Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Manual Trans IRS Sedan, 5.3 Turbo: 9.25 @ 154mph!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gtistile

Drives great. As with most any performance Twin, it'll occasionally give you a little chatter if you get the take off just wrong.
Thnx, I've only driven a a twin puck in a 4-banger & the lack of natural off idle torque made it "interesting" to say the least. On off switches aren't the best there for street driving.

What do you mean by "Just right"?
Old 12-07-2016, 10:37 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
Put one in a heavy (3,700+) car, and see if that same car is faster with a 3 speed.

Thanks for perfectly illustrating my point lol. Did I say it was faster? No. Also you don't have a glide in your Fbody nor have you driven a glide F-body per other posts you've made in this section. So please atop acting like you have any idea what the differences are. These EXACT comments are what I'm talking about.

Before you get defensive like you do anytime someone calls you out. Just go back and re read what I said first.

Last edited by oscs; 12-07-2016 at 10:53 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:39 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by gtfoxy
Thnx, I've only driven a a twin puck in a 4-banger & the lack of natural off idle torque made it "interesting" to say the least. On off switches aren't the best there for street driving.

The clutch drives like a stock unit. I have no idea what "just right" means either. It's one of the nicest clutches I've ever had the pleasure of using.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to know. A little chatter is just fine, it's having it die intermittently that pisses me off.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:46 PM
8 Second Club

Good to know. A little chatter is just fine, it's having it die intermittently that pisses me off.
I'll never forget the first time we took the car out for a ride (buddy was a SRT-4 guy) we
Couldn't believe how smooth it was. He kept saying wait until it breaks in, it's going to be a PIA to drive. It never was. I couldn't believe a clutch designed to hold 1000whp could feel like factory clutch. Those 4cyl clutches are so much more harsh and hard to drive.

Last edited by oscs; 12-07-2016 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:57 PM
8 Second Club

Not gonna lie either, it *IS* STUPID amounts of fun!!!These passes were made at a private rental. I wasn't expecting this combo to be this fast when I built it truthfully. I won't be making any passes until the cage and proper safety equipment goes inThanks man!It shouldn't be slipping in a car that light unless the slave is pre-loading the clutch fingers, reducing its capacity. This is very common.Drives great. As with most any performance Twin, it'll occasionally give you a little chatter if you get the take off just wrong.
The clutch was professionally setup and gone through multiple times through the cars upgrade process. This isn't our first rodeo. Its simply not up to the task at the tq levels

Last edited by oscs; 12-07-2016 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:08 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Ok. We have the clutch issues resolved.

Great passes, congrats.

No more clutch discussion, at least in this thread.... it is the FI section.
And generally the only people to trouble a clutch, or require a good clutch are FI users ( and perhaps nitrous )

It is relevant, especially given the OP has a heavy car and goes ******* fast. There are not endless numbers of clutches that will cover that reliably.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The RXT is nothing like you're describing. It's very drivable. What I was getting at is 95% of the time takeoffs are totally smooth. EVERY now and again, and I'm not exactly sure what contributes to it (my driving, my release, temperature, rpm...), it will chatter a tiny bit. That's all. No big deal

Originally Posted by oscs
The clutch was professionally setup and gone through multiple times through the cars upgrade process. This isn't our first rodeo. Its simply not up to the task at the tq levels
Gotcha. I have gone to the extent of milling the slave itself down in multiple areas on the lathe so to get perfect air gap. I'm not sure how many people are going to that extent. It shouldnt be a huge surprise at 1200whp that it's not holding as it's only rated to [1000] probably 850whp when you factor in drivetrain loss. All I know is my car isn't nice to it at this behemoth weight and pretty significant weight with violent launches and it's been zero issue.

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
And generally the only people to trouble a clutch, or require a good clutch are FI users ( and perhaps nitrous )

It is relevant, especially given the OP has a heavy car and goes ******* fast. There are not endless numbers of clutches that will cover that reliably.
It is relevant and it's worth talking about since very few guys are running manuals and we should have more!!! Lets just try to keep it healthily on topic I reckon...

Last edited by gtistile; 12-08-2016 at 06:06 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

I had the RST and loved it, best clutch I've had and I've had quite a few. I wish I had gone with the RXT from the beginning though for more track holding power, but the RST still managed to get my 3800lb Fbody to go 1.5X and 10's on low boost.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Still on stock T-56?
Old 12-08-2016, 08:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks for perfectly illustrating my point lol. Did I say it was faster? No. Also you don't have a glide in your Fbody nor have you driven a glide F-body per other posts you've made in this section. So please atop acting like you have any idea what the differences are. These EXACT comments are what I'm talking about.

