Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS kit, forged engine, 15psi/600rwhp attainable???

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 12:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS kit, forged engine, 15psi/600rwhp attainable???

Kinda thinking about going forced induction with my LS1/rx7 setup since i now have all winter to plan, buy, and build.

Using the upgraded turbo STS offers, il fab up a custom FMIC setup, and with a forged engine... Anyone think the STS kit is capable of big numbers? 600-700hp and 650-750trq??? (12-18psi range) Everyone seems to only play with 10PSI or less .

How nessecary is the alc/meth injection with a forged engine with Ls1 edit, large *** injectors and a fuel system that can support 1000hp? I want big power and since i have a Ls1 in a 93 rx7, QMP wont fit, most if not all superchargers wont fit, and i dont feel like dickin around with a custom single setup. I have a fuel cell, so the stock tank is gone allowing plenty of room for the STS setup.

I have a wicked heads/cam/spray setup already purchased,,, but i do a lot of highway. I personally dont feel safe rockin a g5x2, TEA stg2 5.3, tons of bolt ons, and 200 shot via TNT f2. Kinda afraid the engine wont stay together as reliably as a forged, boost, but basically stock ls1 from the cam up. I just would feel more safe with 650rwhp boosted than 650 rwhp on spray...

Anyones thoughts and info that pertain to my thread are greatly appreciated, i dont want to hear any STS bashing. I read enough of that searching through the board...thanks.
-james
Old 09-29-2004, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

i have a gt70 and a front mount going on in the next 3 weeks. I will be running 8-12 psi non alky, I will let you know my results. Im hoping to beat my current setup so....
Old 09-29-2004, 12:46 PM
Launching!

whats your setup? Not a STS, i see you have a D1 in your sig...Wish i could make that work in my setup
Old 09-29-2004, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

forged ls6, 6.0l heads/cam fast intake and d1
Old 09-29-2004, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

He has an STS going in to replace that I believe. We just did a t-70 on a 408 that was making 530 with 2 stages of nitrous. I dont have #'s yet, but he said it felt much stronger than with the nitrous and that was with 8psi. I dont think there will be any problem getting to the 650 you want. You could even go with the GT-67 and save a few bucks.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:38 PM
Launching!

Will the Gt67 support at least 700 Hp? 650 will suffice, but i would like to have a little extra left over in the turbo. How many lbs do you think is needed for the gt67 to reach my 650rwhp goal? Ide prefer the t67 over the t76 due to spool time,the smaller one should produce a full 15psi around 4k i think. Thats provided i need 15psi to reach 650Rwhp.
At those HP/boost numbers with my fuel/tuning setup, how mandatory is the alky injection at that point? I will be using a front mount intercooler, will the alky injection still be needed? Will it add some power if used even though my setup may not require it? thanks
-james
Old 09-29-2004, 02:54 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I think it's entirely possible due to the simple fact that as long as you're seeing the same PSI it doesn't matter which kit is producing it given similar IATs.

I think you will be at the top end of the GT67 and may need a 70 but I am not 100% on that.

As for the methanol. It will help with fueling and keeping IATs down but I dont think you'll need it if your IC is good enough. At 13psi on my GT67 STS kit I only see 107deg IATs after a full WOT run in 68deg ambient temps. That's pretty low compared to the 200+deg IATs I was seeing before the FMIC.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:24 PM
Launching!

yeah i just finished reading through your threads with the IC install and results, thats kickass!!!

I think its going to be funny **** when people see my Rx7 with a front mount, most wont even think its ls1 eqiupped. They see front mount hear turbo, "has to be rotary"

Once i see what 5 liter eater does with his wild setup, that will determine if i go through with this. His goals and setup will basically be the same as what i am looking for. Ideally i would like to see 600-650 Rwhp begining of next year, then work my way up to 700wrhp and all that great Trq that comes with it
Old 09-29-2004, 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by v8-7
yeah i just finished reading through your threads with the IC install and results, thats kickass!!!

I think its going to be funny **** when people see my Rx7 with a front mount, most wont even think its ls1 eqiupped. They see front mount hear turbo, "has to be rotary"

Once i see what 5 liter eater does with his wild setup, that will determine if i go through with this. His goals and setup will basically be the same as what i am looking for. Ideally i would like to see 600-650 Rwhp begining of next year, then work my way up to 700wrhp and all that great Trq that comes with it
I gotta alot of people waiting on me Hopefully I wont dissappoint. Its all on Don Kinders neck (slowhawk) anyway, hes building and tuning it
Old 09-29-2004, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when do you think it will be up and running 5 liter?
Old 09-29-2004, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Blackbird
when do you think it will be up and running 5 liter?
racing last time with SC setup on the 8th of oct, then it depends when don wants to tear in. My guess is if the motor holds on the 8th and I make it home for saturday then knowing him he will start pulling it all part that day. Hopefully by 3rd week of oct Im up with dyno numbers and then some track time the 30th. Then order the 408
Old 09-29-2004, 06:45 PM
Launching!

