Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Build me an 1100fwhp SINGLE turbo setup using a 5.3, 5.7, or 6.0.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 05:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin Smallwood
As far as small cubes vs. big cubes it comes down to application. If this was a race car that only cared about performance at the track I'd go small cubes all day long.

However, if this is more of a street car (which I assume it is based on the fact it has AC and will be driven 4 times or more a week on the street) I would go with more cubic inches to allow the power delivery to be more responsive.

What I would do is the 6.0, 243/799 heads, LS6 intake, S476 billet with a T4 1.25 AR housing and a 96mm turbine. If you're going to be running pump gas I'd keep compression no higher than 10:1 and that would be in conjunction with using a dual nozzle meth kit. If no meth kit I'd keep it at 9.5:1. Use a set of Callies H beam compstar rods and a wiseco shelf piston. ARP main studs and head studs along with a set of LS9 gaskets.

Keep in mind guys he says he wants to drive this 4+ times a week on the street AND it's a 6 speed. It's going to lose drive pressure on every shift and it doesn't have the ability to keep the engine loaded through the shift like an auto. You can build it like a race car if you want, but it may be a bit laggy and not as responsive.

I would be happy to help you work out the details on your build as well as supplying any parts you might need. The engine and turbo combo I mentioned will make 900rwhp while being more responsive and enjoyable to drive with a 6 speed car.

Hope this helps!
thanks for the response, your viewpoint on it being a 6 speed is very helpful.
I plan on running e85, no meth kit. Would you still suggest 9.5:1 compression? or going to 10.1 since it's e85?

You are also correct on it being a street car. because of this i'm looking for the most responsive and least laggy setup possible (that matches my requirements..) I planned on using a quick spool valve to help with this. Do you think it would be worth it in my situation?

And what cam would you suggest for this setup?
I currently have absolutely nothing except the block so am going to be needing to buy a lot of parts (new or used) and can go any direction at this point.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're going to run E85 I'd build it with at least 10.5:1 CR. I have some customers running over 11:1 on E85. What I would recommend would be a Wiseco shelf piston 4.030" bore with a -3.2cc relief volume. With a 64cc 799/243 head and a LS9 gasket you'll have right at 10.8:1 compression. I'd also use the upgraded 9310 .200" wall S718 wrist pins with the aforementioned Callies Compstar H-beams.

I don't personally feel the quick spool valve is necessary, but it probably wouldn't hurt anything. I don't have much experience with the quick spool valve to give you much information there.

As for the camshaft, if you do go with the turbo and engine combo I suggested I would do something in the range of a 228/228 114+4. This would give you quick spool, a choppy enough idle to know it has a cam and a shift point around 6700-6800RPM.

I can supply all the parts I've mentioned so far along with others that you may need and I would be happy to continue to help steer you in the best direction for your application.

Last edited by Martin Smallwood; 03-16-2017 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Martin Smallwood
As far as small cubes vs. big cubes it comes down to application. If this was a race car that only cared about performance at the track I'd go small cubes all day long.

However, if this is more of a street car (which I assume it is based on the fact it has AC and will be driven 4 times or more a week on the street) I would go with more cubic inches to allow the power delivery
to be more responsive.

What I would do is the 6.0, 243/799 heads, LS6 intake, S476 billet with a T4 1.25 AR housing and a 96mm turbine. If you're going to be running pump gas I'd keep compression no higher than 10:1 and that would be in conjunction with using a dual nozzle meth kit. If no meth kit I'd keep it at 9.5:1. Use a set of Callies H beam compstar rods and a wiseco shelf piston. ARP main studs and head studs along with a set of LS9 gaskets.

Keep in mind guys he says he wants to drive this 4+ times a week on the street AND it's a 6 speed. It's going to lose drive pressure on every shift and it doesn't have the ability to keep the engine loaded through the shift like an auto. You can build it like a race car if you want, but it may be a bit laggy and not as responsive.

I would be happy to help you work out the details on your build as well as supplying any parts you might need. The engine and turbo combo I mentioned will make 900rwhp while being more responsive and enjoyable to drive with a 6 speed car.

Hope this helps!

Guys, not to hijack this thread but I've got the same questions and it doesn't make sense to start a new thread.
I'm in need of a forged motor to run around town in the 700rw range but want to turn it up to 850+ at some point. I want to be able to max out my turbo and kit. Huron speed t4 kit with a turbonetics 7875. What motor will work best? 5.3 or 6.0? Aluminum or iron? I'd like it to spool as quickly as possible and avoid laggy portions of acceleration on the street. This is a huge expense so I wanna do it once and that's it.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:13 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

And therein lies your answer.

Under absolutely every circumstance the larger motor will outspool the smaller engine with the same bolt on kit/parts and offer less lag.

And for that power range, aluminium is perfectly fine.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
And therein lies your answer.

Under absolutely every circumstance the larger motor will outspool the smaller engine with the same bolt on kit/parts and offer less lag.

