Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Help choosing a turbo Free HT3B or no?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help choosing a turbo Free HT3B or no?

I'm trying to plan out my build here and I would like some help on my turbo choice.

I just sold my truck and happen to have a brand new in box HT3B turbo that I had plans to use on my truck but well. . . I have too many toys.

The big downside to an HT3B is it's actually built backwards to most turbos so if I ever wanted to change turbos in the future I would have to replumb the whole system. As of this moment the turbo owes me nothing so the options are, use it because it owes me nothing, or sell it and buy an inexpensive (on3) turbo that has the correct built should I ever want to upgrade. If I do go with a different turbo what should I be looking at? 76/65 78/75 or something different?

Here is what I want to do with my car

1967 Buick Skylark-never been across the scales but around the 3400-3700 pound mark. I will likely add vintage air or try to make some factory AC work so my wife might actually enjoy this car in the future.

5.3 LM7 mild turbo cam, truck manifolds, 862/706 heads

4l80 trans, stock or low stall converter. I will only be buying a converter if I find a used one cheap enough. I do drive this thing on cruises and in town quite a bit.

Unknown rear gear- I'm getting my hands on a 9" that I need to rebuild and put brackets on for my car and I can gear it to my pleasing. But having such a low compression I'm thinking of going with a relatively low gear to keep a little bottom end. Probably 3.73 since I still want to drive it on the freeway, unless you think that is going to be too low of a gear?

I don't plan on making this a track car since I don't want to section the frame out for mini tubs in the rear so it's not like I'll be through giant slicks on it. I'll take it once or twice just to see though.

I would like above 700 whp or more if possible. And I guess one thing I've always wanted to be able to do is a 40mph rolling burnout because, well, who doesn't want to be able to do that? So in other words I want to keep a healthy amount of bottom end torque since it's basically just a spirited driver and cruiser. I'm sure I will take it to the track a couple times but that is far from what it's being built for.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That 3b is old technology and physically really large and heavy as you know. Many better options out there for your goals. Which 3b is it? Lots of variations. Mine has a 32cm exhaust housing, it's massive.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

I am fairly certain is the 26 cm housing. But yes it is a giant turbo. I mean it would get to close if not too my goal but between is size old tech and reverse rotation feel like I should sell and be better off with an on3 turbo or the like
Old 07-23-2016, 07:49 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There used to be a build thread here of a 6.0 Camaro that made 600 or so horsepower before he blew up the t56. There is a YouTube video floating around. Plan too see where mine can take me on a 5.3 with 80lb injectors.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Damn fox bodies and their hoodstacks lmao
Old 07-24-2016, 08:33 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 67Lark
Damn fox bodies and their hoodstacks lmao
Test fit. Haha

Quick Reply: Help choosing a turbo Free HT3B or no?