Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Ported heads for FI?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 11:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ported heads for FI?

Is it worth the effort to port 6L heads for use with FI? Will it afford any noticable gain? Also, is it more important for FI to port the intake or exhaust ports, or is it equally as important to do both?
Old 02-28-2005, 06:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EightBallWS6
Is it worth the effort to port 6L heads for use with FI? Will it afford any noticable gain? Also, is it more important for FI to port the intake or exhaust ports, or is it equally as important to do both?
x2 on this question i would like to know to!
Old 02-28-2005, 01:21 PM
TECH Regular

T T T
Old 02-28-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Inquiring Minds Need Help!
Old 02-28-2005, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

assumption here...

you want better flowing heads (on a turbo car) on the exahust side, because the intake side is already being forced in, you need the exahust to spool the turbo. thus wanting a high velocity high flow exahust. OF COURSE you want a good flowing intake, im just saying if given the choice, id choose exahust on the common sense grounds.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine were Z06 blanks that were ported and chambers were set to 72cc.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

I don't think it matters as much as a N/A car, but I could be wrong. My car has stock ported heads.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am having Erik at HPE port my stock 6L heads. I would imagine anything around 72cc would suffice but it probably depends on your power levels. I am planning to peak at 1200 + fwhp so i need some really good flowing heads. If i were only going for 700 fwhp i don't think i would necessarilly need to port the heads. If i remember correctly Erik didn't think i needed a bigger valve but i could be mistaken. I will find out more when i talk to him again.

Greg
Old 02-28-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you can afford it, do it.
Also a great way to increase your CC size to lower compression.
Try to shoot for more exhaust flow bias.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Porting your heads on a FI setup is worth it if you are trying to make as much power as possible on pump gas, are limited by a high compression setup, or not intercooled.

The only thing that ported heads will do to a FI is lower the amount of boost it takes to reach your target HP.

Just as an example: Instead of taking 10 psi to make 500 HP you now only require 8 psi to make 500 HP.

If you have room to grow on your boost, up the boost first. This is always loads cheaper than porting the heads.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:22 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,090 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGo
Porting your heads on a FI setup is worth it if you are trying to make as much power as possible on pump gas, are limited by a high compression setup, or not intercooled.

The only thing that ported heads will do to a FI is lower the amount of boost it takes to reach your target HP.

Just as an example: Instead of taking 10 psi to make 500 HP you now only require 8 psi to make 500 HP.

If you have room to grow on your boost, up the boost first. This is always loads cheaper than porting the heads.
Nice concise answer. Big boost can = increased heat can = increased octane need to suppress detonation. After all what would stop you from slapping a big turbo setup on a car and just putting a ton of boost thru it.... something has to be a limiting factor. That 'something' is heat. Might be able to boost a stock engined M6 'camaro to 700rwhp with 15-18 psi, but you would need high octane to gas to get there. And most folks are limited in terms of the gas they can access.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:37 PM
Staging Lane

Boost is a by-product of backpressure. If you port both sides, open the exhaust system, and decrease this backpressure. You'll make more power with less boost (as previously mentioned). This will allow the engine to run less 'stressed' at 2-3 lbs less boost, or allow you to keep the same boost but make more power.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

good stuff guys, thanks for the replies...
Old 02-28-2005, 06:26 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Opening up the ports and opening up the chambers on boosted applications, as said before is key for detination resistance. That's why in ANY application, if you can run a flat top piston or an inverted dome (dish) you're better off. As far as turbo applications, if you are to port the cylinder heads, and open up the exhaust, you probably won't see any increase/decrease in the amount of boost, mainly because the extra exhaust flow to the turbine will compensate, just like a change in elevation conditions. In a supper charger application, if you keep the blower over drive the same, you will not see any increase in boost and more than likely a decrease because you have decreased the resistance in the airflow. Doesn't mean that you aren't flowing the same amount of CFM @ given overdrive, but it takes less boost pressure to get it there. An ATI with an 10# pulley on a stock long block with stock headers may see 9.5~10#s, but if you open up the chambers, slap headers and a free flowing exhaust on there, you might only see 5~6 lbs now with that same overdrive. Peak HP #s might go up but your air flow into the engine shouldn't theoretically change that much, since you aren't spinning the blower any harder than before.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

PSJ is right. If you port the heads, you will not need as much boost to run the same amount of power, BUT you will also require less octane to reach that since there will be less heat, and a lesser chance of detonation. If you want to run "said power number" on pump gas, you would have a much better chance of hitting it, and running that power level safely with ported heads verses a ristrictive, heat laden setup.

Quick Reply: Ported heads for FI?