Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Blue Smoke, Cold Startup, Lasts 10 minutes

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 12:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Blue Smoke, Cold Startup, Lasts 10 minutes

OK, I had posted this in internal a week or so ago, and came to the conclusion that it was valve seals.

If the car sits overnite it's quite apparent. Start the car up, good for about 20-30 seconds, then a fair bit of blue smoke. If I start driving it right away it clears up pretty quickly, at just idle it will take 10 minutes to clear up. Smokes more on decel. After driving it for a few minutes it's all gone, no hint of smoke.

Replaced the valve seals, it's still smoking, but it appears to be less. NOW I'm getting a slow leak out of the turbocharger on the passenger side. I will get a closer look at it tonite to see where it's coming from, but my suspicion is turbo seal as it's getting through the exhaust.

My question is . . . if it IS a turbo seal, can the car still be driven? Will it hurt anything being a slow leak? I have about 600 miles on the new setup and was planning to dyno it this weekend, and possibly take it to the track ( just on radials ).

What do you think?

- Dug
Old 02-07-2005, 02:04 PM
10 Second Club

i wouldn't take it out till you figure out what it is. a bad seal can cause the turbo to seize if not properly lubricated. I'm sure it can be driven but I would be very mindful of what's going on and not drive it too far from home.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

That doesnt sound like seals to me, valve seals is a puff a blue smoke immediately after startup. Sounds like you have an intake leak or or valve guide wear, both of which are much more likely than a turbo seal.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

This is somewhat of a common problem with the Incon kit. The passenger side turbo is the lowest point in the oiling system. The oil drains down and fills the lines and turbo. On start up try making it a practice to key on for 15 seconds to scavenge the oil. There is also a check valve on the oil T fitting near the filter. I had one of these stick open on me, which lets a lot of oil continue to fill into the pressure line after you shut the car off. Might want to check that.
I wouldn't let it keep you from taking it to the track. It didn't me.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks a lot Mike! Where is the checkvalve, is it actually in the 'T'?

Also . . . one other thing I changed was to hook up the scavenge pump to the fuel pump relay, so it only runs for about 3 seconds and then off, unlike the initial install where it always ran when the key was on. Do you think that could cause a problem? My buddy is convinced the seals are shot, I keep telling him that people always jump to that conclusion and it's just a hint that something else is wrong. I don't want to pull it off, send it in for seals, and then have the same problem!

- Dug
Old 02-08-2005, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

It is the vertical piece that the actual "T" fitting screws into.
The fuel pump/relay hookup is good for not having to disconnect the oil pump if your tuning or what not. But don't believe it gives the passenger side enough time to scavenge before the oil pressure is there. I'd explore all these options before pulling the turbo off.

Quick Reply: Blue Smoke, Cold Startup, Lasts 10 minutes