Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

70' Monte carlo, the gentlemans junkyard build

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 11:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cutting the divider out could be an option but I don't think the tiny gate would control it anyway. Twin 38's would definitely do the trick but I don't want to vent them to atmosphere and I think one 44 would control it and be esier to pipe back into the down pipe. VSracing has gates for like 100$ will see if I can get it up and moving by next week
Old 04-21-2016, 05:11 PM
Teching In

Pulled the exhaust housing out of the car, used a hole saw to get the initial hole and a stone to clean up the edges. Wanted to put the flange directly on the housing but it was too short and the clamp would hit. Put a short piece of pipe between them. Tacked the old gate shut. Slapped it all back together and fired it up. Sounds a little different but can't go try it out yet, it raining cats and dogs here. Just torquing it up in the garage seems better. Do sent go into boost like it did before.

Smoothed out and knifed the devider.

After I get it tested, and make sure it's all working I will pipe it into the downpipe.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Got on it a little tonight, hit 5 psi and held steady. Now I can finnaly get to tune on it. Stoked!
Old 04-25-2016, 07:22 AM
Teching In

great, are you using a 3bar and HPT?
Old 04-25-2016, 10:46 AM
Teching In

using stock ecm and HPtuners. im using the two bar map, i don't plan on going over 15 psi so i figured that would work fine. its nice my buddy has hptuners i bought the credits and he is helping me tune it for nothing. the bad side of that is its hard to get our schedules together to get it done.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

yeah that is why i ended up buying it. expensive tool, but the new v3.0 is pretty righteous

carry on with the awesome work!
Old 06-22-2016, 04:20 PM
Teching In

Small update....still not power tuned, buddy that's tuning it just moved so has been busy. Can't get mad his new garage is dope, helped him move everything in, including a new car lift. In the meantime I decided to put some exhaust together. Didn't like the 4" dump under the pasenger door. I ordered the longest glasspacks I could find on the web. It's 4" back to the rails haft and I split it to dual 3" through 30" glasspacks. Over the axel and straight out the back. Pretty cake to the back axle, then all my pie cuts went to **** and if I had the energy I would have thrown my shitbox harbor freight welder out the window. But 2 cans of 99 cent walmart paint and it's good as new. Sounds great, just the sound I was after. Then I drove it. Sounds like a load of loose bricks in the trunk. Got it to close the the axle and tank. Got pissed and cut the back pipes off. Guess I'm going to have to get some mandrel bends or more patience or both

Old 06-22-2016, 05:54 PM
Launching!

Killer build. I'm loving it!!
Old 06-26-2016, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Welp didn't get the exhaust done but did get to tune on it a bit tonight. Ratchet strapped up the mufflers and hit the street. Finally got to hammer on it for the first time. It moves out way better than the old 406 sbc. Not sure if I just need more gate or what but it it would run about 10 psi through first and spike to 15 or 16 when it shifts. Has what I think is a 7.5 spring in it. Meh feels good in the seat, will have to sort it out next time.

Some of that beautiful ratchet strap exhaust work.lol
Old 06-27-2016, 12:47 AM
Launching!

I'm digging the ratchet strap.....lol
Old 06-27-2016, 02:57 PM
Teching In

doing some reading and setup seems a little to close to the ragged edge for me, running a vsr 44mm gate, no aftercooler, e85, I was hoping it would sit at 8# and never move kind of curious as to why its not regulating the boost better. the springs in the kit weren't marked well maybe I put to stiff of a spring in the gate. going to try and get some half *** 1/8 mile times and compare to my car weight to see ballpark what im making power wise.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:02 PM
Launching!

Have you though about running both wastegate and see if that helps? It defiantly shouldn't hurt from what your saying. Maybe it's gods way of telling you that you need more boost....lol
Old 06-27-2016, 03:37 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Sure that’s a waste gate? Could it be a "quick spool valve". Used to control how quickly the turbo spools. Similar to this...

When used properly, It directs all the flow into one side of the turbine when the flap is closed. This spools the turbo more quickly. As boost builds you should slowly open that flap and allow exhaust to both sides to limit overall back pressure.

What did that turbo come off? I know RX7's had those quick spool valves built in, but I wasn't aware of any large diesel turbos with one.

Last edited by Forcefed86; 06-27-2016 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Turbo is from a c13 cat. Garret gt4294 I think 68mm compressor. Does not have any quickspool valve in it but did have a built in gate. If I tied open the old gate and with the new 44mm gate operating normally it would show that I needed a bigger wastegate or better placement. More testing to follow. Alo thaught maybe it was in our rush tune if we put too much time in it, that would cause overboost? We're at like 17* I think. Wish I had a dyno in my garage....
Old 06-27-2016, 10:30 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by shortstroke
Turbo is from a c13 cat. Garret gt4294 I think 68mm compressor. Does not have any quickspool valve in it but did have a built in gate. If I tied open the old gate and with the new 44mm gate operating normally it would show that I needed a bigger wastegate or better placement. More testing to follow. Alo thaught maybe it was in our rush tune if we put too much time in it, that would cause overboost? We're at like 17* I think. Wish I had a dyno in my garage....
Thats crazy, so it was just venting one side of the scroll straight to the DP exit?

I'd drop that sucker down to 10-12* until you got it sorted.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:37 AM
Teching In

Yes one small flapper valve on one scroll, tried to use it alone to start with but was not working at all, that's why I went to the new 44mm gate. This is not a max effort car just a weekend cruiser would like 500 whp area max and be reliable. Still on stock sealed engine and trans. With 275,000 + miles.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

cool exhaust idea. can we get an idle clip?

progress is progress man, you're on the road!
Old 06-29-2016, 04:46 PM
Teching In

Did some more testing today, only took one pull to find out I need to redo my wastegate. Pulled the gate off and just had a 44mm hole in my turbine housing. Hammered on it and it was laggy to be expected but then ran up to 10 lbs before I even hit second gear. So where I have the gate in the housing, even wide *** open sounding like a tank doesn't bypass enough exhaust energy to make 0 psi of boost. Looking at the scrolls in the turbine housing it's still hitting and working on the turbine wheel before it reaches the waste gate hole.....drats. since I have a split scroll turbo and completely split hostide I need to do a gate on each bank or weld in a crossover in the hot side and put the gate there.....not sure why I like working on my car more than driving it
Old 06-29-2016, 05:26 PM
8 Second Club

Drop the timing way down and enjoy the boost?

Can you drill through the scroll where the original WG hole was to the other side of the scroll? So it vents both sides?

Maybe make the original WG hole larger like they do on the DSM turbos?

Old 06-29-2016, 05:45 PM
Teching In

Had the same thaughts on just dropping the timing down and just going with it. Also thaught about just running a pipe from my wastegate flange to the exhaust, and enjoying the 10 psi it builds that way.then I got wrenches out. Got the whole hostide off in 15 minutes. That's with stopping for a beer.

As you can see my banks are devided all the way into the turbo at the wheel. Thinking the gate on the housing idea would have worked better with an open turbine housing and joined hot side pipes. Going to weld up the hole in the housing and put the gate on the hotside in the merge. Think it will work better there.

Quick Reply: 70' Monte carlo, the gentlemans junkyard build