Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ANY experience with aftermarket d1sc impellers...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts
Default ANY experience with aftermarket d1sc impellers...

First off, I really like the D1SC because it has the quiet gears and it doesn't immediately require forged internals. Buying a used one and having it professionally rebuilt seems like the quickest way into owning one.

Now, there are a number of aftermarket billet impellers available for this unit, and I am wondering if anyone has any experience with them. Jon Bond offers a warrantied rebuild service as well as a 1475cfm billet impeller. Supercharger rebuilders offers a similar rebuild service and a similar billet "spiral" impeller.

I want to know if these aftermarket impellers are durable. And I would like to know if they provide any measurable improvement.

Also, I will attach pictures to illustrate what I am asking about, but what are the pros and cons of these two designs? One has every blade in the center reaching a level plain. The other design has every other blade clipped at a lower level than the rest of the blades. From what I can tell ProCharger, themselves, uses the trimmed style where every other blade is shorter. The Jon Bond billet impeller is similar to the stock clipped impeller. The Supercharger Rebuilders "spiral" billet impeller has every blade reaching the same plain in the center. Pictures to follow:

Jon Bond billet impeller.

Supercharger Rebuilders "spiral" billet impeller.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

To clarify my intentions, I am going to start with a stock rotating assembly build and add a D1SC. I am going to buy it used and have it rebuilt no matter what, so I might as well stick one of these aftermarket impellers in there from the beginning... if they are durable and provide an improvement.

Another reason I like the D1SC is because you can max it out before you ever need 6-bolt heads. So if I ever stick a forged stroker kit in the motor, I can really lean on a D1SC with an improved impeller and not need to step up to an F-series blower and 6-bolt heads.

Just looking for thoughts on and experience with aftermarket D1SC impellers.

PS. Steve Morris no longer offers the internal ProVolute CNC porting on D1SC's, I already emailed them about that.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:35 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

More than likely my new D-1SC head unit prices are close or lower than what you will have in a used D-1SC plus the rebuild cost. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 09-01-2016, 12:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't comment on the D1SC aftermarket impellers but I've been running the Jon Bond F1A impeller for a while now. My factory impeller was trashed due to bearing failure. The aftermarket one is very nice. On the same pulley combo I run 7.65/4.38 and nothing else changed, it makes about 1-1.5 more psi though the curve than the factory impeller probably due to the tighter clearances between the blades and volute. I have not maxed it out though to see what it's capable of and don't plan to.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:36 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSS
Can't comment on the D1SC aftermarket impellers but I've been running the Jon Bond F1A impeller for a while now. My factory impeller was trashed due to bearing failure. The aftermarket one is very nice. On the same pulley combo I run 7.65/4.38 and nothing else changed, it makes about 1-1.5 more psi though the curve than the factory impeller probably due to the tighter clearances between the blades and volute. I have not maxed it out though to see what it's capable of and don't plan to.
That's very interesting to hear that the JB F-1A impeller is a good improvement over the factory one.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:22 PM
TECH Addict

Thank you for the information, gentlemen. I think a D1SC with the JB impeller and a 8.65"/4.00" pulley combo will probably find its way into my engine bay.

Definitely welcome any other experiences with aftermarket impellers.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

Just got a reply from supdercharger rebuilders... well, I just checked my email, they sent the reply August 31st... anyways, their "spiral" impeller is designed to improve low rpm response. In case anyone else was curious.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:32 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I'm really interested in the JB impeller for the F1a... maybe some day it'll make it's way to my car.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

The JB D1SC impeller flows 1475cfm, the stock D1SC is 1400cfm.

The JB F1A impeller flows 1700cfm, the stock F1A is 1575cfm... 1700cfm is F1R territory! That is awesome. The bigger F-series blower really responds to whatever JB is doing with their impellers. Pretty cool getting the same flow as a 10.5" blower from a 9" head unit.

I like how Jon Bond lists the flow of their impellers. Supercharger rebuilders straight up said in their email that they have not tested their impellers for flow data. I do like being provided with information.

Last edited by DavidBoren; 09-05-2016 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

keep in mind without viewing the island flow chart you have no real comparison.

at what pressure is JB claiming their numbers vs procharger?

I thought procharger didn't even flow their parts??
Old 09-06-2016, 07:40 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I'm sure Procharger flows their parts, they just don't publish the results, anywhere.

I would be interesting to see some data on prochargers in terms of cfm output at different blower speeds, but I have a feeling that it would lead to more problems, especially if they showed that the cfm continued to increase with increased blower speed... people would be over spinning them left and right.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:18 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked into this too extensively and decided to stick with stock impeller. JB seems to have better reputation but I left mutliple voicemails and emails and never hard back. I have not seen any track or dyno comparisons at all for the JB impellers or I would have bought one when my impeller got a little messed up from my intake coming loose.

I personally know someone who had a supercharger rebuild cast impeller come apart on the dyno and it went off like a grenade. literally. thank god nobody we standing by it or maybe not survive. their customer service after that was horrible from what I hear and was basically "F U" so I will never deal with them. Their impeller looks terrible in the pic too with flat "edges" on the part that should be knife edged.

