Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Methanol injection questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Methanol injection questions

Any reccomended methanol injection kits?
Is methanol used all the time or only when you need extra hp?
How much methanol is used?
What are the advantages dis-advantages to meth/water?

Answer to any of the questions are greatly appreciated!
Old 07-31-2004, 11:25 PM
TECH Addict

i am using hte SMC alky kit
ed
Old 07-31-2004, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 69firebird
i am using hte SMC alky kit
ed
Ed, he's looking for a little more elaboration than that.
Old 07-31-2004, 11:59 PM
TECH Addict

ok,
Get the SMC alky kit, you can run meth in it, it comes with a nice boost referenced controller, and you can adjust it from the fly inside the car.

Really nice kit, and has been proven time and time again, buick guys have been using this kit for years, and some of the import guys have been as well.

Most of the people that I have seen either use the SMC alky kit, or the Snow water injection kit.

Unusual are you going to run an alky kit? do you already have it? if so can you make a copy of the instructions for me.
hope that is enough info for you, if you have any other questions please PM me
thanks
ed
Old 08-01-2004, 12:02 AM
TECH Addict

ok,
I see that I missed something, the SMC kit, comes on when you hit a certain boost pressure, what it does is lower the inlet temps to the engine, and if your using alky or meth instead of water, then you will get some octane gains as well.

It does not make power on its own, it allows you to run either higher boost on less octane, or allow you to have a 'band aid' solution to not having a fuel system
ed
Old 08-01-2004, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Hmm more questions..

Thanks for the replies!

So what are the advantages - disadvantages of Alcohol vs Methanol vs water?
Old 08-01-2004, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 69firebird
ok,
Get the SMC alky kit, you can run meth in it, it comes with a nice boost referenced controller, and you can adjust it from the fly inside the car.

Really nice kit, and has been proven time and time again, buick guys have been using this kit for years, and some of the import guys have been as well.

Most of the people that I have seen either use the SMC alky kit, or the Snow water injection kit.

Unusual are you going to run an alky kit? do you already have it? if so can you make a copy of the instructions for me.
hope that is enough info for you, if you have any other questions please PM me
thanks
ed
I don't even really understand what an alky kit does compared to race gas to tell you the truth. I wonder if anyone can explain it to me in english. I was thinking with an alky kit, if for some reason my car gets hit it could be flammable.
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Flipper
Thanks for the replies!

I would love to know this.
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies!

Methanol is alcohol, but there are many different kinds of alcohol you can use. To simplify it we'll just compare meth and distilled water. The meth does not reduce the IAT's as much as water does, but the meth effectively increases your octane rating higher, and will let you make more power on pump gas.

I've said this a few times before, but we're running an Alky Control kit on a buddies non-intercooled 331 mustang running 21 pounds of boost and well over 800 RWHP on pump gas. Works like a hot damn.
Old 08-01-2004, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eviltwins
Methanol is alcohol, but there are many different kinds of alcohol you can use. To simplify it we'll just compare meth and distilled water. The meth does not reduce the IAT's as much as water does, but the meth effectively increases your octane rating higher, and will let you make more power on pump gas.

I've said this a few times before, but we're running an Alky Control kit on a buddies non-intercooled 331 mustang running 21 pounds of boost and well over 800 RWHP on pump gas. Works like a hot damn.
How does it make more power on pump gas without changing anything with your tune? I was under the impression with higher octane you will just be able to run more boost safely.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:26 AM
Tenured Member

