Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My 98 z28 turbo build thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 06:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=ScottyBG;19551495]Why did you go Holley in the first place rather than tune your OEM computer? The Holley is nice, I wouldn't mind having one, but it has drawbacks too. You could do a stand alone TCM if you wanted to go 80E, Quote]

yes I agree on the cage , as I've never done one . As far as my welding skills, it's one of my more refined skills in the auto world, but as you stated , welding exhaust pipe together, or making my own fuel cell is a whole different ballgame than a chromoly cage that may save my life. This isn't my first welder, but it was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up. You'll get mixed reviews on it but to me , it welds as good as any miller. The problem arises in replacement parts for it. Gotta love snap on haha. Right now I'm trying to figure out what injectors, who I should have spec my cam, and what gears I should run out back since I'm switching to auto. I see a lot of great results with the ls6 cam on boost. I'd rather get the max potential from my turbo setup though . Little john, btr, tick performance , tsp, its hard to make a decision of my own because I'm basing it off a lot of people's biased opinions who've ran only the one cam in their cars. I'm gonna run som pretty fat et streets again, and may even run a pair of slicks at the track when not racing in street money or street trophy. I imagine a custom built torque converter is a must here, but again there are 3 companies with great reviews and I want the driveline to be well thought out , and suitable for street/strip duty. Lots of little things going into this are what seem to get overwhelming at times !
Old 03-04-2017, 10:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd stick with a smaller cam and let the boost do the work!
Old 03-05-2017, 04:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Last night had some strange ticking type noise going on. Couldn't diagnose in my driveway so i waited till today. The belt was chewed again as I've been delaying installing my new katech tensioner .. I reinstalled the new belt and the noise was still there . The fan on my passenger side "derale unit" decided to crap out ... in the meantime my idle hung up for some other odd no explanation reason! I reset the tps sensor . Fired the car back up after disconnecting my one bad fan and the car idled perfect again . My new fuel system should be in around Tuesday/Wednesday so I'll have plenty to keep me busy. Almost time to tear it down and start over fresh! I have more fun building them then I do driving em 🤔

Last edited by Dennis5374; 03-05-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Forgot too add this fan is only 6 months old ... quite irritated at the moment
Old 03-05-2017, 04:44 PM
Teching In

Following this for the 6.0 turbo setup I have some similar plans just not as high hp goal. Good luck can't wait to see it come together
Old 03-06-2017, 07:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lssloth
Following this for the 6.0 turbo setup I have some similar plans just not as high hp goal. Good luck can't wait to see it come together
Hoping to have all the parts the end of march/beginning of April. Motor should be all wrapped up in a couple weeks and ready to install. I've got a ton of changes to make with the car though. Under the hood is a wiring nightmare, I need to find spots to hide all the relays and the grounds etc. can't stand seeing all that when I open the hood of my car .
Old 03-06-2017, 10:26 AM
Teching In

right on man
Old 03-06-2017, 11:49 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would be glad to help you with a turbo cam and help provide any information you're needing to choose the right parts for your build.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

So a little off topic but I ended up buying a car off an online salvage auction yesterday. 2012 challenger rt for 5100 after fees! I was skeptical at first as it appeared the passenger side was the only thing damaged but after looking it over , I scored a pretty nice car for pennies on the dollar! Why this is relevant ? I'm currently sitting on a lq4 , a lq9, and contemplating buying a 2013 ss that runs and drives but the body is totaled ! That 6.2 , those rims tires seats brakes all look mighty appealing too me at the moment . What's a low mileage drivetrain from that worth ? 6.2 auto car , 33k miles ? Man I'd love to build a 6.2 based motor for this car , or just got sbe and reach for the stars !
Old 03-10-2017, 09:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Martin Smallwood
I would be glad to help you with a turbo cam and help provide any information you're needing to choose the right parts for your build.
yes I'm definitely gonna need a new cam as my 228r is just not that boost friendly ! Right now I'm stuck between the 3 motors mentioned above . I'll probably stick with my original plan though, and if I get the 6.2/4l80 I'll swap them in a 3rd gen roller I have toting around the shop
Old 03-10-2017, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Damn Dennis, you have the automotive version of ADHD. Your direction changes so rapidly, we just can't keep up. By the time you get answers to one question, your already working on 2 other things.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

