Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Supercharger vs Turbo.... OFFICIAL ARGUMENT THREAD.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oscs
Agreed. I wonder if Turbo chargers would in fact be faster if given the opportunity.
I'm sure they would just like FI was be an improvement with Nascar. They have their old rules and stick to them even though technology has the ability to get better results.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:10 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Drewstein
I'm sure they would just like FI was be an improvement with Nascar. They have their old rules and stick to them even though technology has the ability to get better results.
Yeah I'm sure but the question was more related to if in fact a or two turbo chargers would produce a better results than a supercharger if no regulation was placed on either design.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oscs
Yeah I'm sure but the question was more related to if in fact a or two turbo chargers would produce a better results than a supercharger if no regulation was placed on either design.
I don't think 2 turbos would. I think you would need 4 Gtrim turbines to be equal in power to what they have now. So atleast 4 LF turbos to be equal and the blowers still have lots of upgrades they could do lol.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My car is at the shop now getting motor /trans work done. Next will be a procharger, probably a F1R. I would go with a single turbo setup, but I want to retain everything and I don't want to hack up my car. I have no experience in either setup. I don't know what either feels like to drive. As far as I know, the procharger makes all its power up top and makes less torque than a turbo. That's what I don't like. What I do like is that its self contained and easier to install.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:27 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Ask yourself this though.... You say you are planning an F1R, so you are shooting for ~900-1000rwhp, and you say it's a daily driver, having too much torque, at low rpms on the street, or even at the track, just hurts the launch, and blows off the tires and then what's the use in making more torque?

This is why most guys at that power level run boost controllers to limit the amount of boost in low rpms/low mph so the tires don't get blown off. Let's face it, there is only so much torque you can put down, once you go past that point, you start chasing stickier, bigger tires, more suspension work, and it's a slippery slope.

So if the procharger doesn't make quite the same amount of torque down low that a turbo does, or quite as quick, then I think that is a benefit on the street because it makes the car a little more streetable. I know for me, how much torque I make is more than enough, it's nearly 800ft/lbs at peak, and over 700 at 4000rpm.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Are there any turbo kits out there that allow you to keep A/C and stock K-member?
Old 10-23-2016, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
Are there any turbo kits out there that allow you to keep A/C and stock K-member?
on3 and huron both make one that retains ac and stock k member as long as you side exit the exhaust, its not the turbo stuff that makes the k member not work, its the downpipes to your exhaust from what I have read and seen on my car/friends, im going to attempt to make my stock k member work but I doubt it will because I have to go from whatever turbo outlet is for exhaust to 3in for my current exhaust, so its either new exhaust or new k member..and I really like my current exhaust so...
Old 10-23-2016, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im on the boat now too.. im wanting boost but cant choose between the 2... either a procharged f1 or a big single turbo car..
Old 10-23-2016, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ragna
on3 and huron both make one that retains ac and stock k member as long as you side exit the exhaust, its not the turbo stuff that makes the k member not work, its the downpipes to your exhaust from what I have read and seen on my car/friends, im going to attempt to make my stock k member work but I doubt it will because I have to go from whatever turbo outlet is for exhaust to 3in for my current exhaust, so its either new exhaust or new k member..and I really like my current exhaust so...
If thats the case then a D1 is in my future. Not giving up AC or changing the k-member...sure not cutting a hole in the side of my car.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Ask yourself this though.... You say you are planning an F1R, so you are shooting for ~900-1000rwhp, and you say it's a daily driver, having too much torque, at low rpms on the street, or even at the track, just hurts the launch, and blows off the tires and then what's the use in making more torque?

This is why most guys at that power level run boost controllers to limit the amount of boost in low rpms/low mph so the tires don't get blown off. Let's face it, there is only so much torque you can put down, once you go past that point, you start chasing stickier, bigger tires, more suspension work, and it's a slippery slope.

So if the procharger doesn't make quite the same amount of torque down low that a turbo does, or quite as quick, then I think that is a benefit on the street because it makes the car a little more streetable. I know for me, how much torque I make is more than enough, it's nearly 800ft/lbs at peak, and over 700 at 4000rpm.
Actually, Its not a daily anymore. I just updated my sig after a year lol. Also, I don't like the quality of some of these turbo kits.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ragna
This isn't true. Huron has an AC kit that works with a turbo friendly k-member if you want to retain AC that badly. There aren't stock k-member solutions that aren't custom.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:14 AM
On The Tree

If thats the case then a D1 is in my future. Not giving up AC or changing the k-member...sure not cutting a hole in the side of my car.
whatever floats your goat i guess. Supercharger setups are just to outta my budget to care hence why i went with my twin turbo setup. Got it from a friend for cheap compared to how much id of paid new.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist

Idk my turbo car hooks insane on the street. If I get spool it launches insane hard or spins a little and takes off. If it spins to much I just don't let the turbo spool as much off the line. Then it hooks perfect and hits full boost about 20-30mph. Of course I'm only making about 550rwhp probably... Once I get my twin pumps it will be ready for 12+psi . Then we will see how big of a problem traction is...

