Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

1200hp engine build advice needed - LS3 or Iron block?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 05:34 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by asubennett
Not everyone is on the internet ....And, to me, at this levels your getting into magnum cranks, grp rods, etc... Where those parts will take 2300who of abuse at which point you need 6 bolt heads and the lsx or dart next block for better crank support.

Its kind of a weird niche of people who use it or need it...But Someone with a slayer crank, tfs heads, and a rod better than a comp star in a 4 bolt block could use these gaskets and max out their combo further than it is today with a little peace of mind...they are that good.
Barry at Air-Flo Tech in Ft. Lauderdale is just one of those guys you talk about. He uses parts that I've never heard mentioned on here and combos nobody uses here. He hand ports all his own heads too. Higher flow numbers than RED gets.....He builds the kinds of crazy LSx engines you're talking about. Every time I mention the internet and forums to him...he tells me to take a hike and shove the internet....he has no website and never surfs the web....LOL......hes a funny guy....but he builds the best and highest HP LSx's in the world....bar none. And they never fail. Hundreds of engines in South Florida, they just never break. Old timer.....knows it all.

I don't know much about the drag racing rules and different organizations....but a bunch of people go to him for these 6 and 7 second drag classes. He builds LSx single turbo engines for these cars. I stop by his shop all the time to say hello when I'm home from the Middle East. He always has 6-8 LSx builds going on, always had C5R engine builds in progress, ERL and Dart builds going on. And a bunch of regular sleeved badass LSx builds and iron LSX builds going too. It was an LSx candy store........

Last edited by LS6427; 09-26-2016 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dart Tech 1
tvanlant, I would recommend that you consider one of our LS NEXT Aluminum blocks. They are designed from the ground up to be the strongest and most well engineered blocks available.

Consider these features:
• Skirted and non-skirted design option available.

• Priority main oiling system.

• Available in deck heights from 9.240” up to 9.950”.

• STD or raised .388” cam location.

• Cylinder barrels extended .375” at the bottom.

• Extra thick decks ensure reliable head gasket seal.

• Blind head bolt holes don’t go through to water jacket.

• Scalloped water jackets increase flow around cylinders for better cooling.

• Clearance for 4.100” stroke w/ steel rods.

• Splayed outer bolts on middle main bearing caps.

• LS and Gen I style motor mounts.

• Provisions for OE stock roller lifters and cam.

• Uses stock timing covers and stock rear cover.

• All OE bolt holes for starter, water pump, etc.

• Driver or passenger side starter mounts.

• Parts kit sold separately (PN: 32000017).

http://dartheads.com/dart-product/ls...um-standard-2/

http://dartheads.com/dart-product/ls...um-full-skirt/

How much does that block cost.....no prices anywhere.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:24 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just don't understand why people would spend all the time and effort gold plating the GM iron block.. Yeah its cool that a few guys out there have pulled it off but a LSX block is a hell of a lot easier and built better. Just doesn't make sense to me. To each their own I guess.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The LSX block has head gasket issues around 2000hp even with the 6 bolt heads as an fyi...

I think most people build around the unicorn of 1000hp and 160mph traps - That makes for an outrageous street car and a really fast track car. But both of those marks are on ragged edge for an MLS gasket 4 bolt LS motor.

Yep, agree with you that an LSX block is better right off the bat and worth the investment. Unfortunately a lot of people in this game are carefully managing budgets (sounds funny) but it's true.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:38 AM
8 Second Club

The LSX block has head gasket issues around 2000hp even with the 6 bolt heads as an fyi...

I think most people build around the unicorn of 1000hp and 160mph traps - That makes for an outrageous street car and a really fast track car. But both of those marks are on ragged edge for an MLS gasket 4 bolt LS motor.

Yep, agree with you that an LSX block is better right off the bat and worth the investment. Unfortunately a lot of people in this game are carefully managing budgets (sounds funny) but it's true.
Yes I'm aware. Luckily I won't ever reach that point lol. Agreed X10 on the rest of the post.

