Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

240Z LS3, 8 second turbo build.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 12:18 PM
8 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine had the D3 transbrake as well. I sold mine before it was ever run. It sold very quickly though. I think it was around 1 week on here.

The glide is much shorter than the 4L80E. Sadly your carbon fiber driveshaft is not going to work especially since you already have your engine set back in the chassis so that will most likely be an expense you might not recoup since it looks very short from the pictures.
Old 11-25-2016, 05:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing special, but picked me up a Glide today from the local yard. Will use it for mock up and will price filling it with good parts and casing it later, or see if the budget allows a new unit from someone

Plus, picked up a race cover for my billet s480 today

Also paid for another set of 1000cc injectors. I'll have 2000cc now total fuel running E60

Anyone looking for a stage 3 80e with triple disc converter?

Last edited by Nathaninwa; 11-25-2016 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:37 PM
8 Second Club

Good choice. List it up on the classifieds here. It will sell with no problem. If not before Christmas than when tax season gets here!
Old 11-26-2016, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathaninwa
....Car is a little wiggly out the top, and want to try some pro bracket raidals next year to cure that
Radials on the front with bias-ply slicks is a scary/deadly mix.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2JZFC
Radials on the front with bias-ply slicks is a scary/deadly mix.
Got that covered. I started off with etstreets out back and an m+h skinny radial up front. I now have Hoosiers and D2's on the car, so I'll move back to all radial when it time
Old 11-27-2016, 01:24 PM
TECH Regular

Tearing into this glide, I'm happy with what I see. In may give this a shot rebuilding it myself as my 80e has been working flawless and have another 80e going together for tow rig
Looks like the expensive part is the 1.80 gear setup. I know my combo needs an aftermarket case to run its fullest potential, but I may just do the stock case at first and pull timing on the hit to keep the tq low and roll boost on based on rpm, same with the gear shift
Still looking at all my options though
Old 11-29-2016, 12:02 PM
TECH Regular

Found another Glide locally for 50.00. Going to pick it up and store in the garage and got a good deal on a TSL 1.80 gear setup
Old 12-03-2016, 08:56 PM
8 Second Club

Your car is very light, even a stock case trans should survive quite awhile. You will just need to run a shield and if you have the extra add a blow proof bell. With all that extra room you made to fit the 4L80 you shouldn't even have to clearance for the shield! Lol.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:24 AM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Blowproof bell housing is a requirement.
As is a blanket or trans shield.
I use an Ultrabell in conjunction with a blanket on my T400.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:41 PM
TECH Regular

I have two cases, and we're talking just a bell that uses the pulp bolts

I have my tranny slated for a friends car now, 2000 minus the brake and some hard parts, so I'll sell those here which makes life easier since no big shipping items

Io have close to 2700 to buy glide parts and a converter. Converter will be in the 800 to 1000 range, so I'm working with say 2000 in parts now. I have a 1.80 year setup and a billet roller support. I'll price in an ati case, and hard parts. My shopping cart at summit is filled, just need to sort through it

Looking at a sonnex servo, fti rebulild kit where I'll sneak in 7 frictions, I'll do a turbo input shaft and do the pump mods with the steel drum

I've already talked to my driveshaft guy, the roller tail housing slip yoke is spendy, so going to try to find a bushing tailhousing

My 80e currently has a flex sheild and a blanket, so if I need to that stuff can transfer over

On a side note, I started a billet block that is -10 inlet with four -6 outlets to feed the rails
Old 12-05-2016, 08:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I can't wait to see this thing run with a glide, and PM sent on 4L80.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:37 PM
TECH Regular

4303 and regulator are here. Was able to get the 80e out today without messing with the engine Since it's motor plated front and rear I was concerned about the clearance I left during tunnel demo. The 80e just snuck out and have the empty stock Glide case installed. Should be good for driveshafts measurement and tranny mount install (note, i run a rubber flexible mount on the tranny with the engine plates

Very happy with the look of the glide on there and will be able to fab up a pretty deep oil pan and still be above the subframe connectors
Old 12-18-2016, 02:31 PM
8 Second Club

I have two cases, and we're talking just a bell that uses the pulp bolts

I have my tranny slated for a friends car now, 2000 minus the brake and some hard parts, so I'll sell those here which makes life easier since no big shipping items

