Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Boosted Dorman truck intake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Well yesterday I spend about an hour and I ported all 8 runners and shaved off a few more of the tabs on the top of the intake. My aluminum cutting bits and electric high speed grinder literally took 5 min to cut each port. Love love love porting this nyon stuff lol. The tabs on the top of the intake took longer with a dremel but I'm still contemplating keeping the other tabs that hold the PCV hookup. I know it looks not as great but I need a port for the PCV and the one on the side points straight up. So if I use that I would have to find a 90 or 180 rubber or silicone fitting to connect to.

I ported and removed all the wedges in each intake tract and opened the area right below the injector bung a smidge. Port width is similar to stock but they don't have the injector side blocked off. This leaves a cavity behind it and thus would produce trubulance. The dorman is fully open and the port is taller due to this.

http://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech....4378095099.jpg

http://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech....915abb7127.jpg
http://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech....3db440dac3.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...b07049dc98.jpg

http://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech....682b711a28.jpg

http://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech....f97af80c1f.jpg
Old 01-16-2017, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Well done. We don't always have to pay some to do basic work, right?
Old 01-17-2017, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,388 Likes on 877 Posts

A Gen 4 AC Delco truck intake is 139 bucks...just saying...

Andrew
Old 01-18-2017, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 445 Likes on 337 Posts

sucks its not a 4 bolt intake.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TrendSetter
sucks its not a 4 bolt intake.
The AC Delco gen 4 intake is 4 bolt and cheap...

Andrew
Old 01-19-2017, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
The AC Delco gen 4 intake is 4 bolt and cheap...

Andrew
yup but it still looks like crap compared to the dorman. For me a 4bolt TB would have been an added cost and bad. I don't need bigger than the stock 75mm TB.... that's what boost is for. People have made over 800rwhp on stock TBs and intakes. Even if I don't gain any power over the stocker the looks alone are worth it. I highly doubt I'll loose any power tho judging by what I've seen while looking at the intake. Large plenum, larger runners... straighter shot to the head should make and support more HP.

Either way the intake is done and ported. I have removed all the tabs and now I'm yanking the motor apart to start swapping parts.

New PCV port hookup.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by customblackbird
yup but it still looks like crap compared to the dorman. For me a 4bolt TB would have been an added cost and bad. I don't need bigger than the stock 75mm TB.... that's what boost is for. People have made over 800rwhp on stock TBs and intakes. Even if I don't gain any power over the stocker the looks alone are worth it. I highly doubt I'll loose any power tho judging by what I've seen while looking at the intake. Large plenum, larger runners... straighter shot to the head should make and support more HP.

Either way the intake is done and ported. I have removed all the tabs and now I'm yanking the motor apart to start swapping parts.

New PCV port hookup.
OK...but...some people have Gen IV engines and having a 4 bolt flange is easier. Besides, the AC Delco intake is the coveted TBSS intake...So...aside from looks, some people need a 4 bolt TB...and the intake I mentioned meet that requirement.

Andrew
Old 01-19-2017, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
OK...but...some people have Gen IV engines and having a 4 bolt flange is easier. Besides, the AC Delco intake is the coveted TBSS intake...So...aside from looks, some people need a 4 bolt TB...and the intake I mentioned meet that requirement.

Andrew
sure but that is not what this thread is about. The dorman is a 3 bolt TB for us stock style cable TBs and it looks better and can handle boost. I wasn't saying it's the only intake or the best. But word is that it should flow equal if not better than the TBSS intake and look better doing so. But either way your right TBSS is top dog of OE intakes and if you got a 4 bolt TB.... congrats everyone already knows that. But point me in a direction of a 3 bolt plastic style intake on the cheap that looks good?
Old 01-19-2017, 11:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

