Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

P1sc Procharger upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 12:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1sc Procharger upgrade

Hi guys, this is my first post so bear with me.
I'm looking to upgrade my p1sc Procharger unit to the d1sc on my 98 Firebird (ls1) Procharger will do the conversion for around $1,100. Does anybody know what would all be involved? As in, will I need to upgrade pulleys, or is it a standard swap. I'm afraid of starting a 'one things leads to another' money pit.
My primary reason for upgrading is simply the noise. I have an older version, and it just howls like crazy at low rpms, and I honestly can't stand it. I've heard the d1 units run much quieter. Any thoughts?
Old 03-07-2016, 01:35 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You shouldn't need to do much other than get it tuned. It'll pick up some power so just make sure your fuel system is up to snuff and it should do you well.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:02 AM
Teching In

Thank you for the reply.
I just got off the phone with Procharger, and they said the D1sc swap will not replace the straight cut gears with the newer Helical cut ones. This is what I was after to reduce the idle noise.
I'm now thinking about upgrading the 6-rib to an 8 rib. That will change the crank pulley from 5" to 7.65". Maybe that will be enough to get it out of the low idle chatter area.
Any thoughts on this would be very much appreciated.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:42 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm pretty sure you can get a d1sc with the "quiet gears". Maybe call back and talk to someone different.

Even still, a new d1sc isn't really that loud at idle.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:04 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamMn
Hi guys, this is my first post so bear with me.
I'm looking to upgrade my p1sc Procharger unit to the d1sc on my 98 Firebird (ls1) Procharger will do the conversion for around $1,100. Does anybody know what would all be involved? As in, will I need to upgrade pulleys, or is it a standard swap. I'm afraid of starting a 'one things leads to another' money pit.
My primary reason for upgrading is simply the noise. I have an older version, and it just howls like crazy at low rpms, and I honestly can't stand it. I've heard the d1 units run much quieter. Any thoughts?
The upgrade is going to cost you more than $1100.00, I'm not sure who you talked to but it cost more than that. Here is my link to this upgrade cost. http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-PC015...PC015A-010.htm

You might be better off money wise, selling your head unit and buying a new one, then you can get one with the helical gears. Give me a call for a super deal on one.
The D-1SC will require switching to a larger pulley on the head unit to keep boost at the same psi that you're currently seeing. http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-DPxxx...-ATI-DPxxx.htm (Pulleys) A six rib D-1SC (6" crank pulley) on a basically stock F Body with headers, no cats and exhaust will use a 4.0" blower pulley to make 7 psi of boost. Swapping to the 8 rib upgrade isn't really necessary unless you're going to run more than 8 psi of boost. Here is my link to the 8 rib upgrade. http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-1GJ11...-1GJ115-08.htm
Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 03-08-2016, 06:31 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I hate to break it to you, but my D1 was just as loud as my F1.
Here is my D1SC....

Here is my F1a.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just installed a d1sc on a c7 vette with the helical gears and it almost didn't sound like there was anything done to the car. Really quiet!
Old 05-19-2016, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. Alchemist, your D1 does seem a little loud, is that with straight cut gears?

I finally got my car back today after getting the 8-rib kit and new pulleys on. It went from 4 lbs. to 8 lbs. of boost.
It did decent power on the dyno (412RWHP and 410 torque), but choked out at 5500 RPM. I presume it needs a bigger fuel pump and (hopefully not) injectors. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
But back to the point of this thread, the blower is still too noisy for me at idle, and I am just going to have to buy a new head unit. I just really hate to spend $2000+ to get rid of a sound, so i'm debating on doing a D1 with helical gears. My new pulley setup is 3.55" blower / 7.65" crank. Will I be ok to just stick a D1 in there and tune it again? Or will it make too much boost?
Old 05-19-2016, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. Alchemist, your D1 does seem a little loud, is that with straight cut gears?

I finally got my car back today after getting the 8-rib kit and new pulleys on. It went from 4 lbs. to 8 lbs. of boost.
It did decent power on the dyno (412RWHP and 410 torque), but choked out at 5500 RPM. I presume it needs a bigger fuel pump and (hopefully not) injectors. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
But back to the point of this thread, the blower is still too noisy for me at idle, and I am just going to have to buy a new head unit. I just really hate to spend $2000+ to get rid of a sound, so i'm debating on doing a D1 with helical gears. My new pulley setup is 3.55" blower / 7.65" crank. Will I be ok to just stick a D1 in there and tune it again? Or will it make too much boost?
412 wheel HP on 8#'s and fell on its face at 5,500 doesn't sound right at all. Whats the details of the car ?
Old 05-20-2016, 06:24 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by conan
412 wheel HP on 8#'s and fell on its face at 5,500 doesn't sound right at all. Whats the details of the car ?
I agree, somethings not right. Bob

