they are like $500 am I missing something or dose anyone know somewhere better priced for mail order tune? And how do I upload them when I get it thanks
Old 01-27-2016, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some things you just gotta pay to play. Either spend $5xx for HP Tuners and learn to tune yourself or pay $500+ for it professionally tuned. They're isn't much way around it. The tuner I use charges $500 for lifetime tuning services plus dyno fees on retunes.

And as far as email tunes, remote tunes, I really can't comment but I believe you still need the basic HPT setup to load the new file. I think it runs in $3xx range. Maybe others can shed some more light on the subject.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In my area, there's one place that has a Dyno and they're proficient at tuning with HPT and EFI Live.
They charge $850 per tune. (2 Bar SD) and that includes using my HPT Cable. So they don't even have to buy credits to tune my already installed 2 Bar OS.
I will say, they include one street tune and one Track tune with higher boost levels and Race fuel.

I have to drive down 2 1/2 hours to Sacramento to someone with a great Reputation who only charges $500 since I already have the 2 BAR OS installed...

If you're good with EFI and have the time to do tons of research, buying the HP Pro cable might be a good investment for you.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:16 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tylc557
So I see tons of turbo budget build but where in the price beake down never any money for tunes I've looked around and they are like $500 am I missing something or dose anyone know somewhere better priced for mail order tune? And how do I upload them when I get it thanks

We start at $600 for FI dyno tunes, $500 is that bad IMO. We sell alot of mail order tunes for turbo setups but they are to get the vehicle running and check for leaks etc..unless you have tuning software and can data log. You cant buy a mail order tune on a turbo setup from anyone and be finished. No matter who did the tune it will need to be checked in person or with data logs through email (have to have efi live or hpt) and the tune will most likely need to be tweaked, especially fueling and timing. With a turbo setup even if you have it dyno tuned, its always a good idea to have access to tuning software for data logging and troubleshooting if anything ever comes up.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys I figured it wasn't cheap you just never read about it on budget build but midwest street cars is right up the road from me guess it would be better just to let them do it but now I gotta find $650 bucks
Old 01-28-2016, 06:00 AM
On The Tree

My first fi build I took it to local speed shop and they actually let me watch then tune it and of course I asked a million questions the whole time. Afterwards I bought efi live to be able to watch my data and I jus learned as I went. That's not a bad price either. Hope this helps
Old 01-28-2016, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by boostedxs
My first fi build I took it to local speed shop and they actually let me watch then tune it and of course I asked a million questions the whole time. Afterwards I bought efi live to be able to watch my data and I jus learned as I went. That's not a bad price either. Hope this helps

Yeah ill defiantly watch and try to learn a little bit. This is my first fi build I'm used to old school stuff you know just spin the distributor lol It sucks you can't even cam swap without a tube
Old 01-30-2016, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy some tuning software and be done with it. It'll save you a lot of money in the long run.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, at some point you will want to start playing/learning on your car. Get your own software now and be done with it
Old 01-30-2016, 12:31 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

The dyno doesn't duplicate the track, so tweaking at the strip is a must.

Folks don't realize how much time it takes to get everything correct. Especially if a boost controller or **** is in play.
:-)

Give the customer the ability to turn up the boost, and they will! Even if the car hasn't been tuned there.

I tuned two buddies cars last year. All at the track.
I feel married to their cars.......

Quick Reply: Tuning