Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Ls1 Iroc Swapping to Turbo - billet 78/75 and A/W

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Ls1 Iroc Swapping to Turbo - billet 78/75 and A/W

Figured I would start a build thread for my car, hit the car together in August, been an absolute blast. Car turned out much quicker than I thought it would, but over the last couple months I got more aggressive with the trans and gearing, and now it's not as much fun to drive on the street. So I'm looking to go a little faster while improving street ability.

Car now weighs 3100# without me, full interior.
Ported ls6 heads, milled, studded.
Huge Ed Curtis custom grind 24x/25x .650/.650 on a 110
Th350 4000/4500 stall
150 shot
8.8 3.73 track lock w/carbon clutches
Aeromotive 340lph
E85

Yesterday I Ordered the billet VS racing 78/75 turbo, was a tough choice for me because I looked at the 77/83 pretty hard. But the billet 78/75 is supposed to spool faster, and my goal is 650whp so that will give me grow room. Kinda doing this cheap, I know, taboo.
Twin 38mm emusa gates
Cx racing a/w intercooler w/ pump and heat exchanger
50mm emusa BOV
Misc eBay 3" pipe kit
Random 2.25 exhaust elbows and v bands
80mm Siemens injectors
Boost referenced fuel pressure reg
Misc fittings to get my existing fuel system changed for boost (6an feed/8an return)
Considering a Bosch 044 inline as a booster pump if needed.

Now, I believe since I'm not running a fmic, I'll move the radiator forward about 4" to make room, and mount the turbo about water pump level, exhaust towards pass fender.

I'll be changing cams obviously, I have an ls9, ls2, and stock ls1 cams on the shelf. Thinking of running the ls9, any input here? I'll be doing an fti custom grind turbo cam as soon as funds allow.

Most likely be swapping to a 3.23 gear as well.

Anyone have any pictures of similar setups i would love to see them!
Old 10-21-2016, 03:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im starting the same build in a since I got a 88 rs back half car im doin a lc9 5.3 with a precision 7675 with 243 heads cam on race fuel I hoping to see close to 850 so good luck on your build
Old 10-21-2016, 03:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're going to find out that those 80# injectors are not enough for e85.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls3fbody
Im starting the same build in a since I got a 88 rs back half car im doin a lc9 5.3 with a precision 7675 with 243 heads cam on race fuel I hoping to see close to 850 so good luck on your build
Thank you! Good luck on yours as well, I can't wait.

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
You're going to find out that those 80# injectors are not enough for e85.
I did tons of research on them before I bought them, and seen plenty of people at my goal and far above with these, pending base pressure. Steigemier said they could flow and port them for around $200 so is have a cheap set of good injectors over 100#, if need be.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:34 PM
7 Second Club

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

add a second pump and i dont know if its a typo or not but you want a 8an feed 6an return not the other way around also it doesnt say what size motor is in it so if its a 5.3 the ls9 cam is gonna be a bit lazy but if its a 6.0 you should be ok
Old 10-21-2016, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls3fox
add a second pump and i dont know if its a typo or not but you want a 8an feed 6an return not the other way around also it doesnt say what size motor is in it so if its a 5.3 the ls9 cam is gonna be a bit lazy but if its a 6.0 you should be ok
Most ofvthevte I see people with bigger return lines, so the regulator can do its job without interference from flow restriction. I agree, that in theory if it can pump it thrue the 6an and then burn some off it should have no issue returning what's left, but it's the same price pretty much, might as well do it now so I don't have to do it again.

The title is correct, it is an ls1 5.7, and thank you for your import. ED recommended I go with the ls2 cam for now so I think that's the route I will take
Old 10-21-2016, 07:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwarta
I did tons of research on them before I bought them, and seen plenty of people at my goal and far above with these, pending base pressure. Steigemier said they could flow and port them for around $200 so is have a cheap set of good injectors over 100#, if need be.
I'm just telling you this out of experience. i did the same thing with my car. Had 80# injectors, then the next thing you know, I am doing all of this crazy stuff to my car just to continue using them. Messing with base pressure, then add another pump. Was a huge waste of time. If I could do it all over again, I would have just gone with a better injector.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
I'm just telling you this out of experience. i did the same thing with my car. Had 80# injectors, then the next thing you know, I am doing all of this crazy stuff to my car just to continue using them. Messing with base pressure, then add another pump. Was a huge waste of time. If I could do it all over again, I would have just gone with a better injector.
It sucks the next step up in injector is such a huge price difference.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Not going to be enough pump on E85. I just read that the 340 isnt rated for more than 700hp EFI forced induction on gas, E85 will be considerably lower. I run the same 340 pump but run 93 pump. You'd prob have to run a AEM 380 minimum or a 450.

