Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Water cooling turbos

Old 10-22-2016, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water cooling turbos

What are the options to plumb a pair of turbos for water cooling?
Old 10-22-2016, 10:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 430 Likes on 306 Posts

The basic options are to do it or not. For more specific answers, ask a more detailed question.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

stock engines that I have seen use a water cooled turbo plumb it right into the engine coolant system.

but this is on ball bearing turbos that OEMs need to make reach 100,000 miles before service.

I personally don't think its needed in a street and strip performance build. Maybe in a salt flats racer?
Old 10-23-2016, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Yes, water cooling is not the norm for performance builds. But some turbos it is "highly recommended" (gerrett GTX, BW EFR) and required for warranty claims. I do have 2 EFR 7670's, and dont want to take a chance on damaging almost $5k worth of turbo's. So, for arguments sake, i am curious about, the option there are for supply and return.

Is there enoug flow through the steam ports to be used for supply, and return, on the way back to the rad.?

Can the temp. Sensor ports on the heads, be used for supply or return?

I know the obvious answer is to use the heater ports on the wate pump! Especially since i have no heater core. But just looking for other,cleaner looking options, especially for the driver side turbo.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

well i think you wanna take from the high pressure side and return into the low pressure side. so the heater core ports would work great for that.

have you even messed with newer turbo'd subarus? they have an interesting system that lets the water flow through the turbo after the engine shuts off.
it's basically an expansion tank that sits above the turbo. heat convection draws cool water up into the turbo cooling it.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gametech
The basic options are to do it or not. For more specific answers, ask a more detailed question.
But for a douche bag response. You asked the correct question.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by truckdoug
well i think you wanna take from the high pressure side and return into the low pressure side. so the heater core ports would work great for that.

have you even messed with newer turbo'd subarus? they have an interesting system that lets the water flow through the turbo after the engine shuts off.
it's basically an expansion tank that sits above the turbo. heat convection draws cool water up into the turbo cooling it.

That's most likely what I will end up doing, just may be a bit of a PITA to run the lines to the driver side turbo. Just wondering if anyone had more experience or other options.

I have messed with water cooled turbo's on older WRX's & STI's, and the brand new Civic's. Judging by the coolant lines, and location, used by them, it doesn't appear you need much flow to be effective?
Old 10-23-2016, 08:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by S1LV3R
But for a douche bag response. You asked the correct question.
No big deal.... Internet is full of this!!! I have been the MOD on other forums, some people just don't know any better. Care more about post count, then helping.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Drag68Bird
No big deal.... Internet is full of this!!! I have been the MOD on other forums, some people just don't know any better. Care more about post count, then helping.
If you notice, he did help. He asked for clarification. BTW, do you mean "then helping" or "than helping." They mean two different things.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Sorry, my mistake. Just came here to ask some questions, get some advice. Thought it was self explanatory, that if I am asking for options on how to water cool a turbo, the decision on "IF" had already be made? Saddens me to see forums have not changed in 15 years, 99% ****, 1% useful information. Thank you to the 1% who contribute, I know it's exhausting!
Old 10-23-2016, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

no i dont think it needs a whole lot of flow, but it does need a high pressure side and a low pressure side, so when the engine shuts off and the heatsoaked turbo begins to boil the coolant the steam(pressure) has a place to go
Old 10-24-2016, 04:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gametech
I thought it was hilarious.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 430 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Drag68Bird
Sorry, my mistake. Just came here to ask some questions, get some advice. Thought it was self explanatory, that if I am asking for options on how to water cool a turbo, the decision on "IF" had already be made? Saddens me to see forums have not changed in 15 years, 99% ****, 1% useful information. Thank you to the 1% who contribute, I know it's exhausting!
You might be amazed how many people here ask completely open-ended questions with no details to describe what they really might need for answers. I generally humor myself by phrasing "give us more details of what you need" in a dickish manner.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Water cooling turbos