Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Holley boost control-co2 or compressor air?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 07:04 PM
8 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Ok, stupid question here,

If an alternative to running a C02 bottle is an air compressor like the ViAir, why can't you just get a bottle, (even an old used NOS bottle?) and run air in it filled from your home air compressor?
Old 09-01-2016, 07:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oscs
I don't understand what your asking. What does the method Holley uses to control its solenoids have to do with the simple formula for motoring BP? Maybe I'm missing something.
Yes, the many drinks that I had before I had that awesome post. For whatever reason I saw the graph he posted and didn't register the dome sensor as the pressure sensor. I'm guessing I connected that with duty cycle. At this point, your guess is as good as mine.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:51 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Yes, the many drinks that I had before I had that awesome post. For whatever reason I saw the graph he posted and didn't register the dome sensor as the pressure sensor. I'm guessing I connected that with duty cycle. At this point, your guess is as good as mine.
I was a bit confused.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ratical
Ok, stupid question here,

If an alternative to running a C02 bottle is an air compressor like the ViAir, why can't you just get a bottle, (even an old used NOS bottle?) and run air in it filled from your home air compressor?
You can but you have to fill it a lot also co2 is filled to around 1800psi and shop air is maybe 150psi. I just don't want a air compressor in my car or have to fill a tank every time I take it out.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:01 PM
8 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Busted67
You can but you have to fill it a lot also co2 is filled to around 1800psi and shop air is maybe 150psi. I just don't want a air compressor in my car or have to fill a tank every time I take it out.
Ah that would make sense. I think for now I am just going to reference off the charge pipe. If I need more control I will go CO2. Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Would you mind sharing your boost control parts list and some pictures? I am a little confused what to buy and where in the setup to install the vacuum lines.
Thanks
Old 09-10-2016, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
If it is plumbed according to their instructions then yes.

Although it still baffles me why they need 2 solenoids to do the job of one.
Dual solenoid wastes less pressure source and is more accurate. That's why AMS and Leach use this method as well. The Holley can be used with a Single Noid also.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
Whats wrong with using a traditional controller like a profec B? $150~ done
2 $30 noids and 1 $20 pressure sensor = $80 for far superior boost control that can be logged and manipulated vs all other sensors in the car > Profec B
Old 09-10-2016, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

There is no advantage to CO2 or compressed air. When using compressed air, you can either regulate to a fixed constant 60-80 psi like CO2 or you can stick a 0-150 pressure transducer in the tank and reference it back to the Holley. On my street car I run compressed air as filling CO2 bottles is a PITA. On the 7 sec car we have a medium CO2 bottle that we fill in the trailer with a 10 lb (mother) nitrous bottle (with nitrous in it). It's just being used for pressure.