Only thing that is posing as a large problem for me is the intake charge piping. I have to run in the trans tunnel because my car sits WAY lower than any F-body. Thats not the bad part... The worst is trying to route it above my subframe and underneath the passenger side exhaust manifold. That clearance is minimal and i absolutly cannot go underneath the subframe, it will be way too low.

Still not giving up, i can try stock headers or my shorties, maybe one will allow for extra room. -or- If all else fails...

5litereater - I'll buy your d1 kit without intercoolers Provided the STS works as planned for you. If you dont want to part out your kit, il buy with the intercoolers. That is, if you dont have a plan for the kit already, let me know a price and give me first dibs!!! I found a guy on rx7club.com that got a procharger to work with his Ls1/rx7. he doesnt speak much of it, but i guess the brackets and head unit all mounted up with no fitment issues. Only thing needed to be made custom was the IC and plumbing for it. let me know!
-james
Old 09-29-2004, 06:49 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Can you not flatten part of the intake pipe to gain clearnence? Kinda like the stock Y-pipe on an F-Body? I don't think it would cause much of an issue. Isn't the stock piping for a Vortech system flatten out near the TB?
Old 09-29-2004, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Only thing that is posing as a large problem for me is the intake charge piping. I have to run in the trans tunnel because my car sits WAY lower than any F-body. Thats not the bad part... The worst is trying to route it above my subframe and underneath the passenger side exhaust manifold. That clearance is minimal and i absolutly cannot go underneath the subframe, it will be way too low.

Still not giving up, i can try stock headers or my shorties, maybe one will allow for extra room. -or- If all else fails...

5litereater - I'll buy your d1 kit without intercoolers Provided the STS works as planned for you. If you dont want to part out your kit, il buy with the intercoolers. That is, if you dont have a plan for the kit already, let me know a price and give me first dibs!!! I found a guy on rx7club.com that got a procharger to work with his Ls1/rx7. he doesnt speak much of it, but i guess the brackets and head unit all mounted up with no fitment issues. Only thing needed to be made custom was the IC and plumbing for it. let me know!
-james
Ok you got first dibs but I will be selling it as a whole with the twin intercoolers as I have no use for them otherwise. Its a d1 kit with 8 rib upgrade and the upgraded ATI race ready BOV, also got a 4.0 and a 4.25 pulley, some new belts and a few other goodies laying around. Kit is about 5 months old. We can discuss price when the time comes. I will know in about 2 weeks for you.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:05 PM
10 Second Club

V8-7 try using oval piping for your tight spots. It will flow the same amount of air with no lose of power. I'm doing a 402 with either 6.0 litre heads or afr 225 (when they come out) over the winter. My goal is 650-700 rwhp through a STS kit. I'll be installing a frount mount and hope to do all this through a T-70 turbo. My only concern with the setup is The stock computer. I'm not sure if the ls1 edit will work at those horsepower numbers. I may have to go with a Fast system or Big Stuff 3. I'll keep everyone informed of my progress.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GONEB4U
V8-7 try using oval piping for your tight spots. It will flow the same amount of air with no lose of power. I'm doing a 402 with either 6.0 litre heads or afr 225 (when they come out) over the winter. My goal is 650-700 rwhp through a STS kit. I'll be installing a frount mount and hope to do all this through a T-70 turbo. My only concern with the setup is The stock computer. I'm not sure if the ls1 edit will work at those horsepower numbers. I may have to go with a Fast system or Big Stuff 3. I'll keep everyone informed of my progress.
The stock computer will hold 800- 900 RWHP with some tricky tuning
Old 09-29-2004, 11:00 PM
Tenured Member

We are getting there, and also playing with a FMIC very soon. Our last dyno numbers are below with a GT67 on the LS1, and since there has been pleanty of tunning
Old 09-29-2004, 11:16 PM
10 Second Club

I know 800-900 hp is doable with a supercharger because the hp is linear. Boost on a supercharger is all rpm related but Turbo boost is not as constant and might be harder to tune. I'm afraid that the the stock computer will not be able to compensate well enough for the turbo at high hp.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:19 AM
TECH Regular

-james
I'm a bit confused as to where there's enough room to build a STS style setup for your 7. If there's enough room, the intake and exhaust could run side by side under the drive shaft and torque arm. Your exhaust will heat your intake. The turbo and wastegate will have to be mounted where the stock muffler is. Don't forget about trying to squeeze a driveshaft loop in there too. I guess anything is possible.

Here are a couple pictures for refference. The pictures project that there is more room that really exists.

Being as you have to fab a turbo kit, why don't you build a more convential setup that will be more efficient? The only advantage I can see with a STS kit is that it may leave more room for A/C and have power steering. Otherwise, the 1100 rpm power band that drops off at 5200 shown recently would be a big problem in a 3rd gen rx7 with limited gearing
Old 09-30-2004, 08:24 AM
TECH Regular

Also, my rear transmission tunnel braces aren't in place for those pics. They need to be used or you could fab something else I imagine. They barely clear the drive shaft and exhaust.

Quick Reply: STS kit, forged engine, 15psi/600rwhp attainable???