Almost went the the same way as you but decided on a supercharger on my 87 TA. The camaro is setup perfectly for a A2A with the front grill opening. Not sure why you want to go A2W.

Rest of the build seems decent. However our 3rd gens have tons of underhood heating issues which was my main deterant against a turbo. All that exhaust plumbing is gona heat everything up.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by customblackbird
Not going to be enough pump on E85. I just read that the 340 isnt rated for more than 700hp EFI forced induction on gas, E85 will be considerably lower. I run the same 340 pump but run 93 pump. You'd prob have to run a AEM 380 minimum or a 450.

Almost went the the same way as you but decided on a supercharger on my 87 TA. The camaro is setup perfectly for a A2A with the front grill opening. Not sure why you want to go A2W.

Rest of the build seems decent. However our 3rd gens have tons of underhood heating issues which was my main deterant against a turbo. All that exhaust plumbing is gona heat everything up.
Most likely I'll be using the 340 as a budget pump into a big inline, I'm sure it's not enough, maybe add a surge tank. However, it's feeding a h/c Bolton ls1 on 150 shot on e85 right now so it's not too shabby. These cars do have over heating issues, and that's exactly why I went a/w. Putting a big g intercooler in front of the radiator isn't going to help. Plus that tiny grill opening isn't going to move much air. 5 gallon reservoir in the back wheel well openings will be plenty of capacity to keep things cool on the iat side. Right now the car stays perfectly cool, the only time my electric fan even comes on is in traffic and it shuts off after about 30 seconds (minimum run time in pcm).
Old 10-23-2016, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Most likely I'll be using the 340 as a budget pump into a big inline, I'm sure it's not enough, maybe add a surge tank. However, it's feeding a h/c Bolton ls1 on 150 shot on e85 right now so it's not too shabby. These cars do have over heating issues, and that's exactly why I went a/w. Putting a big g intercooler in front of the radiator isn't going to help. Plus that tiny grill opening isn't going to move much air. 5 gallon reservoir in the back wheel well openings will be plenty of capacity to keep things cool on the iat side. Right now the car stays perfectly cool, the only time my electric fan even comes on is in traffic and it shuts off after about 30 seconds (minimum run time in pcm).
Bolt on LS with 150shot is not the same thing. Gotta remember is all about pressure vs flowvs volumn. Your running what fuel pressure? 58 or lower. Now at 15psi of boost with a boost referenced regulator your going to be running 73psi fuel pressure. Your flow rates at 58psi vs 73psi are going to be considerately lower. E85 vs pump gas is a immediately 20% increase flow for same power. I'd say your close to the max of that pump on E85. Say your making 450crank hp and 150 shot your at 600hp crank, that's close to mine at 12psi on a stock 5.3 but I'm running 70psi fuel pressure at full boost. Your almost done with that pump. Surge tank isn't needed or idea really. Your just complicating things. Run a sumped stock tank, large inline wifi pump and call it a day.

Not going to tey try to sell you something but I ran this setup
for 500 miles on a 521 with NOS and worked beautiful. I'm currently trying to sell it as i have now gone back to an intank setup and more OEM for street driving. I have a stock 87 EFI tank that I sumped and welded in a -10 AN return nipple. I ran the stock tank into a Holley dominator twin EFI billet pump. One pump on all the time and very quiet, second internal pump is activated by Hobbs switch. This keeps the fuel heating to a minimal. The Holley pumps are quieter than a stock intake setup as well. I made a bracket that bolts to the stock 3rd gen frame rail. All you gotta do is run the lines and supply power. Setup as 500miles PM me if your interested. Pump is rated to 1400hp.

