Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

BMW e30 LM7 Singleturbo

Old 10-24-2016, 11:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW e30 LM7 Singleturbo

Hi
let me introduce myself first:
My name is Özkan, i live in Germany and i am boost addicted.
i am dealing with my e30 turbo since 6 years now and now (same engine type). Now i think it is time for a change. This is my build thread on the german megasquirt forum:
http://megasquirt.de/msforum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3771

My current setup is the big six 3,4liter 12v m30 engine with stock 745i pistons with an holset hx55 at 700 HP and about 750ftlb at the crank with e46 m3 6 Speed tranny. Whatever i am going to do, such "small" engines will allways be under high stress at those power levels and won't last long. so i think a bigger engine would be a trivial solution .

Thats how these ls motor came into my mind and a finally totally agree the "LS SWAP EVERYTHING"-Mentality .
At the moment i try to figure out which way to go and how to get me an engine. I read everywhere how cheap those ls truck engines are at the junkyards but unfortenuately there are none of these engines here on german junkyards. US Ebay prices are about 1100 dollar, add container shipping and customs and the total price is about the same what german deales sell these engines for (2000€). Anyway that will not be a problem.

It looks like here in germany they only sell the pre 2005 version of the LM7, which have weaker rods if i read it correctly. So my plan would be to either buy this pre 2005 LM7, buy used post 2005 Rods, get them in and get everything work properly while i buy a new block and forged rotating assembly from summit and have it as spare short block. Or skip the new block and buy oversize forged pistons, crank and rods and build the old LM7. this shouldn't be too much of a trouble. My main concern is the drivetrain. I would love to stay with a manual trans, but a reliable one is 5000dollar (t56 Magnum, transzilla, TR6060). So maybe i will stick with the TH400 transmission, which can be bought here in germany. I could get it beefed up here locally.

I ve been reading a lot about LS turbo builds and i am very new to these types of engines. This car is a street car and is driven in the highway most of the time. If i go the TH400 route, i would like to be able to select the gear manually, because most of the time i start brake boosting at about 60mph and that would be the 2. gear on a TH400 with a 2,9 diff. And i would like to be able to lock the trans in the third gear on a dyno. So a manual valve body would be what i need. But i keep reading that manual valve bodies wont let me downshift into second gear while i am on the highway, is this true? Or does this only apply on manual valve bodies without engine break?

My plan current plan lools like this:
-LM7 foged rotating assembly
-80mm turbo or slightly larger
-th400 (manual valve body?)
-huge tires
-ms3pro

My main reason for posting this is, i need your knowledge regarding LS turbo stuff:
-Is it really necessary to go the th400 route or buy a t56 transmission (i assume anything but magnum will break) and triple disc tilton or maybe mcleod rst twin disc clutch. And what about the engine

-Can i just put only forged rods onto a otherwise stock bottom end LM7 (arp head studs and cooperring head gaskets) and upgraded valve springs / Camshaft) and get a decent amount of power while i build a forged short block?

-what else would you recommend to upgrade like oilpump, water pump ..?
--> would i have to replace the oil restrictor in the block?

-I would like to avoid the slippage from the converter. Is there a way to get a lock up converter with the TH400?

My final goal is above 1000hp at the crank

Sorry for the long post, this is a so interesting project and i have tons of questions

regards
Özksn

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BMW e30 LM7 Singleturbo