Old 05-20-2016, 08:14 AM
Teching In

I posted a reply last night, with a photo of the dyno results. Not sure how long those take to moderate. What about the results do you guys think is off?
Old 05-20-2016, 08:43 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I posted a reply last night, with a photo of the dyno results. Not sure how long those take to moderate. What about the results do you guys think is off?
It should not quit making power at 5500 rpm, a ProCharger will normally keep building boost the higher you spin it to. Do you have black dust all over the blower? Bob

Old 05-20-2016, 08:49 AM
Teching In

It should not quit making power at 5500 rpm, a ProCharger will normally keep building boost the higher you spin it to. Do you have black dust all over the blower? Bob
Yes, it started running out of fuel at 5,500. I was told I need to replace the fuel pump. And no, there isn't any dust or anything on the blower. Does the 412HP at 5500 sound like its on the right track though, presuming we can get it to at least 6500 with more fuel?
Old 05-20-2016, 08:53 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yes, it started running out of fuel at 5,500. I was told I need to replace the fuel pump. And no, there isn't any dust or anything on the blower. Does the 412HP at 5500 sound like its on the right track though, presuming we can get it to at least 6500 with more fuel?
That makes sense, yes it sounds like it is on track to make a lot of power. The blower will make a lot of power from 5500 to 6500. Do you have a forged engine? Bob

Old 05-20-2016, 08:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

What... Exhaust ? Valve springs ? Cam ? What do you have done to the fuel system ? What else do you have done to the car ?
Old 05-20-2016, 09:10 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, something isn't quite right. Granted, if he's completely stock, the motor makes about 330/330 at the wheels. With 8psi of boost, he should pick up a solid 150rwhp, which would put him around 480 at the wheels, give or take. So with it stopping at 5500, maybe the dyno operator saw it go lean and lifted out of it, which is smart.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:13 AM
Teching In

That makes sense, yes it sounds like it is on track to make a lot of power. The blower will make a lot of power from 5500 to 6500. Do you have a forged engine? Bob
No, its not forged, which is why I'm hesitant to add much more to it.

Conan, as far as I know, the car is pretty much stock. I bought it from a guy who passed away right after installing the Procharger, so unfortunately I don't have all the details. But it seems the internals are all stock. Exhaust is still stock manifolds and awful pipe (next on my list) with cats removed and Flowmaster muffler. There was work done to the fuel system, it had a booster installed that we ended up bypassing. I wish I knew more about it, but I guess I gotta start somewhere.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

No, its not forged, which is why I'm hesitant to add much more to it.

Conan, as far as I know, the car is pretty much stock. I bought it from a guy who passed away right after installing the Procharger, so unfortunately I don't have all the details. But it seems the internals are all stock. Exhaust is still stock manifolds and awful pipe (next on my list) with cats removed and Flowmaster muffler. There was work done to the fuel system, it had a booster installed that we ended up bypassing. I wish I knew more about it, but I guess I gotta start somewhere.
Ok that's making a little more sense, with a stock engine and a restrictive exhaust. The flow master catback is one of the worst, and manifolds don't help either. Get the fuel system up for the job and see what she does all the way to 6,500. Then start to add some better parts to the system.

Side note for you... Like ALCHEMIST said, my D1 is noisy as hell at idle too. There is no mistake something is going on under the hood. I had a guy tell me at the gas station last week I need to have my serpentine belt looked at LMAO
Old 05-20-2016, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Ok that's making a little more sense, with a stock engine and a restrictive exhaust. The flow master catback is one of the worst, and manifolds don't help either. Get the fuel system up for the job and see what she does all the way to 6,500. Then start to add some better parts to the system.

Side note for you... Like ALCHEMIST said too, my D1 is noisy as well at idle too. There is no mistake something is going on under the hood. I had a guy tell me at the gas station last week I need to have my serpentine belt looked at LMAO
The plan is definitely to upgrade the fuel system. I'd like to get a pump that will work now, but can also take me into higher HP down the road. The dyno tech recommended the Walbro 400.

As for the replacing the head unit, the noise mine makes is louder than the standard procharger idle whine. I'm willing to spend the money to replace it with a quieter version, and sell mine to someone who doesn't mind the sound. Unless anyone has any suggestions on how to quite this thing down, it looks like my only option.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:21 AM
11 Second Club

Buy a Walbro 450 and a minimum injector of 80#. Don't buy 60# ers and then upgrade again.

Quick Reply: P1sc Procharger upgrade