Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Water cooled turbos

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 10:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water cooled turbos

I have a set of CX racing 67mm chinese turbos on my build. They came with the tubes and Banjo bolts to hook up the water cooling system to the turbo. Anyone else running this? If so can you post some pics up please. Also does it matter if one side is a feed or return? Can i tap off of my heater hoses for this? or is there a better location to get the coolant from?

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2016, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont really need to run water to them, most people dont
Old 02-03-2016, 01:55 PM
Teching In

Just plug the hole and run the oil feed and drain then? What's the benefit of the water? Keep the turbo cooler under power?
Old 02-04-2016, 10:30 AM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Protects the bearings after shutdown. There's a lot of heat that soaks back into the center section of the turbo, and when the engine is shut off, it's no longer cooled by oil flow. A lot of OE turbo setups take advantage of a "thermal siphon effect" to pull coolant through the turbo after shutdown, ensuring that it stays cool.

It's not really a big deal if this is a journal bearing turbo and you at least have enough discipline to idle the engine for a little while before shutting it off. If it's a ball-bearing turbo, it would be wise to hook up the coolant lines, since the innards of those can sometimes be more sensitive to this kind of thing.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Awesome thanks for the help. They are journal Bearing but I still may just hook them up since its offered. I appreciate the input!
Old 02-05-2016, 07:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lemming104
Protects the bearings after shutdown. There's a lot of heat that soaks back into the center section of the turbo, and when the engine is shut off, it's no longer cooled by oil flow. A lot of OE turbo setups take advantage of a "thermal siphon effect" to pull coolant through the turbo after shutdown, ensuring that it stays cool.

It's not really a big deal if this is a journal bearing turbo and you at least have enough discipline to idle the engine for a little while before shutting it off. If it's a ball-bearing turbo, it would be wise to hook up the coolant lines, since the innards of those can sometimes be more sensitive to this kind of thing.
I think it did to the reduced oil content of the ball hearing turbos. It's much easier to cook the oil inside the units.

If you turbos have them why not hook them up. I have seen some use a small electric water pump (many modern turbo cars use them). You can then keep he water following post **** down. This is what a lot of OEMs do now.

Quick Reply: Water cooled turbos