These kinda fell in my lap and I couldn't pass them up! Now I just have to figure out which motor is going where lol
Old 03-16-2017, 11:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Racetronix complete fuel system for 98 z28. Dual 340lph pumps, billet rails, everything needed to start making big power , as well as a meziere electric waterpump to boot!
Rails are real sharp, boost referenced regulator , overall very pleased with the quality of their fuel syste!
Lots of new fat fuel line ! Only down fall to this setup is the fact that you have to install all the hose ends yourself. But for 1000.00 as opposed to 2200+ I'll spend the few days making the hoses from scratch ! Also received my water/meth injector driver and mg shifter today, shifter looks great and I'm excited to get this build going ! Can't wait for the new twin setup to show up from Huron
Old 03-17-2017, 11:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Got my mg shifter installed today, my stock or "what' came with my car" white hurst **** won't fit the new shifting rod, any recommendations on what feels the best ? Also for other members who have the same shifter, how much did you cut the rod down for the best feel and shortest throw, without sacrificing shifting leverage?
pics to follow soon, been busy working on a Cadillac Escalade I picked up for the last 4 days so I've been neglecting the z!
Old 03-26-2017, 01:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

So a slight update as I've been waiting for parts , I've taken the liberty of ordering all new bolts for under the hood. OCD has now kicked into overdrive and everything has to be perfect . Also polishing all brackets, accessories by hand at home after work" the wife absolutely hates this 😂😂" just to kill time . A few posts back I stated I was going with a 4l80, but the fun factor has gotten the better of me and I've decided on a max effort t56 magnum . Only other changes I've made are pt6766's as I feel the 62 will spool ultra quick and make it even harder to find traction on the street . I also ordered a Wolfe 8.50 cage as well as their mini tub kit . Car is gutted and basically all parts from my previous setup are up for sale . I intend on ordering custom valves afcos by madman next week. In the mean time , I've been focusing on getting the car back to brand new as far as exterior , underhood , and underneath goes. I've removed all light surface rust and undercoated the z! Only other piece of the puzzle aside from the previously mentioned items is a high quality clutch setup "rsp carbon?" Tilton pump and hydraulic lines to cool the new m6, and injectors .i believe I'll be going with hpi 200s as the 25% off sale is really starting to catch my eye, on top of the lifetime warranty ! Also waiting on a return email from Martin for the custom ground cam . I'll start posting pictures on Monday when I get back to the shop and dig in! Over and out
Old 03-27-2017, 02:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

All gutted and waiting for my Wolfe 8.50 cage and mini tubs to arrive , waiting for my an wrenches , so I can start assembling the new fuel system. The dash still has to come apart but definitely making some progress !
Old 03-28-2017, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Memories of my build are coming back Keep us posted as to how your build is going.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

So I started the an fittings today and man is this teflon line a PITA to get tight!! The stainless braided hose goes together so much easier than these teflon lines!!... still waiting for parts as of right now, but finally got this back to the shop today and am extremely excited for this too come together as well.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Dennis5374
A little rich but decent color
609-646 on 13 psi . Boost controller may be the drastic fall off?
Damn! You made this with single 255lph?? I got a t-76 with 255racetronix pump/hotwire and was thinking itd run lean after 550!
Old 03-31-2017, 01:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by fbody4everyone
Damn! You made this with single 255lph?? I got a t-76 with 255racetronix pump/hotwire and was thinking itd run lean after 550!
boost a pump as well , still had some rooom . I'd say 700 is about the limits of that fuel system with the boost a pump .

Quick Reply: My 98 z28 turbo build thread