Io have close to 2700 to buy glide parts and a converter. Converter will be in the 800 to 1000 range, so I'm working with say 2000 in parts now. I have a 1.80 year setup and a billet roller support. I'll price in an ati case, and hard parts. My shopping cart at summit is filled, just need to sort through it

Looking at a sonnex servo, fti rebulild kit where I'll sneak in 7 frictions, I'll do a turbo input shaft and do the pump mods with the steel drum

I've already talked to my driveshaft guy, the roller tail housing slip yoke is spendy, so going to try to find a bushing tailhousing

My 80e currently has a flex sheild and a blanket, so if I need to that stuff can transfer over

On a side note, I started a billet block that is -10 inlet with four -6 outlets to feed the rails
That is awesome Nate. I think you will love the glide for that car! Yes, just an SFI bell like a JW works great. If you go with the ATI or Reid case I think some of them come with the bell attached or don't interchange with the JW so make the decision before you buy the bell.

You posted above you were looking for a bushing style tail housing? Those stock glides should have come with them. A lot of companies just use stock tail housings on their builds unless you pay extra for the roller upgrade. They just use a TH350 style yoke.
Old 12-18-2016, 02:40 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Loved the glide in my 280. Reid case was ****. I ditched the deep pan as it hung below the "rails" the factory pan with a cooler did a great job. It never saw over 190* even in traffic.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:23 PM
TECH Regular

I love making things so I'll give my try at the oil pan. I can be 2.75 inches deep and be about 1/4 above the rails. There a lots of room around the tranny after clearancing for the 80e! It is a little tight for the shift linkage, but nothing bad

Do I need to worry about the strength of the stock tail housing? Any external welding that can be done to beer it up a bit. That would save over 200 bucks in tail and slip yoke costs

I'm set on the ati case and bell, I even see summit is reselling a bell and case too.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:27 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love making things so I'll give my try at the oil pan. I can be 2.75 inches deep and be about 1/4 above the rails. There a lots of room around the tranny after clearancing for the 80e! It is a little tight for the shift linkage, but nothing bad

Do I need to worry about the strength of the stock tail housing? Any external welding that can be done to beer it up a bit. That would save over 200 bucks in tail and slip yoke costs

I'm set on the ati case and bell, I even see summit is reselling a bell and case too.
Wish I could Help on the tail but I'm not sure. I had a shorty glide and GV OD for the tail.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:31 PM
TECH Regular

Been tinkering on the car. Moved the radiator forward about 6 inches which made way for the better fan shroud this year. Cold side is all redone with the new race cover

Next up is tranny cooler mounting
Attached Thumbnails 240Z LS3, 8 second turbo build.-img_0843.jpg   240Z LS3, 8 second turbo build.-img_0844.jpg   240Z LS3, 8 second turbo build.-img_0845.jpg   240Z LS3, 8 second turbo build.-img_0847.jpg  
Old 02-05-2017, 01:54 AM
TECH Regular

Was doing some googling and rumor had it that gm hubs use the same bearings as my S30 chassis and literally bolt onto the car. That led me to Wilwood's web site and after some dimension i found that a G body car runs the offset I needed

Ordered one up from summit, and literally it just about fell into place. The gm bearings are closer together than my 240's so the outer bearing would bind on the spindle taper before seating all the way on the races. Was able to shim with .030 worth of pinion shim and that was enough for bearing preload and align my rotor/caliper setup

I'm excited about the alum front hub, there 3 to 4lbs lighter than my cast units each and the rolling weight is notably lighter. So less unsprung weight, has to be a good thing which will allow me to put weight on the nose if I need
Attached Thumbnails 240Z LS3, 8 second turbo build.-img_0936.jpg   240Z LS3, 8 second turbo build.-img_0938.jpg  
Old 02-07-2017, 06:08 PM
8 Second Club

Very nice. How is the glide conversion coming?
Old 02-08-2017, 08:56 AM
TECH Regular

Converter and input shaft are in the mail. Rest of the parts will get ordered next week. Stock case is installed and the tranny crossmember is modified and bolted back in

I decided to go with the bearing ATI case

All in all it's coming right along

About midway through the wire cleanup right now

Quick Reply: 240Z LS3, 8 second turbo build.