Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

holley HP or factory ecu

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Denman I've done very little tuning but have a buddy who has and he likes the fast,and hasn't tried the holley any.Ive got a stand alone harness but looks like if I buy the stuff for a boost controler and 2 step and maybe some meth spray it would be better to get a name brand that has those in it already.also what size turbo do most recommend for a 6.0
Old 11-12-2016, 03:12 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
Could not have said it better myself. I agree 100%.
Exactly.

You could have the best system in the world....but if you havent a clue how to use it and nobody near you can assist etc, it could just be a giant turd.

You need to know what you want any ecu to do for your setup, and you as a driver. And then find what system fits those needs...AND you can get good support for, or have a tuner local who is competent with it to set it up for you etc.
Old 11-12-2016, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

Ok thanks for all the help I most likely go with fast or hp tuners cause that's the only ones I have realy messed with.I just kinda like the holley set ups I've seen on here and other sites
Old 11-13-2016, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Not sure if HP tuners has fail safes or not but I feel for a forced induction car this is paramount. I think all the aftermarket ECU's have this feature more or less.
Old 11-13-2016, 01:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 window
Don't worry about spending the $100 on the I/O harness. Do a google search for the connector/terminals and build it for about $15. I have the Holley on two vehicles and love it.
It's easy to say this, but many people don't want to navigate the vast array of part numbers that is required to put together a connector yourself. There is also the matter of buying a good crimping tool so you have reliable connections.

All Holley connector and terminal information is here:

http://forums.holley.com/showthread....als-Holley-EFI

Andrew
Old 11-13-2016, 01:23 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 69-chvl
Not sure if HP tuners has fail safes or not but I feel for a forced induction car this is paramount. I think all the aftermarket ECU's have this feature more or less.
They all do not, and some only have a few basic safeties at best.

Anything using the OEM ecu would pretty much have none.
Old 11-13-2016, 01:27 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
It's easy to say this, but many people don't want to navigate the vast array of part numbers that is required to put together a connector yourself. There is also the matter of buying a good crimping tool so you have reliable connections.

All Holley connector and terminal information is here:

http://forums.holley.com/showthread....als-Holley-EFI

Andrew
The "correct" crimp tool for the superseal connectors is a F'ing fortune. Although the likes of the T18 crimp tool mentioned in the link is a cheap alternative

The prices some places ask for the special crimp tool almost defies belief.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Holley HP ECU

I am using the Holley Hp Ecu for my twin turbo project and I have found so far is that if you want it to control boost you will need to boost solenoids 557-200 and a pressure sensor 554-102 $300 approx and to control meth you will need the pump 557-100, a solenoid 557-106, the injector driver 554-115, and the install kit, approx $600 also make sure you get the NTK 02 sensor. Now remember the output harness 558-400 has 8 I/O's it will take 6 of them to control boost and Meth. You will only have two inputs available, and if your going to monitor fuel pressure you will only have 1 I/O left. Which is where i'm at now. Fortunately F.A.S.T are already monitored by the ECU. The good thing is that if you need to upgrade in the future you can simply plug in the Dominator ECU to your existing harnesses, add another I/O harness and your set. I got this system because I'm not a tuner and when I make changes I don't have to pay big bucks to get it tuned each time. Hope this helps.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

Need4speed069 Thanks yeah that helps alot.Im going to go with the holley hp for now then if I need more I can upgrade pretty easy
Old 11-23-2016, 09:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

To clarify, the fuel pressure plug is part of the main harness, so it doesn't use up one of the 8 I/O off the auxiliary harness. You do need to add your own sensor for fuel pressure.

Andrew
Old 11-23-2016, 01:57 PM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by need4speed069
I am using the Holley Hp Ecu for my twin turbo project and I have found so far is that if you want it to control boost you will need to boost solenoids 557-200 and a pressure sensor 554-102 $300 approx and to control meth you will need the pump 557-100, a solenoid 557-106, the injector driver 554-115, and the install kit, approx $600 also make sure you get the NTK 02 sensor. Now remember the output harness 558-400 has 8 I/O's it will take 6 of them to control boost and Meth. You will only have two inputs available, and if your going to monitor fuel pressure you will only have 1 I/O left. Which is where i'm at now. Fortunately F.A.S.T are already monitored by the ECU. The good thing is that if you need to upgrade in the future you can simply plug in the Dominator ECU to your existing harnesses, add another I/O harness and your set. I got this system because I'm not a tuner and when I make changes I don't have to pay big bucks to get it tuned each time. Hope this helps.
You only need one solenoid to control boost with Holley. Unless your trying to do a CO2 setup and run a weak wastegate spring. With a normal 1 bar spring I've had no issue turning it up to 27PSI.