Check out the STS kit on our site. It has worked great for us. It comes with jet, and pump choice. It runs boost referenced, and sequentially with the injectors. This will give a more even flow rate with power. So far we have found about a 75/25 meth water mix to give the octane and cooling affect we want. And yes both help cooling and allow more boost because of the increase in octane. An example would be with a boost controller (electric) to set a tune for a low boost setting with out meth/water, and then on high boost, tune the meth/water allowing you to keep your low boost tune. That would be with a stock PCM not being able tune for above 0 pressure.
Old 08-01-2004, 07:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TurboLT1
Check out the STS kit on our site. It has worked great for us. It comes with jet, and pump choice. It runs boost referenced, and sequentially with the injectors. This will give a more even flow rate with power. So far we have found about a 75/25 meth water mix to give the octane and cooling affect we want. And yes both help cooling and allow more boost because of the increase in octane. An example would be with a boost controller (electric) to set a tune for a low boost setting with out meth/water, and then on high boost, tune the meth/water allowing you to keep your low boost tune. That would be with a stock PCM not being able tune for above 0 pressure.
I checked out your kit. Could you tell me a bit more (either via email, phone or here) about how this kit would work with my setup? I have a non-IC magnuson on a 98 C5.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

per eviltwins, check out www.alkycontrol.com

injected meth does 2 things, cools the intake charge tremendously, which reduces the chance of knock, and adds fuel of racing-octane quality. When your car is tuned and monitored properly, it is not a band-aid fueling enhancement.

If you want to learn about meth injection, go to www.turbobuicks.com and search the history. good stuff. specifically, here:http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/fo...php?forumid=45

I researched the subject later last winter and ended up going with alky's PAC kit.

Last edited by DaveSchott; 08-01-2004 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:14 AM
TECH Addict

if you are running race gas the alky wont help you, the alky adds octane to pump gas to allow you to run more boost. Race gas is leaded and will fowl out O2 sensors.

the alky helps boost with pump gas
ed
if you still have more questions unusual pm me
Old 08-01-2004, 09:52 AM
Teching In

I run Torco in my car so I should already be near 100-104 octane.

However, I have a non-IC magnuson and I would assume running a more water then alcohol I could really help my IAT's which can get quite hot. (190-200 IATs not uncommon)
Old 08-01-2004, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default More questions?

Does the injection happen before or after the MAF? (Remote rear mounted)
How much (obviosly depends on alot of things) methanol will you go through during normal street use?
Example: 1 gallon of meth to 1 25 gallon tank of fuel?
Old 08-01-2004, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does the injection happen before or after the MAF? (Remote rear mounted)
How much (obviosly depends on alot of things) methanol will you go through during normal street use?
Example: 1 gallon of meth to 1 25 gallon tank of fuel?
it is normally right before the TB.

methanol will last awhile...unless you are driving WOT stop light to stop light then it will be used up. its not like nitrous where is will last 5-10 races.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

Here are the results for a Whippled 5.3:

Note the first (nothing injected at all), second (70% Isapropyl/30% water) and fifth runs (100 Methanol...also,the 3rd and 4th were when we still had Isapropyl in the lines so they are kinda useless):

http://james.jaguar.net/coontoot/dynorun123.jpg
http://james.jaguar.net/coontoot/dynorun5.jpg

This clearly shows a 16 RWHP gain from Isapropyl/Water and a 36 RWHP gain from Methanol. All this from a homemade kit that comes on at 5 PSI I put together myself. Hope this helps.

PS-Can you tell at what RPM the Whipple Aux injectors kick in?

Scott
Old 08-01-2004, 03:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i bought the snow kit for two reasons
cost savings: i spend $5 in methanol in about 2 weeks where the same time worth of race gas would cost easily $50.
safety: i run the same boost level with the methanol as i did with the race fuel, however, metanol additionally cools the air charge so it puts the engine even further from detonation
i run the 220psi pump and a single 625ml nozzle right now
Old 08-01-2004, 04:10 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I also went with AlkyControl's kit. Mainly because of the progressive controller and the awesome customer service Julio gives. STS is actually thinking about having AlkyControl make their new kits

I run straight methanol in my system as it only cost me $3.25/ga locally.

Another reason some run meth instead of water is that meth will flash faster than water since it was a much lower boiling point and will help to cool the intake air before it even reaches the combustion chamber somewhat.

I think the biggest reason people run water or a 50/50 mix is #1 cost and #2 methanol or alky is highly flamable so in the event of an accident or spill the 50/50 mix wont burn.

Quick Reply: Methanol injection questions