Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

TC78 stock bottom build thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will do, amazing how similar our projects are in the beginning and my future plans are right in step with what you completed. Was there a point of diminishing returns where you wished you would have just stopped and not pushed further?
Old 04-08-2016, 10:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 497 Likes on 384 Posts

I completed an almost identical build about two years ago except I stopped lol and left it the way it is now. Unbelievably fun street car that I can literally drive any where with AC and a badass stereo. I'm very pleased with its performance and truth be told its over kill for street tires lol. Check out my build thread from start to finish as there may be some problems I had that you can avoid. I'm hitting the track this Saturday for the first time as well so I'll have some strip number soon!
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...rbo-build.html
Old 04-10-2016, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

Nice build SS
Old 04-12-2016, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks boss. Had it at the track this weekend, having never raced a stick car it went as expected lol. Dismal 2.23 60ft, 12.43 ET @ 121 mph lmao. If your building a street car you'll love the TC78. It spools stupid fast and tip in throttle response is great. Rolling down the highway in 6th just tipping into the gas gets boost rolling and the car starts moving easily, you don't even need to down shift. I would recommend a cutout too both for noise and the performance boost.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by NitroFumesAteMyBrain
Will do, amazing how similar our projects are in the beginning and my future plans are right in step with what you completed. Was there a point of diminishing returns where you wished you would have just stopped and not pushed further?
Honestly, i wish i would have not pushed it hard enough to bend the rods. I should have left it 750wheel and just had fun with it and dialed the car in. The car was reliable as hell and it never gave me problems. No one expected it to run as hard as it did and it surprised quite a few people.

Now i have a new motor and some of the wiring gremlins that seem to pop when you tear everything apart and put it all back together. By the time i got it all sorted out it was the end of season and winter set in. I plan on finishing the suspension this year and getting the boost controller dialed in, pending no other hiccups.

My dream scenario would have been leave it at 700-750wheel, completely finish and dial in the suspension (track and street), get my boost controller dialed in to the point where i have traction in every gear and then go for 9s with the 6 speed. At that point, I'd go for broke until i got there.

If i were you though, I'd ditch that TC78 and at least get a 7675 (turbonetics or precision) they are the same size and its MUCH better turbo. I should have done that from the beginning.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
Honestly, i wish i would have not pushed it hard enough to bend the rods. I should have left it 750wheel and just had fun with it and dialed the car in. The car was reliable as hell and it never gave me problems. No one expected it to run as hard as it did and it surprised quite a few people.

Now i have a new motor and some of the wiring gremlins that seem to pop when you tear everything apart and put it all back together. By the time i got it all sorted out it was the end of season and winter set in. I plan on finishing the suspension this year and getting the boost controller dialed in, pending no other hiccups.

My dream scenario would have been leave it at 700-750wheel, completely finish and dial in the suspension (track and street), get my boost controller dialed in to the point where i have traction in every gear and then go for 9s with the 6 speed. At that point, I'd go for broke until i got there.

If i were you though, I'd ditch that TC78 and at least get a 7675 (turbonetics or precision) they are the same size and its MUCH better turbo. I should have done that from the beginning.
I agree with the 7675, I'll be upgrading to one of those in the future. I bought the TC78 before those units became more readily available. The TC78 is a bit small for the LS1 I have. I've seen a few guys make more horsepower at lower boost levels with the 7675. I've also seen the Comp 7881 as well but I haven't heard anything good bad or indifferent. Maybe someone on here has some feedback on that unit.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:13 PM
On The Tree

I got the tc78 with the hot side parts. On the plus side it has the 1.15 ar housing instead of the .96
A turbo upgrade in in the future plans once i get a forged piston shorty in place.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by NitroFumesAteMyBrain
I got the tc78 with the hot side parts. On the plus side it has the 1.15 ar housing instead of the .96
A turbo upgrade in in the future plans once i get a forged piston shorty in place.
That a/r still wont make up for the tiny turbine. if you're cool with about 600wheel then you could leave it, just dont push for more then 10-12psi. I had extremely high back pressure with it. Swapped it out for the Precision 7675 and picked up hp and tq everywhere, at any psi, spooled exactly the same too.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