You also don't need the NTK sensor, my Bosch O2 sensor is going on a year and a half of getting beat up and its still going.

Fuel pressure is included on the main harness, no need for its own input.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:30 PM
Staging Lane

ProjectGatTagO I stand corrected on the fuel pressure using the I/O,
The other sensor needed is for the dome pressure part of the boost control.

SLOWSEDAN I was referring to this setup http://documents.holley.com/199r10629rev.pdf

which also shows the need for another sensor which is for the dome pressure part of the boost control.

If you read the desc for the 550-602N it states
Holley recommends the NTK for boosted applications "The NTK Oxygen Sensor is recommended when using leaded or methanol fuels, high exhaust and forced induction applications or for highest precision feedback".

As far as the dual wastegate solenoids, I will be calling Holley tech support and asking them why they suggest this setup.

I am not as experienced as a lot of you and don't want to misinform anybody and appreciate all your feedback Thank You, Al
Old 11-23-2016, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't want to hijack here, but I've considered the Holley myself. Having a 4L60E, I believe I'd need to use the dominator in order to be able to control the trans as well like the factory ECM does, correct? Also, how these aftermarket ECM's interface with the other electronics in the car. For example the fuel gauge, which is controlled by the ecm in the F-bodies, will they work correctly? If your looking to buy, there are some nice deals on the Holley site right now for Black Friday sales.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

ScottyBG, You can use the holley Hp ECU and a standalone trans controller like the TCI 302820 it works on 2009 and earlier 2009-Down GM 4L60E, 4L65E, 4L80E, 4L85E Transmissions, as far as the fuel gauge I thought the BCM controlled the gauges , radio, windows and such, but I might be wrong you will need to do some homework on that. And yes the prices are really low right now on Holley parts as well as the Lunati line. I am seriously thinking about this 4.000 stroker kit from Lunati Voodoo Crankshaft and Connecting Rod Kits 70340001K1 for $1083.57.
Old 11-24-2016, 05:29 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ScottyBG
Don't want to hijack here, but I've considered the Holley myself. Having a 4L60E, I believe I'd need to use the dominator in order to be able to control the trans as well like the factory ECM does, correct? Also, how these aftermarket ECM's interface with the other electronics in the car. For example the fuel gauge, which is controlled by the ecm in the F-bodies, will they work correctly? If your looking to buy, there are some nice deals on the Holley site right now for Black Friday sales.
They do not interface with the OEM gauges etc. If you wish to retain all of these, then the factory ecu/bcm or whatever controls them must remain in place and active.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:33 AM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by need4speed069
ProjectGatTagO I stand corrected on the fuel pressure using the I/O,
The other sensor needed is for the dome pressure part of the boost control.

SLOWSEDAN I was referring to this setup http://documents.holley.com/199r10629rev.pdf

which also shows the need for another sensor which is for the dome pressure part of the boost control.

If you read the desc for the 550-602N it states
Holley recommends the NTK for boosted applications "The NTK Oxygen Sensor is recommended when using leaded or methanol fuels, high exhaust and forced induction applications or for highest precision feedback".

As far as the dual wastegate solenoids, I will be calling Holley tech support and asking them why they suggest this setup.

I am not as experienced as a lot of you and don't want to misinform anybody and appreciate all your feedback Thank You, Al
Look though the whole instruction set and you will see where they show you how to set boost control via solenoid duty cycle. That is where you run a single solenoid and it only takes one output. Have multiple cars running this way without issue but if your looking to run two solenoids with a CO2 setup then your probably a little more serious then what we putt around with on street cars anyways.

Yes I know the NTK is recommended but I've beat on the Bosch pretty good and its fine if you want to save the money. I had a standalone NTK sensor to compare against and they are both accurate.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:08 PM
Staging Lane

Slow Sedan, Thanks for the FYI When I purchased my 550-602 I got the BOSCH O2 Sensor because it was on sale, and not having to buy the extra pressure sensor and solenoid means more money to spend on other things. Greattttttttt.

Quick Reply: holley HP or factory ecu