I have had 3 procharged cars... IMO vett's procharger kits are much better and easier to install then f-body kits and just work better. I put prochargers on both my vett's in a weekend and retained a/c. Prochargers are easy to install, keep a/c, and are self contained and don't require drilling to the oil pan. I think I would prefer a procharger on a vette over turbo for those reasons.

On an f-body it depends how much $ you want to spend and if you want to retain a/c ect ect, but I have never driven anything as fun as a turbo car... The noise itself can't be beat IMO. The sound of the car spooling never gets old and makes me every time. On top of that when boost hits it feels like it pulls waay harder then any procharged car I have had on the same boost level. And on my turbo car once I get my twin pumps all I have to do is turn the **** and make 750 hp. Then turn the **** back down and daily drive it.. Don't have to worry about changing belts, pullys or breaking tensioners...
Old 10-24-2016, 03:25 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

There is a TON of room in the back of a C5. A $190 gt45 can easily be mounted in the muffler area and will provide more power than the typical bolt-on superchargers with less lag and still retain the AC. All done for about 1/5 the price of the typical bolt-on blower kit. So even if you have to pay to have the hotside and cold side fabricated, you’re still in the ball park and most likely ahead of the total overhead cost.

Name:  DSC00156.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  103.8 KB

If you cut the floor out of the rear trunk area you can put 3 gt45’s back there…. You also have all the added weight in the back where you want it.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:06 AM
TECH Addict

Let me as you guys this. I know i would have to get rid of my headers but would my kooks Tds work with a single turbo? As you guys know its an expensive system and id like to keep it.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:21 PM
10 Second Club

Let me as you guys this. I know i would have to get rid of my headers but would my kooks Tds work with a single turbo? As you guys know its an expensive system and id like to keep it.
Depends what your wanting to do, but either way I'd say it would be smarter to just sell your whole system and that would pay for a chunk of the turbo kit. Also you kind of seem like you don't want to do any cutting on the car... Your going to have to do a little cutting and change a lot if you want to go turbo...
Old 10-25-2016, 12:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

I HAD what I considered to be an excellent turbo street car and was my DD for quite some time. 6 speed with a stroker motor and a front mount single T76GTS. It spooled super quick, made good power on low boost, and ran 10's at the track driving to and from the track getting 30mpg....All while retaining A/C and full weight and leather interior with a nice sound system.

I sold the car and ended up buying a different toy, see sig, and will be installing a D1SC kit within the next couple of months. I think I'll be a good guinea pig to compare/contrast the procharger setup vs. turbo setup as I've played with just about everything short of a compound boost setup. Most people start with blowers and then move to turbos, I'll be doing the opposite, so it'll be interesting.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:26 PM
TECH Addict

Ill be talking with a local shop that does cuatom turbo builds next week just to see what they say. But it sounds like a D1 is just better suited for my needs.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:47 PM
10 Second Club

I've been on both sides. Built and procharged the c5z then sold it and built the turbo camaro and then went back and had a procharged c6. To have a turbo car where you keep a/c and keep it comfortable IMO it is going to take a lot more $ and time then buying a nice used procharged kit that you can put on in a weekend and retain a/c easily..

Also depends a lot on the car and what you yourself are whiling to do to it. For me an f-body is a lot different then a vette. I was not going to cut anything or modify anything on my 15k mile c6 that could not easily go back to stock. Now if I had a **** ton of $ I would have had a turbo on the c5z and the c6 because they are much easier to make fast.

So IMO if it's a car you don't want to change a lot on or you don't want to cut or modify things on or possible hurt resale value then procharger is a great way to make good power for a decent price.. If it's a car that you want to be very fast and don't mind modifying a few things I think turbo is the way to go. And for all out fun factor I will say again a turbo car is very hard to beat. The sound and the way a turbo car pulls is like nothing else.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:02 AM
TECH Addict

I bought the car brand new and it's really clean, ~18k miles and I have all the stock parts so I don't want to do anything I can't undo. Fairly rare color combo as well. I have ridden in a few high HP (900rwhp+) turbo cars and they are very fun, but a D1 is just so easy to bolt on.

Not sure about my heads, may put the stock ones back on and sell these to offset the cost and a blower cam. Buy a different front bumper and do FMIC, I'll see what my tuner suggests. I'd like to be around 600-650 rwhp with a safe tune.

Quick Reply: Supercharger vs Turbo.... OFFICIAL ARGUMENT THREAD.