Thanks
Old 04-17-2016, 08:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice build. Cant wait to start mine.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Its alive! Test fired tonight, everything came online as it should and busted off without a hitch. Apparently the ford data for the deka 80s is really close. Cant wait to get her buttoned up and over the the dyno for tuning.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Shes back on the ground, waiting for a dyno to open up! Starts, runs, drives like stock with the wastegate of of it. Think im gonna black the wheels as well.

Old 05-14-2016, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

Great work, glad to hear that it seems to be running well already.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

Getting everything plumbed up. Starting to look like a turbo car, lol. Wideband and boost gauge is rockin, bov is plumbed up, got my hallman pro controller mounted. Ill plumb it tomorrow. After that she is complete. I have an appointment with the tuner for this tuesday the 31st. Ill be sure to post some numbers here. Like i say, its not gonna be anything to wow over. Im shooting for 600 or close to it or 10 psi, whichever comes first. I dont think it will make 600@10# on e85 but we will see soon enough. My guess is 585, which at that point it will be hard not to throw another degree or two of timing at it, lol.

Dont bother the boost gauge, i hadnt sourced it yet.

Theres a turbo in there somewhere
Old 05-27-2016, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

Aerocatch

Old 05-29-2016, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

Just got back from doing some street pe tuning on low boost. Man this thing is so much fun. Im still really safe at 11/1 and 14* with no knock retard. The E85 switch has been pretty smooth. I tuned the car to 11.2/1 PE on gas today then drained the tank and filled with E. Changed my stoic to 9.85 but was still pig rich in PE like 10/1. So im down to 1.18 PE and im at 10.9/1 just gonna leave it there until i can get to the dyno on tuesday. Sure is a bunch of fun even on 5#, lol. Cant wait for 10. Video and #s to come tuesday afternoon!

Old 05-29-2016, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

I have my pe set to 35% throttle, could probably come up just a tad. None the less we will get that sorted out on the rollers. There must be some carryover from the ve table because that low of enrichment ratio should be quite a bit leaner than what the wideband shows.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

Oh, and it didnt take long to dispurse with some opression. Some douche in a tuner turbo nissan rolled up while i was out logging. I had been at it for an hr or so so i knew the tune was safe. I told the guy i was tuning and logging and didnt really care to run but he kept at it. So at the next light he done his ricer rev limiter stage deal. When the light dropped i rolled into the throttle and that little turbo nissan was moving out, but once i rolled into boost it was like he threw out an anchor with a parachute tied to it. It was funny. Silly ricer.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

Can't wait to see #'s
Old 05-30-2016, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

I had to increase my pe ratio on my second tank of e85. Now my long term trims look way better -2 to 2 mostly zeros. My pe afr is around 11.4/1 with 1 dam degree of kr in one block at 4000 rpm and 75kpa, rest are zero. Zeros in boost reading kpa above 85....i live at 5000' unfortunatly.
Another pre tune kill to report as well. I intentionally flew by a green c7 today getting on the highway and slowed into the right lane. What do i know the green vette pulls along side and kind of smiles. I give him the head nod and he kind of laughs. Aparently he missed the whole intercooler in place of the license plate thing or missed the boost gauge on the a pillar, lol. I motioned thati was ready and gave him the hit at 70 in 3rd gear. As soon as i heard the vette kickdown i dumped and was immediatly at 6# and bustin that ***. Ripped fourth came back on the gate immediatly and the walk fest commenced. The wife giggled, said it tickled her tummy, lol. After 3-4 lengths in fourth i kicked in the clutch and let him ricer flyby.
Another opression at a mile high, cant wait to get on more boost tomorrow. Then we can let the hate out!

Quick Reply: TC78 stock bottom build thread