A2W is usually better for track only due to fluid temps below ambient with ice etc. while it's more compact you actually have more weight and parts with reservoirs, "lines, 0pump, fluid weight, -and more that can go wrong. You really think the camaro is going to have issues with the openings? I run a very large 31x12x3.5" FMIC in front of my rad which also has a second rad for my tranny cooler. And I have no issues with cooling. And the TA bumpers have no openings and suffer worse than the camaros for cooling and airflow. But I don't have to lug a 5 gallon reservoir, or have to worry about a pump failure etc. also the heat exchangers aren't very thin if you ever look at the specs. They are going to block airflow almost as much as a A2A.

Not saying your doing anything wrong but I can see a more reliable, cheaper option to get you where you want to be. But speaking from real world experience in my more restrictive TA in NJ 100*F summers I will have engine temps in the 160-180 range when beating on it in my logs. Cruising the temps drop to 165 or so. The other day it was cooler like 70-80 and it hit the 160 tstat opening while cruising. Turbos are going to make it run hotter just due to them being larger Heaters in the engine bay.

Just my .02
Old 10-23-2016, 09:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

It's cheaper to go ahead and spend the money on the injector that you need now, instead of buying the cheaper injector....only to find out that you won't be growing. You get those 80# injectors and use e85, you are instantly maxed out.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

450 crank is pretty pathetic out of my setup, I'd burn this turd to the ground. Realistically if it's not around 550-575 crank off spray I'd be shocked. I've been racing and beating so many boosted cars in the last couple weeks, both dig and roll, that it's not even funny lol. And in running a 150rwhp shot, not a 150 crank hp shot

I appreciate your input, but after reading and talking with many guys who run a/w and are logging 15-20-* above ambient temps on a street pass with no ice running the same setup I ordered, it seems like a no brainer to me. Yes I'm adding some weight, but the majority of it will be behind the back tires, and I street race 99% of the time, so that doesn't hurt my feelings either. Car is already super light with almost zero weight recuction

Last edited by Cwarta; 10-23-2016 at 10:06 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Game ova
It's cheaper to go ahead and spend the money on the injector that you need now, instead of buying the cheaper injector....only to find out that you won't be growing. You get those 80# injectors and use e85, you are instantly maxed out.
I slready own them, friend made 750/850 whp/tq with these exact injectors on e85 in a full size Chevy pickup with the same turbo I have. They will get me to my goal of 650. Then when I want more I'll have them ported. Spending 4x what I paid for the car on injectors is not happening.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 10-23-2016, 10:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I slready own them, friend made 750/850 whp/tq with these exact injectors on e85 in a full size Chevy pickup with the same turbo I have. They will get me to my goal of 650. Then when I want more I'll have them ported. Spending 4x what I paid for the car on injectors is not happening.
So I'm guessing you paid about $200 for the car? I only ask because you can get 1000cc injectors for $850ish
Old 10-23-2016, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Game ova
So I'm guessing you paid about $200 for the car? I only ask because you can get 1000cc injectors for $850ish
Close, $350.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

80lbers should have no problem supporting what you want. While I agree with the A2A comments, I am also very intrigued to see how the A2W works on the street. Something I would consider for my Buick maybe down the road. I run the Aeromotive 340 personally and it would have no issue on gas making this power, but E won't happen. Little more pump is going to be required. DP255s, 340s, Big A1000.. etc etc. Car is going to be scary fast though.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZNix
80lbers should have no problem supporting what you want. While I agree with the A2A comments, I am also very intrigued to see how the A2W works on the street. Something I would consider for my Buick maybe down the road. I run the Aeromotive 340 personally and it would have no issue on gas making this power, but E won't happen. Little more pump is going to be required. DP255s, 340s, Big A1000.. etc etc. Car is going to be scary fast though.
Thanks man! I'm not worried about the 80's getting me there, pump I'm sure will need attention. The a/w I'm excited about, I see a lot of people rag on it, but I've talked to and read tons of posts on it, before I bought it, and these guys are keeping temps within 20* of ambient with no ice, and after driving all day and making a pull. From my reading it seems like the guys who say they didn't like it on the street, didn't have a heat exchanger.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well parts started arriving today

Quick Reply: Ls1 Iroc Swapping to Turbo - billet 78/75 and A/W