Advice on where to put some money on current setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Advice on where to put some money on current setup

Basics: Ls6
383 forged crank/rods/pistons
-30cc pistons. (cant remember exact -cc but about that.
Stock LS6 heads
Cr 8:8
Hardened push rods
Yellow beehive springs
Ls6 TB/Intake,
Twin GARRETT T31/T04E 57 trim .82 a/r
Currently 11psi boost, 92 octane.
Aeromotive 1000 fuel pump, -10 lines, larger rails, 80cc injectors
Will only run 92 octane. Not looking to replace intake manifold due to custom paint. In a 2000lb sand car

Have had fun and want a bit more. Not sure what direction to go. Advice?
Old 01-21-2017, 10:30 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

More boost.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:26 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Spend some time devising high quality filtration systems for the air and oil.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

hit the squat rack and drink a gallon of milk a day
Old 01-21-2017, 11:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Put the extra money in savings.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

more boost for more power while still saving money lol!
Old 01-22-2017, 01:52 AM
On The Tree

Milk?
Filtration is just fine.

Easy to add boost and tune. Was wondering on the cam. Is the ls6 cam adequate? I read it takes boost descent but a turbo cam that may be better for the added cubes.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:29 AM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Banshee Ben
Milk?
Filtration is just fine.

Easy to add boost and tune. Was wondering on the cam. Is the ls6 cam adequate? I read it takes boost descent but a turbo cam that may be better for the added cubes.
I wouldnt go ripping into a FI engine to change the cam unless you were looking at a significant VE change in the engine operating parameter (100hp+) given the pre-requisits are met for such an application (head/intake/valvetrain capability).

Boost is much easier to adjust, and compensate for (water injection and so forth).

Whole Milk is a source of protein, carbs, AND fat, in somewhat equivalent ratios, which makes it unique (I don't know of many 'foods' like that off the top of my head but if you search you might find some) The short answer is that, body builders and power lifter types on a 'bulk' need all 3 macronutrients in a hurry, and milk is a quick way to get all 3, and it goes down fast. Mix it with whey protein and you have yourself a liquid steak and fries meal, sort of.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

yeah a cam spec'd for your compression + cubes combo would get some power...but it might look quite a lot like your LS6 cam

turn up the boost and let it eat
Old 01-24-2017, 09:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

crank the boost...if your still not happy, add water/meth and crank it even more. You should be able to go a few more psi easily with that CR on pump gas if the tune is reasonable. Trust your tuner?
Old 01-24-2017, 06:05 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Basics: Ls6
383 forged crank/rods/pistons
-30cc pistons. (cant remember exact -cc but about that.
Stock LS6 heads
Cr 8:8
Hardened push rods
Yellow beehive springs
Ls6 TB/Intake,
Twin GARRETT T31/T04E 57 trim .82 a/r
Currently 11psi boost, 92 octane.
Aeromotive 1000 fuel pump, -10 lines, larger rails, 80cc injectors
Will only run 92 octane. Not looking to replace intake manifold due to custom paint. In a 2000lb sand car

Have had fun and want a bit more. Not sure what direction to go. Advice?
You've asked where to put money.....but not given any indication of whether that is for performance gains, for shiny bits...or whether you just want to spend more money on fuel and enjoying it
Nor have you indicated that performance is lacking, or where it may be lacking etc.

Or indeed what budget you are working with
Old 01-25-2017, 02:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
You've asked where to put money.....but not given any indication of whether that is for performance gains, for shiny bits...or whether you just want to spend more money on fuel and enjoying it
Nor have you indicated that performance is lacking, or where it may be lacking etc.

Or indeed what budget you are working with
Not wanting shiny bits.

Built the motor 8 years ago and Spent money on Forging the ls6, for the cost it seemed the heads/intake/cam on the ls6 were descent for hp. And at the time fit my budget.

In the sand you can use all the hp all the time, and you get use to the power. I use to smile more often, so I would like to bump up the hp and get the fun factor back. If I can do it safely by going from 11psi to 15 via correct tune, (which it currently is a safe tune)or add water to be safe it may be an option. I'd guess 4psi of boost is a good 70 hp+-. Or if advised that a turbo cam can get me 70 hp+- at current boost levels that may be an easy option and easier on the motor. The also gives me the ability to add more boost down the line. Just getting info from people and their preferences/thoughts so I can better aim my research. So far seems just turn up the boost. As for budget, I'll spend what is needed to gain a noticeable difference. Not looking for +200hp
Old 01-25-2017, 06:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Cant really go wrong with the LS6 cam and a little more boost. The cam is good reliable cam that is easy on parts and quiet, decent gains and priced right. It a good fit for the tough environment your engine is operating in.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:35 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Not wanting shiny bits.

Built the motor 8 years ago and Spent money on Forging the ls6, for the cost it seemed the heads/intake/cam on the ls6 were descent for hp. And at the time fit my budget.

In the sand you can use all the hp all the time, and you get use to the power. I use to smile more often, so I would like to bump up the hp and get the fun factor back. If I can do it safely by going from 11psi to 15 via correct tune, (which it currently is a safe tune)or add water to be safe it may be an option. I'd guess 4psi of boost is a good 70 hp+-. Or if advised that a turbo cam can get me 70 hp+- at current boost levels that may be an easy option and easier on the motor. The also gives me the ability to add more boost down the line. Just getting info from people and their preferences/thoughts so I can better aim my research. So far seems just turn up the boost. As for budget, I'll spend what is needed to gain a noticeable difference. Not looking for +200hp
Do you have a good intercooler or none ?

Really on the cheap...install a good cam and up the boost a little. Inexpensive and that should easily see 100+hp gain, perhaps more.
A cam should help power everywhere and spool faster too as long as you choose correctly.

Of course the above assumes the turbos are also happy with the additional airflow, but they probably should be.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:09 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

If I can do it safely by going from 11psi to 15 via correct tune, (which it currently is a safe tune)or add water to be safe it may be an option. I'd guess 4psi of boost is a good 70 hp+-. Or if advised that a turbo cam can get me 70 hp+- at current boost levels that may be an easy option and easier on the motor
Your engine doesn't care how much boost you run. It cares about HP/TQ/RPM. If you pick up 70 HP with more boost, or pick up 70 HP at the same boost with a bigger cam, it doesn't care. Its the exact same. The only thing more boost is going to do is cause a little more heat in the intake temps. With 8.8:1 compression, its not going to make any difference...
Old 01-28-2017, 11:55 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Install water meth kit and turn it up to 20-25lbs. No reason to touch the engine if the turbo's aren't' tapped.

If the turbos are tapped, look to larger turbos before touching a happy engine IMO. What are the compressor major/minor specs on the compressor/exhaust wheels?

Also watch your rail pressures with that fuel pump. The A1000 is great for low pressures. But a typical turbo pressures they flow diddly. Single AEM 380 inline will out flow an A1000 easy at 65+psi.

Quick Reply: Advice on where to put some money on current setup