I am surprised that if the JB impellers are so much better why has JB not done some dyno tests himself? why not run a dyno test and publish it? tons and tons of guys at the track with D1s yet I have never seen one track test of the JB impeller? why? makes me nervous and if he could verify his claims with real dyno tests and track times he would sell them like hot cakes considering procharger pillages their customers on new impellers and rebuilds

the comment in this thread is the single only comment I could ever find for any aftermarket procharger impeller with real numbers behind it. very interesting.

interesting about steve morris as i just called them last month and they said they were still doing those.

I made 900whp with a D1SC and lots of people making 850whp on D1 so never really saw the need to go with aftermarket impeller and take the risk of killing someone or myself if it flew apart at 60k rpm. Procharger is a huge company that spends immense money on R&D and these spin at 60k+ rpm. If it was as easy as milling a new impeller why did steve morris go through all the trouble of reshaping volute etc? and if it was that easy why would procharger not make their prochargers better with the better impellers? I am assuming the changes JB or others are making either are resulting in higher IATs or worse reliability, etc. Most things in life have some compromise and I doubt this is any different.

Bob has best prices anywhere by far too. by the time you rebuild a d1 with aftermarket impeller you won't be far from what you could get an f1a or f194a for and those are both proven.

Last edited by neverstop; 09-06-2016 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SilverSS

have you dynoed your car or any before/after track times on this? super interesting.

Last edited by neverstop; 09-06-2016 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

CajunDagger, Procharger has charts with listed maximum cfm from each head unit. So I can only assume that they do flow test their blowers. I have not found island-style pressure maps for them, though.

NeverStop, you bring up valid points. I do not know why JB does not/has not verified his impeller design on a dyno or on the track. Maybe when he tested his impeller and got the 1475cfm number he just stopped there because it is already an improvement over what Procharger lists for the D1SC. How many ways do you have to prove something is better? It flows more air, chances are if you have a system that can take advantage of more air, then you will probably go faster. Testing an impeller on whatever machine tests such things is probably a lot cheaper than building a car and motor to test on the track and dyno. I would like to see the dyno tests and track results, but I can kind of understand why he doesn't have those results to post on his website. He rebuilds blowers, that doesn't mean he has a vehicle to test every model of blower he rebuilds.

And, as for Steve Morris, they are still doing the internal ProVolute stuff on the F-series blowers, but not the D1SC. They do, however, still offer the external ProVolute for the D1SC, just not the internal CNC porting.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:58 PM
Launching!

i hear what you're saying but if there are thousands of guys around the country who have ran D1SC at the track and not a single one of them on yellow bullet, here, other places have tested one of these?

i mean they don't cost anything to JB barely because he makes them, and not a single one of his customers ran one at the track or dynoed it before/after? with all the rebuilding he does, he probably has D1s just laying around and yet he couldn't put one on his own car for one dyno run?

just seems like if this was really worth 50-75hp at least one of the guys at the track would be swapping this out looking for the last tenth and reporting back?

I tried to contact him repeatedly but never heard back and eventually just had mine redone with stock impeller.

for the $1500 it would take to rebuild a d1sc and put this impeller in though you could just get a better blower?

when these go bad it is horrific, and there are reports of aftermarket impellers failing, so i don't see why take the chance with an unproven aftermarket one that i can find zero test results on which can maim or hurt people or at the least ruin your car if it breaks. Especially when we don't know anything about IATs, reliability, etc

I can tell you that with the 900whp i make in my setup, i spin 19" nt05r in 4th gear at >80mph if the pavement isn't perfect. If I wanted more I'd just step up to an f1a94 for the extra $600 and those have made >1,200whp and gone 180mph in the 1/4. I just don't see how one of these aftermarket impellers makes sense, let alone for a street car

if JB wants to sponsor me one though I wouldn't mind being the first to test one. I've max'd out a D1 for all its worth and log my car all the time, so any gains from the impeller would be pure.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:00 PM
Launching!

surely if it is truly legit though JB has some results. Maybe email him this thread and let him chime in where many of his customers can see?
Old 09-06-2016, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

I will email him. Can't hurt to try, right? Granted, I have not heard anything encouraging about his customer service.

Your maxed setup does seem like a perfect candidate to test one of these impellers on, and measure any true improvements.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:50 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I had messaged JB on his facebook page, and he replied to me the same day. When I told him I wasn't even spinning my Procharger to max yet, he actually steered me away from buying his impeller before I had maxed out mine yet.

To me that said a lot, because he wasn't trying to sell me something I didn't need, yet.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

That is good to hear. I will wait a while to see if I get a reply via email before asking him on Facebook. It is cool that he didn't try sell you something you did not need, yet. I like honest business.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by neverstop
have you dynoed your car or any before/after track times on this? super interesting.
sorry, no my car is just a street car and i do my own tuning. last time it saw a dyno was a long time ago with a d1sc. i will tell you that the jb impeller is a very nice piece and just a slightly enhanced copy of the factory impeller. my data logs are all i have to compare to as far as any improvements. If your procharger exploded and you wanted to fix it yourself instead of paying procharger repair prices, this is a good option.

Quick Reply: ANY experience with aftermarket d1sc impellers...