Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Overheating with Ac on

Old 08-06-2016, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Overheating with Ac on

Installed a new motor built with a P1 pro charger and when I turn on the air condition the car will start to heat up and also today I installed a new 16 inch aftermarket fan in front of the radiator and is still overheating when I turn the Ac on, the fans are wired correctly , can anyone help me out or give me any pointers on Wat to look for to resolve this issue the car is making around 750-800 hp, the car only starts to overheat when the Ac is on.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by edward_garcia_69
Installed a new motor built with a P1 pro charger and when I turn on the air condition the car will start to heat up and also today I installed a new 16 inch aftermarket fan in front of the radiator and is still overheating when I turn the Ac on, the fans are wired correctly , can anyone help me out or give me any pointers on Wat to look for to resolve this issue the car is making around 750-800 hp, the car only starts to overheat when the Ac is on.
Just dead curious and unrelated, what kind of build did you go with on the procharger? Still a 346 CI LS1 or did you upgrade? Heads, Cam? - 750 - 800 HP is alot even for a Procharger.

Is it overheating while the car is idle or street driving? or is it only overheating on the highway?

If its only overheating on the highway, its most likely your temperature sensor. Im not sure if you went with a used or new one on your new motor but when mine are going bad they say my car is overheating when it really isnt. Shoot a heat gun at the motor when it says its over heating primarily at the temperature sensor to confirm if its really overheating or not.

If on the flip side its overheating while you're idle or street driving, check the basics first..Make sure you have enough coolant in the system. Clean or replace your air-condensor (infront of the radiator)
Old 08-07-2016, 03:09 PM
Teching In

The built is a 383 with milded heads, and all the bolt on's , custom cam, , I was told it could be the radiator cap, or the thermostat . It only starts to over heat when I drive it on the street with the Ac on.
Wat and how can I clean the AC condenser .. Is there a special substance that I can use to clean the condenser
Old 08-08-2016, 01:52 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by edward_garcia_69
What and how can I clean the AC condenser .. Is there a special substance that I can use to clean the condenser
Vacuum cleaner and dentist tools. (If there are things lodged in the fins, etc.)

Is this an F-Body? When you upgraded the engine, did you upgrade the cooling/radiator also?

The condenser doing its thing will heat up some of the air hitting the radiator. If you've doubled the power (and capacity to generate heat) of the engine and haven't added capacity to how much heat the radiator can physically transfer, you could have problems. (If you are skating on the edge constantly, just turning on the A/C could be enough to push you over the hump.)
Old 08-11-2016, 09:33 AM
FormerVendor

If its overheating only when moving and the a/c is on, there isn't enough airflow going past the cores to cool it down. That means either you need to work on heat extraction (getting the hot air out of the engine compartment) or you need larger / more fans to get enough CFM over the core surface. Of course, this is assuming that your cores are clean / no blockages or debris.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

okay , this needed to be moved to forced induction .

You need to tell us more about your mods and whats done .

My best guess is you need a 93-97 v6 camaro radiator . Its thicker than the ls1 radiator and has the two hook ups you need and nothing else.

160 thermostat

you will need to add a second 9 inch fan to your shroud by the procharger 16inch fan .
Old 08-11-2016, 02:45 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
okay , this needed to be moved to forced induction .
Excellent point. It has been done.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

You need to post pics op. It could be a number of things
Old 08-13-2016, 06:26 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...-spal-fan.html

This thread should help you out. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com