As for running off the compressor cover, you need to make boost to make pressure if you do it this way, where as the external pressure source is available from idle. This allows for much better control and faster spool.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LosLS2
2 $30 noids and 1 $20 pressure sensor = $80 for far superior boost control that can be logged and manipulated vs all other sensors in the car > Profec B
Im running all holley boost control components. I spent $100 per noid and $117 pressure sensor. I see your avatar is Holley. I assumed its the same as the $30 MAC valves but got caught up in having the Holley sticker apparently. lol Which is what I'm assuming you are saying they are the same. Esp when it showed up. The instructions for the dominator address using their noid and not the other MAC valves out there, and say its configured for the Holley. Is there anything you have to do to configure the $30 ebay MAC any different than the Holley sticker one or you saying its the exact same? Not that I can think of needing another pressure senor for my car but for future reference. Where do you get the $20 one and anything you need to do to configure it as well?
Old 09-11-2016, 06:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The $20 pressure sensor is the ebay one. They give you the offsets to use for the custom pressure sensor. I'm not sure about the noids.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey Los. I took one of your classes. I loved it. You know you stuff. You mind sharing what noids your using? I would love to copy what you did so I can get a tune from you?
Dan
Old 09-11-2016, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chub406
Im running all holley boost control components. I spent $100 per noid and $117 pressure sensor. I see your avatar is Holley. I assumed its the same as the $30 MAC valves but got caught up in having the Holley sticker apparently. lol Which is what I'm assuming you are saying they are the same. Esp when it showed up. The instructions for the dominator address using their noid and not the other MAC valves out there, and say its configured for the Holley. Is there anything you have to do to configure the $30 ebay MAC any different than the Holley sticker one or you saying its the exact same? Not that I can think of needing another pressure senor for my car but for future reference. Where do you get the $20 one and anything you need to do to configure it as well?
Yeah, just noticed that the LS1Tech police stripped the text out of my signature. I am not a Holley Employee. I am an independent remote tuner/educator for the Holley EFI. Yes, I am talking about buying the Mac valves and eBay Transducer. The noids are identical and the transducers usually are also. If not, they are easily rescaled to the correct voltage range in the software.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fishmasterdan
Hey Los. I took one of your classes. I loved it. You know you stuff. You mind sharing what noids your using? I would love to copy what you did so I can get a tune from you?
Dan
Thanks for the kind words. I work hard to keep 100% customer satisfaction.

MAC 35A-AAA-DDBA-1BA 3-Port Boost Control Solenoid Valve

Type that in a browser
Old 09-11-2016, 06:53 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fishmasterdan
Dan
Los/Steve 2016
Old 09-11-2016, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, just noticed that the LS1Tech police stripped the text out of my signature. I am not a Holley Employee. I am an independent remote tuner/educator for the Holley EFI. Yes, I am talking about buying the Mac valves and eBay Transducer. The noids are identical and the transducers usually are also. If not, they are easily rescaled to the correct voltage range in the software.
I was thinking of using a eBay transducer for dome pressure and a Holley one for my fuel pressure. But I was scared of the eBay one failing. How much luck have u had with them?
Old 09-12-2016, 03:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh ok. Wish I would have known this before placing my order. lol Just like the additional accessories wiring plugs. I paid 117 for the same one the 4l80e uses. Obviously not realizing I was getting the wrong one. Found a guy on the Holley forums that listed the part numbers. Got the correct one for under 10 shipped to my door. lol

Thats right! You are the one that offers remoting in and walk/throughs over the phone for a few hours for a couple hundred bucks. Everyone that has gone through your class has said it is worth its wait in gold and you are the man when it comes to Holley info. What is your fb page again? I wanted to get more info. I can pm you for more info to not dirty the thread.

Not trying to thread jack, just saying from everyone else, this is the guy to listen too. lol
Old 09-12-2016, 10:23 AM
8 Second Club

Word of caution with the eBay transducers. The connection between the pig tail and the sensor can get loose and cause ALL KINDS of fucked things to happen. I chased a intermittent boost issue for a month before we figured out what it was. Just make sure the connection is nice and tight.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by oscs
Word of caution with the eBay transducers. The connection between the pig tail and the sensor can get loose and cause ALL KINDS of fucked things to happen. I chased a intermittent boost issue for a month before we figured out what it was. Just make sure the connection is nice and tight.
ive had three bad eBay transducers over the past week. I was using one to log fuel pressure and every one ended up leaking fuel into the connector plug! Don't ask how, but three in a row did it. They all air checked against test pressures and we're consistent, but when used with the fuel they all turned out to be junk. No more for me I'll overpay for the Holley ones.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:02 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 3 window
ive had three bad eBay transducers over the past week. I was using one to log fuel pressure and every one ended up leaking fuel into the connector plug! Don't ask how, but three in a row did it. They all air checked against test pressures and we're consistent, but when used with the fuel they all turned out to be junk. No more for me I'll overpay for the Holley ones.
I'd buy an autometer. The Holley is cheap China **** too.

Quick Reply: Holley boost control-co2 or compressor air?