Last edited by oscs; 09-27-2016 at 08:32 AM.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Want 1200whp the F1A-94 isn't the proper blower. Need to be using a F1X for sure.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:58 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by LS6427
How much does that block cost.....no prices anywhere.

The LS NEXT Aluminum is $5055.05 Jobber. Add $500 for 1/2" mains. Add $170 for 1/2" head studs. Add $100 for full skirt style block.

an LSX block is better right off the bat and worth the investment. Unfortunately a lot of people in this game are carefully managing budgets (sounds funny) but it's true.
If you want a great block, but are tight on budget. I would recommend the LS NEXT SHP block. It is $2330 jobber and does not need all the expensive machine work that the LSX next block needs. We took great care to make this the goto block for guys on a budget.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:07 PM
TECH Resident

Whats the difference in the SHP LSNext Block vs the LSNext Iron Block?

I'm interested in the LSNext line of blocks and was planning on eventually going with an LSNext Iron Block but I'm now seeing the LSNext SHP blocks and aside from the skirting I'm not really sure on what the differences are. Is the price diference of the SHP vs Iron LSNext block much different?
Old 09-28-2016, 01:27 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by dementia
Whats the difference in the SHP LSNext Block vs the LSNext Iron Block?

I'm interested in the LSNext line of blocks and was planning on eventually going with an LSNext Iron Block but I'm now seeing the LSNext SHP blocks and aside from the skirting I'm not really sure on what the differences are. Is the price diference of the SHP vs Iron LSNext block much different?
The LS NEXT SHP block is a grade 30 iron, fully-skirted block designed to be stronger, better oiling, 6-bolt direct replacement for the factory block. It is $2329.55

The LS NEXT iron is a high nickel iron block that uses a special oil pan for improved windage. The LS NEXT iron block also has a Moroso adapter available to use an OEM style LS oil pan. Because of the alloy, the LS NEXT iron block is ultimately stronger than the SHP. The LS NEXT iron has a jobber price of $2637.18

We rate the SHP up to 1500 HP although we don't really know its limits yet. As you know, that can be influenced by usage/user. We recommend the LS NEXT iron or LS NEXT aluminum above 1500 HP.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

Awesome, thanks for the info. I should have asked, what would an Iron LSNext2 run?
Old 09-28-2016, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

The LS NEXT SHP block is a grade 30 iron, fully-skirted block designed to be stronger, better oiling, 6-bolt direct replacement for the factory block. It is $2329.55

The LS NEXT iron is a high nickel iron block that uses a special oil pan for improved windage. The LS NEXT iron block also has a Moroso adapter available to use an OEM style LS oil pan. Because of the alloy, the LS NEXT iron block is ultimately stronger than the SHP. The LS NEXT iron has a jobber price of $2637.18

We rate the SHP up to 1500 HP although we don't really know its limits yet. As you know, that can be influenced by usage/user. We recommend the LS NEXT iron or LS NEXT aluminum above 1500 HP.
Wish I knew about this 4 months ago. Not bad pricing at all.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:08 PM
8 Second Club

What kind of additional machine work is needed? I'm assuming bores are not finished? Decks still need to be worked?
Old 09-28-2016, 05:01 PM
Banned

The LS NEXT Aluminum is $5055.05 Jobber. Add $500 for 1/2" mains. Add $170 for 1/2" head studs. Add $100 for full skirt style block.
Do you think that LS NEXT Aluminum block is stronger and more reliable than an iron LSX block? $5,800 is a lot and still have the week point of sleeves, compared to all iron?

You can also Darton sleeve an iron LSX block and it'll still cost less than the aluminum Dart. That would be the ultimate in strength for a block.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:50 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by oscs
What kind of additional machine work is needed? I'm assuming bores are not finished? Decks still need to be worked?
Cam tunnel, main line and lifter bores will all need to be finished. So, the LSX block will cost you a lot more than the LS NEXT to get ready to assemble.

