Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo scavenge pumps...

Old 01-29-2016, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Default Turbo scavenge pumps...

Both my turbo'd LT1 and my current 5.3 turbo setups hotsides place the turbo drain at near parallel lines with the -10 bulkhead fitting welded into my oil pan. In talking to Jose at Forced Inductions (he just did a R&R on my PT76GTS) he said that oil had caked up on the inside due to the 90 elbow I had coming off the turbo drain. So, knowing I could resort to an electric pump, I started researching here and elsewhere. The consensus seemed to be that diaphragm pumps are prone to fail in the hot oil environment, ,that gears were the way to go. I came across some threads stating that the Turbowerx offering was a good one so I bought one.

Shipped today so looking forward to trying it out. Anyone here running this pump? If so, where did you place it? One of the selling points is that you can mount the thing in any way you want, up, down, low, high, still pumps vertically up to five feet and only draws 3.x amps from 12V.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Just buy the Exa, you can mount it any way you like really.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Put a buzzer on it so u know if it evers go out or some kind of fail indicator
Old 01-30-2016, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many bikes used a ShurFlo, no problem with hot oil.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Exa pump will give you no issues. I have mine mounted under the car, actually below the turbos. You can mount it higher, though.

With that said, my pump was assembled poorly. The wires inside were pinched and it gave me some serious issues before I figured it out. TurboWerx admitted to the issue, instructed me on how to disassemble and repair. I'm sure it is a very rare occurrence and they were very helpful. The pump flat out works. I would never run anything else.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:44 AM
9 Second Club

Mine's mounted high up on the engine, zero issues in 2 years and it runs pretty quiet.

Really can't fault it at all.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the heads up. It's appreciated. Back when the LT1 in my 96 was the current Fbody motor, I bought one of the Meziere Electric water pumps. After 3 months, it quit working dependably. I could move the power wire feed to the pump and get it to come on .The roadside fix was to zip tie the wires against the housing to keep the wires in contact inside. After getting to the house and disassembling it, I found that the blade connectors were making poor contact, arching, overheated and ruined the brushs spring tensioner. I put a new spring in, soldered all the blade connectors and the pump worked dependably after that. I spread the word, like you are here, to let others know if they have issues with a given device, "here's something you can check". Thanks again!

Originally Posted by Hi-Po
The Exa pump will give you no issues. I have mine mounted under the car, actually below the turbos. You can mount it higher, though.

With that said, my pump was assembled poorly. The wires inside were pinched and it gave me some serious issues before I figured it out. TurboWerx admitted to the issue, instructed me on how to disassemble and repair. I'm sure it is a very rare occurrence and they were very helpful. The pump flat out works. I would never run anything else.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

Well, even though I bought it back in Jan, I didn't get to install it till yesterday. Got the lines plumbed, routed the hot onto the Positive box on the fender and put the negative through a relay that would activate with Key on. Tested it with the engine off so I could hear it. Yep. Worked fine. Fired up the car and sat there letting her idle for several minutes. Then I noticed smoke coming from the exhaust. Christ.... so I shut it off, went out and checked the pump(since that's the last thing I did) and phock... pump is dead. Put the voltmeter on it and it's an open circuit. Tried contacting the vendor but its the weekend so I guess I won't know if it has any kind of warranty or not. Zero miles and about 5 minutes and it died.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mightyquickz28
Put the voltmeter on it and it's an open circuit.
Highly unlikely the pump is hurt from that amount of run time unless it isn't fused properly and had trash of some sort ran through it. Do you have access to a power probe? Simply apply 12V to the pump while using the probes supplied ground.

Before sending in for warranty you should apply a known good 12V to it somehow, a Power Probe being the easiest. The problem more than likely is in your wiring.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

I did the wiring and it worked Fine at first. The fuse was intact . As you stated, I tried directly without the harness of the relay. Dead as a doornail.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

So, since one of the respondents here said he took his apart to examine it AND, Turbowerx hadn't responded to my emails , I took mine apart. I was hoping there was some loss of continuity between the harness connector(s) and the motor but everything checked out. I didn't see any obvious open windings either. I rotated the armature with my hands so it wasn't bound. Rats.... So, I put it back together and put it in a box.

I need a farking pump so I ordered another one but went one level higher ($400 pump) but in the 'notes' of the order page, I told them I was disappointed that the first one quit working within 5 minutes. I said that if this new one died in similar fashion I was going to rage on all the websites and facebook pages, Camaro clubs I belong to but that if it worked fine, I'd sing their praises and assume the first pump was 'One in a thousand' that failed prematurely. I also mentioned I'd emailed them twice and hadn't heard anything back.

Imagine my surprise when they said

a. They never got my emails. They wanted me to take screen shots of my emails to them so they could find out why customers emails weren't getting to them.

b. They wanted me to send my first pump to them to see if something went bad and if it had, they'd refund the price.

So, I have the new EXA on the way to me and I'm shipping my pump to them for examination.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 05-24-2016, 05:33 PM
9 Second Club

What pump did you have ?

I really dont get why people opt for cheaper pumps...the Exa almost never has any bad reports, so for me it was a no brainer.
A little extra for peace of mind is well worth it
Old 05-24-2016, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

http://www.turbowerx.com/Scavenge_Pu...odel_Pump.htmlthe one that's a step down from the EXA. $250.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

if it had, they'd refund the price

Great idea.
1. now you have no pump, and no money
2. the same people who didn't get your e-mails also didn't get the ones like "where is my money?"
3. now you have to take their word for it that "there must be something wrong with your car, because our pumps never fail".

And the answer is: ShurFlo, $75.00.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by panic
if it had, they'd refund the price

Great idea.
1. now you have no pump, and no money
2. the same people who didn't get your e-mails also didn't get the ones like "where is my money?"
3. now you have to take their word for it that "there must be something wrong with your car, because our pumps never fail".

And the answer is: ShurFlo, $75.00.
LOL

They admitted to me they were at fault with my pump, so I wouldn't go bashing their credibility without previous experiences with the company.

Recommending a 75 dollar water pump for a situation as serious as turbo oil scavenging is ridiculous. They may work for a period of time, but no way should they be considered reliable, or "the answer". Max temperature rating or like 180* of something? Yea, okay...
Old 06-01-2016, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

Wow... Just received notice from TurboWerx that they received my pump and, having inspected it, provided a full refund! I also have the new EXA pump I'd ordered at the house so I'll install that this weekend. Can't complain about this at all.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 06-03-2016, 12:40 AM
On The Tree

The shurflo trans pump works for alot of guys and its $109. Plus you cant hear it run, it self primes from 14 feet, and rated for continous duty. I really like mine so far. Who knows though, maybe im cussing it in a few months.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:31 AM
9 Second Club

I'd be surprised if any Shurflo is rated for continuous duty...or indeed the oil temperatures involved with such use.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:24 AM
TECH Addict

Here's my replacement Turbowerx pump. Came with -8an fittings.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo scavenge pumps...