Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Crossover pipe sizing (600hp)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Crossover pipe sizing (600hp)

I am in the middle of my turbo build and have seen this asked several times with differing suggestions. Yes I searched and still not satisfied!

My drivers side will have about 4'+ of tubing and the passenger side maybe about 1'.

I have a bunch of 2.5 mandrel bent tubing I could make it with but dont want to make it too large to affect when the turbo will come on line.

So is 2.5" too large for this application, or even as small as 2" in order to keep air speed higher into the turbo?

Its in a Tacoma with a long drivers side crossover that wraps underneath between the motor and trans.

Thoughts or suggestions?
Old 01-29-2016, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I did 2"...definitely noticed a difference in spool vs previous 2.5 setup. Would 100% do it again.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ping King
I did 2"...definitely noticed a difference in spool vs previous 2.5 setup. Would 100% do it again.
Thank you for the quick response, I will be doing it all in 2" hotside.

Exactly what I needed to know I appreciate your input Ping King!
Old 01-29-2016, 03:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Short answer: I would go with 2"

Long ramblings about pipe sizes and the price of tea in china:

I am running a log manifold so not apples to apples but I ran a 2.5" crossover and wish I had gone smaller. There are a lot of variables that you didn't provide info for but the bottom line is 2" is more than enough from each side and it is easier to package.

On the other hand, if you have 2.5" and don't want to spend money on 2" it will work and you should reach your power goal just fine (depending on motor and turbo) but you would probably be happier with the 2" performance wise.

Spool also has a lot to do with tune and converter as well. So while on one hand if I tell you that my setup doesn't cross into positive manifold pressure until 4200 rpm that sounds awful, but I am currently running a silly loose converter that flashes to 4500 on the hit. When I tell you that when I smash the throttle it goes from vacuum to 15 PSIG in about 1 second (and annihilates the tires on the street) it suddenly doesn't sound so bad.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:20 PM
10 Second Club

^ lol in fact my ramblings were so long that someone else answered
Old 01-29-2016, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jtotheizzo
Short answer: I would go with 2"

Long ramblings about pipe sizes and the price of tea in china:

I am running a log manifold so not apples to apples but I ran a 2.5" crossover and wish I had gone smaller. There are a lot of variables that you didn't provide info for but the bottom line is 2" is more than enough from each side and it is easier to package.

On the other hand, if you have 2.5" and don't want to spend money on 2" it will work and you should reach your power goal just fine (depending on motor and turbo) but you would probably be happier with the 2" performance wise.

Spool also has a lot to do with tune and converter as well. So while on one hand if I tell you that my setup doesn't cross into positive manifold pressure until 4200 rpm that sounds awful, but I am currently running a silly loose converter that flashes to 4500 on the hit. When I tell you that when I smash the throttle it goes from vacuum to 15 PSIG in about 1 second (and annihilates the tires on the street) it suddenly doesn't sound so bad.
I went through your build thread. what size pipe did you use for the log manifold? Offer any opinions on it?

They're definitely great for packaging.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ping King
I went through your build thread. what size pipe did you use for the log manifold? Offer any opinions on it?

They're definitely great for packaging.
I went with 2.5" Sched 40 MS. I have no complaints seemed to be what others used and I think its right for both sides into one. I personally like how clean it makes everything look and don't think it is holding me back much if at all. It probably isn't the most efficient design but seems to be doin work just fine and after almost a year it seems to be holding together just fine.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:42 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

2" is more than enough for 600hp. Using 2" on a 370" making close about 1000 flywheel going by weight and trap speed.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

Good to know, still trying to figure out how I am going to build my passenger manifold, I built a pair of headers and plan on using the drivers side since it snakes around the steering shaft, run the tubing to the passenger side, not sure if I want to go with a log type manifold where the other bank feeds into it or just another shorty tube type manifold that faces forward...

Such a pain in a Tacoma is it has the tightest engine bay in history!! Ugh I get so jealous and see everybody elses swaps have so much space!