Originally Posted by LS6427
Do you think that LS NEXT Aluminum block is stronger and more reliable than an iron LSX block? $5,800 is a lot and still have the week point of sleeves, compared to all iron?

You can also Darton sleeve an iron LSX block and it'll still cost less than the aluminum Dart. That would be the ultimate in strength for a block.

If the extra weight of cast iron is not a problem, then consider our LS NEXT iron block. We made it to be the strongest and best cast iron LS block you can buy. And, as noted above, it is much cheaper than the LSX block becasue it does not need the additional machine work.

Also, we have a billet aluminum block for the ultimate in strength and repair-ability.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cam tunnel, main line and lifter bores will all need to be finished. So, the LSX block will cost you a lot more than the LS NEXT to get ready to assemble.

If the extra weight of cast iron is not a problem, then consider our LS NEXT iron block. We made it to be the strongest and best cast iron LS block you can buy. And, as noted above, it is much cheaper than the LSX block becasue it does not need the additional machine work.

Also, we have a billet aluminum block for the ultimate in strength and repair-ability.
cha-ching. Those things are expensive.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:39 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by a05c
cha-ching. Those things are expensive.
Billet blocks are the most serious and most expensive option. But, if you need it, you need it.

Just look at it though.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:13 PM
FormerVendor

Default ERL Option

OP,

I would love to talk to you about our blocks. Our Superdeck 6-Bolt engines have been proven for many years in mild street applications as well as race dedicated 2,500HP+ cars.
Our block comes in about 150lbs. lighter than an iron block. The length of the sleeves/liners is also to be noted. Our liners are 5.800" which really helps with piston rock at BDC versus shorter liners.
This October we have new pricing coming into effect, because of the volume that we are now doing and since we have re-tooled our machinery to only LS blocks, we are now able to offer an even better price for our blocks.
Because we start with a factory casting you don't need to any aftermarket adapters, everything bolts right back on.
Here is a link to our block options with the new pricing listed, another nice thing about our blocks is that all machine work is included, you get the block ready for assembly! : http://www.erlperformance.com/produc...-for-assembly/

Last edited by ERL Performance; 09-29-2016 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

Just so we know, can we get the pricing on the LS Next2 Iron block?
Old 09-29-2016, 05:12 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by ERL Performance
OP,

I would love to talk to you about our blocks. Our Superdeck 6-Bolt engines have been proven for many years in mild street applications as well as race dedicated 2,500HP+ cars.
Our block comes in about 150lbs. lighter than an iron block. The length of the sleeves/liners is also to be noted. Our liners are 5.800" which really helps with piston rock at BDC versus shorter liners.
This October we have new pricing coming into effect, because of the volume that we are now doing and since we have re-tooled our machinery to only LS blocks, we are now able to offer an even better price for our blocks.
Because we start with a factory casting you don't need to any aftermarket adapters, everything bolts right back on.
Here is a link to our block options with the new pricing listed, another nice thing about our blocks is that all machine work is included, you get the block ready for assembly! : http://www.erlperformance.com/produc...-for-assembly/
I notice various core charges, just wondering that if you are replacing the liners etc...is there any difference starting with say an LS2, LS3 or the much cheaper "LS5.3" core you have listed ?
ie, does it really matter which core you start with ?

As I'm not in the US, outright purchase is the only option.
Also, can you add piston oil squirters to your blocks ?
Old 09-30-2016, 06:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Billet blocks are the most serious and most expensive option. But, if you need it, you need it.

Just look at it though.

Trust me ... I know... haha, I helped load a friend of mines spare engine into his trailer at Norwalk in 14'

one of your billet blocks, all-pro's etc.... just one of those uhhhhh that's expensive kinda things.

Quick Reply: 1200hp engine build advice needed - LS3 or Iron block?