Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Change from 4L80 to Glide, 8.30@165 first outing

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by gametech
Great results, but just for informative purposes, it would be nice to know torque converter details on both setups. Either way, being able to drive to the grocery store in an 8 second ride is a boast few can make.
4L80: Circle D 258mm Triple Disk 1B (3500 stall speed)
Glide: PTC 9.5" 15x45 stator
Old 10-19-2016, 10:16 AM
8 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Only ERO's
I heard from a few that I would not like the 1.80/3.25's on the street. Don't mind it one bit for the little bit I used it so far.
I swapped this car over from a BBC, TH400 trans, 4.33 gears and a 29" tire. Trying to cruise on the highway at 3500rpm. Now it's an LS, 1.80 glide with 3.50 gears and a 31" tire. Car drives like a dream!
Old 10-19-2016, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you going to turn it up more this year?
Old 10-19-2016, 01:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by svslow
Are you going to turn it up more this year?
I am not sure how hard I am going to push it, but I am going to try to better the ET. I put different wastegate springs in, so yes, my plan is to run a couple more PSI. I also installed new chains on the limiters so I am planning to launch on a couple more PSI too.

With some good air (fall weather up North), a harder/faster 60', and a few more PSI downtrack, I am hoping it will lower the ET.

As of now, I am planning on this weekend and next weekend.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

I have a few plans as well if I were to get really close to that magical 7 second timeslip. I am a ways off from that at this time so we will see how this weekend goes.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What glide did you go with? Maybe I missed it. Also how do you like the Viking shocks? Based on the videos I would say they work!!
Old 10-24-2016, 12:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LanceL
What glide did you go with? Maybe I missed it. Also how do you like the Viking shocks? Based on the videos I would say they work!!
I went with a Rossler Terminator 6. I discussed my setup and use with Carl for about an hour. He said I could run the Terminate 4, 5, or 6. But after further thought, I felt the best application for me was to spend the money and get the bad boy. It has a 1.80 1st gear in it as well. I had the transmission in under 2 weeks from the time I ordered it to the time I pulled it off the delivery truck. Was extremely pleased in working with them.

I feel it is hard to beat the Viking coilovers for the price. They are an awesome strut and well worth the money and warranty they offer. I would gladly run them on another setup if I had them. However, I may have found the limitations for my setup and the launch I am trying to achieve.

The 8.30 pass had the extension at full tight and the limiters off the car (broke a chain on the pass before). I had changed the wastegate springs and was hoping to leave a little harder this past Saturday. I had the extension at full tight and had the limters on the 3rd bolt hole (never measured actual travel but was one hole tighter than I had ever previously ran). The first and only launch on Saturday didn't go as planned.

This violence was a 1.33 60' with the rear tires. I think I would be quite please if I could leave that hard and keep the front down without wheelie bars. The crash bars helped save a lot of parts. I did end up cracking the oil pan, but just received a text that it is welded and being tested for leaks. Hopefully will be back out this weekend.

I will be looking into a set of Menscer's in the off season. Their valving should be able to help control the front on launch.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the great info. I'm not sure if you are set on the Menscher shocks but I talked to a bunch of racers at the recent Duck race two weeks ago and many said they are overpriced and the Santhuff's are awesome, do the same thing and WAY less money. Just for info sake. Not sure what you may have heard on them.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought santhuffs because my buddy doing my chasis work has some good results with them he won x 275 @ duck actually, so he recommend them but they are not cheap at all but weep worth the $$$
Old 10-26-2016, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LanceL
Thanks for the great info. I'm not sure if you are set on the Menscher shocks but I talked to a bunch of racers at the recent Duck race two weeks ago and many said they are overpriced and the Santhuff's are awesome, do the same thing and WAY less money. Just for info sake. Not sure what you may have heard on them.
Originally Posted by 1500HP
I just bought santhuffs because my buddy doing my chasis work has some good results with them he won x 275 @ duck actually, so he recommend them but they are not cheap at all but weep worth the $$$
I haven't ruled out the Santhuff's yet either. However, I don't think they are cheaper than the Menscer's. From the quick research I did, these are the following prices:

Santhuffs: $1480.00/pair
Menscers: $1099/pair plus $80 for upper heim mounts if needed.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Front and rear were 3500.00 for a 93 fox body
The front were the most 1780.00 yes that's what I said
They are not cheap at all and I mean cheap as in cost

Quick Reply: Change from 4L80 to Glide, 8.30@165 first outing