My 90 degree intake elbow off of the TB actually hits the radiator/fan setup. its tight!
Old 02-01-2016, 01:41 PM
8 Second Club

Aren't Tacomas full frame trucks? Can you cut out all the fender well area?

You really don't need a merge or a log. Run 2 separate 2" pipes off each manifold with a cheapie 38mm WG each.

Driver side looks like so... this is the old 2.5" setup.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When estimating sizes: with .059" (16 gauge) wall thickness, the area varies as the square of the ID.
2" = 2.78 in.2
2-1/4" = 3.57 in.2 (+28% of 2")
2-1/2" = 4.46 in.2 (+60% of 2")
Old 02-02-2016, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Forcefed86

You really don't need a merge or a log. Run 2 separate 2" pipes off each manifold with a cheapie 38mm WG each.

Driver side looks like so... this is the old 2.5" setup.

Awesome, always looking for ideas, and my crossover goes the same way as yours, so I will probably base my hotside on yours as that was the idea before, I dont like the idea of a log being fed from the back and turbo on the front, just causes so much heat in that bank, I like to keep them separate.

Thank you for posting that!!
Old 02-02-2016, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

Yes its a fully boxed frame and I can do some cutting on the fenderwells if need be but there is a bunch of stuff mounted there so gonna be kind of hard to achieve, but Ill manage it fit it in there!

I think I am going to put it all back together with the NA setup for a day or two so I can tune it with the new Camshaft, 80# injectors, 243 heads (ported with hollow valves) with upgraded springs, and a 450lph fuel pump so I have a decent base tune for when the turbo goes on I dont have to start from scratch.

Just a thing I tend to do with all my turbo builds, I have found that it really helps save time on the tune since it gets you in the ballpark anyway..

BTW do you have any pics of that system installed complete from a few angles to give me some creative motivation?? Thx!

Last edited by Speed Freek; 02-02-2016 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:15 PM
8 Second Club

No problem... link to my build at the bottom of my sig. Should be a ton of pics in there of both hot sides.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

No problem... link to my build at the bottom of my sig. Should be a ton of pics in there of both hot sides.
Doh! Yeah I guess that would be a good place to check..will do.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed Freek
Good to know, still trying to figure out how I am going to build my passenger manifold, I built a pair of headers and plan on using the drivers side since it snakes around the steering shaft, run the tubing to the passenger side, not sure if I want to go with a log type manifold where the other bank feeds into it or just another shorty tube type manifold that faces forward...

Such a pain in a Tacoma is it has the tightest engine bay in history!! Ugh I get so jealous and see everybody elses swaps have so much space!

My 90 degree intake elbow off of the TB actually hits the radiator/fan setup. its tight!
LOL, a taco has to have more room than my S10! I completely understand.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope you have an ATF temperature gauge, or better yet a warning lamp.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rpturbo
LOL, a taco has to have more room than my S10! I completely understand.
I dont think so, from the pics I have seen the S10 is like a hot dog in a hallway compared to my "Fat guy in spandex!"
I think there is a reason that LS swaps in Tacomas arent a common occurrence. As far as I know I am the first person to swap am LS motor into a 1st gen Tacoma successfully.
I did it back in late 2011. I had to cut the frame in the front and cut out the trans cross-member to make it removable.
I still havent seen another 1st gen Tacoma 5 lug since then, although I am sure others have been completed after seeing my build threads on other forums showing what was done to make it fit.

Originally Posted by panic
I hope you have an ATF temperature gauge, or better yet a warning lamp.
Me? I have a T56. Or was this for another poster??
I just pulled the motor/trans back out yesterday after the trans started making weird noises like it did during the initial failure...bummer. Now I gotta figure out what I missed since I apparently did'nt fix what was wrong, I simply replaced the broken parts thinking I WAS fixing it....

Since I pulled the whole drivetrain again I am just going to fab up the turbo now so its going back together with some BEWST!
Old 02-10-2016, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

Do you have a build thread, or some pics? I would love to see this. I dig taco's, and yeah, I haven't seen anyone on here swap one.

Quick Reply: Crossover pipe sizing (600hp)