Before you get defensive like you do anytime someone calls you out. Just go back and re read what I said first.
While it's true that I've yet to own a glide, I have an associate that has run both in a '72 chevelle.....car was faster with the 400. Often times one can observe what others have experimented with, and learn something. Don't really feel like digging through your post, but I clearly remember you saying that "The using of a glide in a heavy car being a bad idea, is an old wives tale". You mad bro? Lol, man...I'm just pokin at ya. This forum is supposed to be fun, let's not get all upset.

Last edited by Game ova; 12-08-2016 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:30 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo

I understand that, and I also have an RXT in my heavy *** street car making nearly 900 at the wheels, and love it. It chatters a little if I don't give it enough gas, but that's also because I have 3.42 gears, and a light flywheel.

My point was, let's leave the clutch bashing to the clutch section.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:57 AM
8 Second Club

The RXT is nothing like you're describing. It's very drivable. What I was getting at is 95% of the time takeoffs are totally smooth. EVERY now and again, and I'm not exactly sure what contributes to it (my driving, my release, temperature, rpm...), it will chatter a tiny bit. That's all. No big dealGotcha. I have gone to the extent of milling the slave itself down in multiple areas on the lathe so to get perfect air gap. I'm not sure how many people are going to that extent. It shouldnt be a huge surprise at 1200whp that it's not holding as it's only rated to [1000] probably 850whp when you factor in drivetrain loss. All I know is my car isn't nice to it at this behemoth weight and pretty significant weight with violent launches and it's been zero issue.It is relevant and it's worth talking about since very few guys are running manuals and we should have more!!! Lets just try to keep it healthily on topic I reckon...
Yeah no doubt. We know it has reached it limits at 1100. I love the RXT. I was just responding to a question asked.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:06 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Game ova
While it's true that I've yet to own a glide, I have an associate that has run both in a '72 chevelle.....car was faster with the 400. Often times one can observe what others have experimented with, and learn something. Don't really feel like digging through your post, but I clearly remember you saying that "The using of a glide in a heavy car being a bad idea, is an old wives tale". You mad bro? Lol, man...I'm just pokin at ya. This forum is supposed to be fun, let's not get all upset.
This convo has nothing to do with "Fun" Again you've illustrated my point. We aren't talking about what is faster and yes it is a myth. This is 2016 not 1987. There is no shame in keeping quiet if you don't have any experience on the subject. This is a public forum where people come for info. Sadly it is riddled with opinions rather than fact. Let's try and keep that to a minimum is what I'm saying. And FYI a full weight turbo Fbody with a glide is a Fantastic street combo and makes for a killer 1/8 mile/Roll car. Sorry derail OP.

Last edited by oscs; 12-08-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:32 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree, today with as far as electronics have come with transmissions, and engine management, it's amazing what can be considered 'streetable'.

Just a few short years ago, having a 1000hp street car, idling at 600rpm, getting 16-20mpg was a unicorn. Today, it's ho-hum common place, at least in the circles I run in and chat with. 4-digit street cars are common place.... it's depressing.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:38 AM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

I agree, today with as far as electronics have come with transmissions, and engine management, it's amazing what can be considered 'streetable'.

Just a few short years ago, having a 1000hp street car, idling at 600rpm, getting 16-20mpg was a unicorn. Today, it's ho-hum common place, at least in the circles I run in and chat with. 4-digit street cars are common place.... it's depressing.
Hey lets be realistic... we have the idle at 800 RPM.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You aren't kidding man.

Something I have to remind myself though from time to time is that even though it may seem relatively common place on the internet, when you roll up to a packed cars-n-coffee in a 1,000hp car, they still look at you like you have 3 heads. So while it's a lot less freakish now to see on the interwebz, it's still pretty gnarly to see in real life.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
Still on stock T-56?

Sorry if I missed this question before. This is NOT the factory T56. My stocker quit at around 120k miles. This is a RSG built unit that I changed the ratios in a little bit.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:33 PM
8 Second Club

Amen!
Old 12-08-2016, 12:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

This convo has nothing to do with "Fun" Again you've illustrated my point. We aren't talking about what is faster and yes it is a myth. This is 2016 not 1987. There is no shame in keeping quiet if you don't have any experience on the subject. This is a public forum where people come for info. Sadly it is riddled with opinions rather than fact. Let's try and keep that to a minimum is what I'm saying. And FYI a full weight turbo Fbody with a glide is a Fantastic street combo and makes for a killer 1/8 mile/Roll car. Sorry derail OP.
You are right. I really should get my lying eyes checked. I apologize to OP as well. Back to the topic. And congrats to OP for banging out a mean time slip!

Quick Reply: Manual Trans IRS Sedan, 5.3 Turbo: 9.25 @ 154mph!!!