And for that power range, aluminium is perfectly fine.
ok so let's say I go with a 6.0, stock bore and stroke, iron block, any issues with hitting or surpassing 1000 to the tire? Most likely it would be with another turbo at that point, but idk how crazy I may want to get down the road so I'd want to make sure that forged block would handle the power. I would try to max out my 78/75 in the mean time. That would maybe get me to 800rw on the 6.0?
Old 03-23-2017, 06:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 537 Likes on 383 Posts

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/engines-drivetrain/1309-370-iron-block-salt-shaker/

​​​​​​I'm a all motor guy but thank me later
Old 03-23-2017, 07:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/engines-drivetrain/1309-370-iron-block-salt-shaker/

​​​​​​I'm a all motor guy but thank me later
The link isn't working 😞
Old 03-23-2017, 07:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by aaronware76
The link isn't working 😞
It's easy to find. gmhtp 370ci salt shaker.

Motor made 1200 hp.....
Old 03-23-2017, 11:39 AM
9 Second Club

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...k-salt-shaker/

works for me ?
Old 03-23-2017, 11:42 AM
TECH Veteran

That's it Stevie... link worked perfectly.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
That's it Stevie... link worked perfectly.
Fellas... thank you. 6.0 it is. The car is a street car also, not just track duty so I want the better out of boost responsiveness, torque and faster spool when I lean into it. I've got methanol injection and will be running 93 octane so I'm thinking of going 9.5-10:1 compression. 243 heads milled to achieve this ratio or use the Prc 5.3L stage 2.5 heads I already have? I don't want it to run out of steam too low but don't wanna have to spin it to 6800 either.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:36 PM
9 Second Club

IMO with pump, always err on the safe side with CR, unless when racing or pushing hard you intend to use race of good fuel.

9-9.5:1 would make more sense and give everything an easier time.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:16 AM
Launching!

IMO with pump, always err on the safe side with CR, unless when racing or pushing hard you intend to use race of good fuel.

9-9.5:1 would make more sense and give everything an easier time.

how how far do you think the 78/75 would take me, on the 6.0, before too much back pressure becomes an issue?i have a 3" cutout at the end of the downpipe if that helps any. Which is located on the dr side front floor board.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:03 PM
9 Second Club

There's only one way to find out.

But one part worth spending money on is a good turbo vs chinese stuff IMO.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:41 PM
Launching!

There's only one way to find out.

But one part worth spending money on is a good turbo vs chinese stuff IMO.
im with ya there Stevie. My 7875 now is a Turbonetics. I didn't plan on going nuts with the power originally but if I'm gonna go with a forged motor that'll handle 1100hp, I might as well turn it up. I know the 5.3 will fit my setup better but I'm just nervous about it being a dog out of boost under normal driving conditions. I still drive the car in the nice weather to work, put my kids and wife in the car and we all cruise so it's not driven ***** out all the time.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For your power goals and the large 6.0 displacement, I would sell the 7875 and step up to a T6 borg warner 80mm if your looking for 1100 hp. I also agree with lower CR with pump gas. I wouldnt go over 9.5:1. I decided on 9.5:1 with my forged 5.3 even with e85.

With a lower CR you can typically run more ignition timing. When you advance ignition timing, EGT's go DOWN. The bandaid for too high of CR is low timing IMO. Not saying hundreds of people dont do it successfully...but I prefer lower CR, more timing and maybe a hair more boost.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by roastin240
For your power goals and the large 6.0 displacement, I would sell the 7875 and step up to a T6 borg warner 80mm if your looking for 1100 hp. I also agree with lower CR with pump gas. I wouldnt go over 9.5:1. I decided on 9.5:1 with my forged 5.3 even with e85.

With a lower CR you can typically run more ignition timing. When you advance ignition timing, EGT's go DOWN. The bandaid for too high of CR is low timing IMO. Not saying hundreds of people dont do it successfully...but I prefer lower CR, more timing and maybe a hair more boost.
im not looking for 1100 hp right off the get go. I may be looking for that down the road a bit because we all know, you always want more. I know both the 5.3 and the 6.0 can be built with the right combo to hit that number but for now, I'm looking for a fast spooling lagless combo that makes somewhere in the 700-800 range with room to grow with a turbo change or whatever down the road. I don't wanna cage the car yet, I still got car seats to fit in the back when we all wanna cruise somewhere. It's not ideal, but they'll fit! The car does see track time, 1/8th mile mostly and there will be the occasional sprint up to about 140mph when prompted on the street. I know I have a couple choices of turbos that will fit on my Huron speed ac kit when a change is needed. Since from a motor perspective, I'm starting from scratch, I'm just looking for the best combo to be a fast street car that will do well at the track and I don't want to wait till 3k rpm's for boost to finally start rolling in. Also, I don't want it to be gutless when out of boost while normally driving in traffic or whatever.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:36 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Compression is always determined by what fuel you are willing to run. I always recommend running the most compression that your intended fuel can handle. Of course chamber design, camshaft design and piston design will also determine how far you can push a certain fuel, but I highly recommend to all my customers to run as much compression as you can.

I have several customers with turbo set-ups running race gas that are well above 11:1 and some even over 12:1, and I can tell you that the higher CR engines make more power.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:20 AM
10 Second Club

Following this as I've got similar plans. Good luck with the build.

Quick Reply: Build me an 1100fwhp SINGLE turbo setup using a 5.3, 5.7, or 6.0.