Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

2 bar map sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 12:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 bar map sensor question

I have a 5.3 turbo blow through setup using a msd 6010 and 2 bar map. I run 15 degrees timing base and it reaches that by 14 psi so my question is can I turn the boost up to 18 without buying a 3 bar since the timing is already as low as it need to be by 15 psi? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 05-29-2016, 02:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

You can do it, but same with pegging any sensor and operating beyond its normal range, it is not really a good idea.

Obviously all tuning will need to take place running at this higher boost level even if the ecu isnt fully aware how much boost it is running.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hillskyle
I have a 5.3 turbo blow through setup using a msd 6010 and 2 bar map. I run 15 degrees timing base and it reaches that by 14 psi so my question is can I turn the boost up to 18 without buying a 3 bar since the timing is already as low as it need to be by 15 psi? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Do the right thing fam. Upgrade to a 3 bar and keep everything safe and reliable.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:49 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

In all honesty, using a MAP sensor for timing alone isn't particularly bad thing.
The problem with a 2 bar MAP in a high boost fuel injection application is that it can't properly adjust fueling for the higher boost.

Your carb will adjust fueling. The MAP sensor is only adjusting timing.
Compare this to HPTuners for a fuel injected app. Even with a 3 bar SD operating system, the timing tables only allow you to adjust timing up to the 2 bar limit. So basically, whatever you put in that bottom column, timing is flat-lined right there.
So if you put 12 degrees of timing at 14 PSI and turn it up to 30 PSI, it won't go over or under 12 degrees of timing. You're basically accomplishing the same thing. As long as the MSD doesn't do some oddball scaling when you boost over 14 PSI... then set the last column for timing where you want it to stay, and turn up the boost.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Ok thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: 2 bar map sensor question