that looks pretty good man. is that wrinkle coat on the stock TB? hows that stuff hold up?
Old 01-20-2017, 05:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks good man, nice cheap good looking solution! If I didn't already have an LS6 intake I would be doing the same.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:10 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Didn't someone on YB blow one of these up at 15 PSI? I remember seeing pictures saying it didn't hold boost any better than the Dorman LS6.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by truckdoug
that looks pretty good man. is that wrinkle coat on the stock TB? hows that stuff hold up?
I like it. I like black and machined aluminum and this is black but the texture adds something to it. Its a pretty durable finish. I have only done my valve covers, Valley cover, Timing cover, TB and spacer and my water pump. BAsically anything small enough that I can bake in the oven to cure it quicker. Plus when you bake it the finish is TOUGH and the wrinkles are tighter and to me alittle cleaner looking. It should look awsome when I'm done and the wrinkle black is chemical resistant so it should hold up pretty well. I used 500*F engine primer on most (everything but the TB/spacer and waterpump) first after a good cleaning with brake clean. I spray 3 decent/heavy coats and bake for 1 hour at 200*F and your all done.

Just last night during my cam swap I got some oil on the new wrinkly painted valley cover and It wiped up easily the wrinkle shreds the paper towel alittle lol.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1-IROC
Looks good man, nice cheap good looking solution! If I didn't already have an LS6 intake I would be doing the same.

Thanks. I could have gone LS6 but I like the height of the truck intakes and I like the extra low end they provide. I was able to fit it under my stock 3rd gen hood too as I see you also have one
Old 01-20-2017, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Didn't someone on YB blow one of these up at 15 PSI? I remember seeing pictures saying it didn't hold boost any better than the Dorman LS6.

Nope. That was an LS6 dorman intake that blew up at 15psi. They are a different design between the truck and LS6/LS2 versions. The trucks are literally Bolted together where as the LS6/LS2 are Sonic welded only.

Also since I'm only running 12psi (and it should be alittle less with the new custom cam/ported heads) so I'm not worried as I'm lower than what that guy blew it up.

I haven't seen anything on the truck intakes blowing up. In fact there is very little info on them out there. Only one guy took his apart and supposedly it was a prototype and he had to richen up his tune alot due the extra air but he also had a host of leaks (prob from him not having the right seals to replace where the peices come together) and I think he just used RTV or something. So I dont take that as a valid issue as he took the intake apart.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:02 AM
Restricted User

The one I'm talking about wasn't a blatant failure like the LS6 intake. It didn't split in half, but ended up leaking from half a dozen spots and had a large crack near the TB.

I can't find anything on it now. I could be completely wrong but I passed on one of these from craigslist that was $80 after I seen the post.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:13 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JoeNova
The one I'm talking about wasn't a blatant failure like the LS6 intake. It didn't split in half, but ended up leaking from half a dozen spots and had a large crack near the TB.

I can't find anything on it now. I could be completely wrong but I passed on one of these from craigslist that was $80 after I seen the post.

This is all i could find and it was the LS6 version and blew up at 15lbs under load.
Name:  unnamed%202_zps4vmjkygr.jpg
Views: 1480
Size:  30.1 KB
Old 01-20-2017, 09:50 AM
Restricted User

I hope it works out. Any chance you'll be able to get back to back numbers vs another truck intake?
Old 01-20-2017, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea me too lol... IF it doesnt then I learned but it wasn't a waste of too much money. If I blow it up in 6 months I'll get summit to accept the return and refund as they are pretty good with that. I won't be getting back to back info. The motor is getting a full upgrade, custom blower cam, ported replacement stock heads and now the intake, ported TB etc. I dont do dyno sessions but I know I'm going to get a minimum of 80hp from the cam upgrade according to cam motion. so any seat of the pants power increase is going to be from those other supporting mods.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

But there are key design changes between the LS6 version above and the truck. Truck is bolted together even at the front and back over the valley area where the LS6 is just sonic welded. You can see in these pics kinda that the front and back of the truck intake there are multiple bolts that hold it together.

2 bolts in the front and 5 in the back I think.

Quick Reply: Boosted Dorman truck intake?