Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Boost with fly cut pistons

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 10:18 AM
Launching!

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Boost with fly cut pistons

Just wanting some opinions on what to do. I have an 07 ly6 in my 68 Camaro that I had the pistons fly cut (.080) on the intake side for the big 2.16 valve to fit the n/a cam that is in it now (235/251 .621/.623). I have a on3 78/75 turbo, blow through carb from csu, a1000 pump with boost reference reg and all the supporting goodies. Would just like to change the cam and run no more than 11ish pounds of boost. Run it and see what happens and try not to get greedy or take it out and put new pistons in it? Thanks for any response
Old 10-01-2016, 09:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by 47ford
Just wanting some opinions on what to do. I have an 07 ly6 in my 68 Camaro that I had the pistons fly cut (.080) on the intake side for the big 2.16 valve to fit the n/a cam that is in it now (235/251 .621/.623). I have a on3 78/75 turbo, blow through carb from csu, a1000 pump with boost reference reg and all the supporting goodies. Would just like to change the cam and run no more than 11ish pounds of boost. Run it and see what happens and try not to get greedy or take it out and put new pistons in it? Thanks for any response
Spend your time dealing with the blow through carb issues, and leave the internals alone. Once properly set-up, blow throughs can work great, but getting them to that point can be a bit of a challenge. People get a bit too hung up on making an "ideal" turbo setup, when the reality is that most any motor will respond well to boost. The same power gains that take hours of wrenching and numerous dollars to be had N/A are usually available at the slightest twist of a boost controller **** with turbos.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:50 PM
Launching!

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm no carb God but I feel I got a handle on how to tune it especially after talking to Kevin from csu. My issue is that everyone says don't run a power adder with the stock piston that is fly cut. That is my only issue is durability of the fly cut on the piston not the tuning part of it. I've ran this set up on a 5.3 just plan on swaping it to the 6.0 in my Camaro.

Quick Reply: Boost with fly cut pistons