Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Hey Kyle Pham install pics DAY 1.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Hey Kyle Pham install pics DAY 1.....

Well Kyle since you told me to start a new post for my own kit here it goes....meanie

Let me give a quick run down on the days events so far....
Started at 9:30 am. Had to remove my mac headers and y pipe from the car. That took about an hour and a half to remove all my a.i.r stuff and emissions stuff, and the mac's went back out the way they went in with lil difficulty.

Now that the old exhaust was off...let the Phamspeed turbo kit install begin...

Let me tell you, i've done too many sets of headers on these blasted cars of ours. My fingers, arms, hands etc...all bare the scars of these dreaded installs...most of which were done on LT1's Let me tell you the gear wrench is the greatest tool to have for these installs and is a must for any fourth gen tool box<---heed that advice if you don't have a set of metric and standard gear wrenches.../commerical.

The phamspeed headers ARE A FREAKIN BREEZE TO PUT IN PERIOD. No joke, the pass sided dropped in from the top, mind you I have my coil packs relocated to the cowl, and my EGR valve is also gone as is my A/C lol. But I swear they just dropped in, and in too fast as I almost dropped the passenger side through to the ground. I can see the passenger side going in from the bottom pretty easily too. All the header bolts were unrestricted and easy to get too. 10mm gear wrench breezed through, passenger side took all of 15 minutes to completely install.

Driver side header, now it took a lil longer to figure the best way to get this **** in, tried from the top...no dice too many fuel lines, wires..**** in the way. Tried from the bottom rear....nope couldn't angle it enough. Tried from the bottom front should have tried that first as it slipped right in, I had to pull a rubber PS line out of the way a hair but it went right into its new home. Total install time on the driver side ~25 minutes, but would have been less if I just tried it from the bottom front lol.

Now time for the bad news, yes there is always some bad news...........

I have a BMR tubular K member in my car.....This provides a ton of room when doing headers or engine work in general....BUT NO my BMR k member isn't playing well with my new passenger side phamspeed header. The K member sticks out too far where the turbo header flange is and will have to be whacked, clearanced adios'ed. So thats where i'm at right now. I stopped there and will continue tomorrow morning. Damn BMR k member.

Things left to do, "clearance" the K member to pieces
Drill and tap oil pan, turbo oil supply...starting a new post for that one
Put up heat shielding and making sure wires are safely out of the way.
Start mounting the FMIC, have to build a custom frame for it cuz sscam68 won't give me his
Wait for turbo

OK OK here are pics, Phamspeed day 1.
Pass side. Plenty of room

Different angle, plenty of room

DAMMIT, BMR K MEMBER IS IN THE WAY!!

Look at that room all the way back to the firewall.

Driver side...excuse the mess

Looking straight down, still a mess but you can see the spacing of things

Steering shaft clearance, does it look like a problem?

NICE! Ready for the turbo y pipe to be mounted...if it wasn't for that damn space issue with the kmember

Time to go take a shower, layed in a pool of sprite outside when thrashing around trying to make room between the k member and header kinda kicked my sprite over that was next to me and it spilled all over, I didn't even noticed I was laying in it until I got out from underneath the car...har har.
J
Old 03-12-2005, 05:24 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice...did you keep the AC or no?
Old 03-12-2005, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

AC what is that? My AC has been off the car for about 2 years now, I never used it and I needed some weight off the front end so laters AC.

If it was there you can see the big cavernous hole that it would be occupying on the passenger side. John@pham really did make this kit well.
J
Old 03-12-2005, 05:29 PM
TECH Regular

I wish I was have the same problems!! Good luck with the rest of the install. When do you think that it'll be ready?
Old 03-12-2005, 05:30 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

i saw that post post
Old 03-12-2005, 05:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks Silver,
Hey meow don't jinx me I'm shooting for next sunday, it would be sooner if I had my turbo right away...kinda in no rush to finish it cuz a lot depends on the turbo right now. IC pipe routing being the major one.
J
Old 03-12-2005, 05:35 PM
TECH Regular

Those pics are so sick!!! Scrolling threw them makes me feel funny
Old 03-12-2005, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

GOOD! I'm glad the lighting was good outside. Awesome weather today..70+ degrees outside and not a cloud in the sky...spring time is here.
If there is any shots you want me to take let me know, i'll have em posted right away.
J
Old 03-12-2005, 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Looking good Jer
Old 03-12-2005, 06:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks Bos, I'm modifying a flange clamp right now to get some more clearance around the stupid k member....any lil amount will help.

Another question for turbo peeps...COATINGS....Can I coat the y to the turbo with POR20? Its good up to 1400degs. http://www.por15.com/product.asp?productid=128
It can be sprayed or brushed on and I have a sprayer sitting around:idea:

J
Old 03-12-2005, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

So let me get this striaght. You ran a new best already this year at the track, took off the blower, went turbo, and will having it running again in just 2 weeks!? 2005 is looking good for you.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yep, so far its been really good. Hopefully the timeframe holds. It should if the turbo makes it here in time. I'll be logging and tuning all week once its complete, to get me running decent...I hope.
Also have to mess with the boost controller thing?? It looks straight foward but a lil complicated.
J

Last edited by frcefed98; 03-14-2005 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

frcefed98 great pics and detail. I wanna see the oil line install and ic pipes when it's done. That will make it a lot easier for me when it's my turn to put stuff on. Did you get the piece that connects to the turbos outlet(ic piping)? It's a clamp like the hot parts I think.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cool I'm glad it'll help. I'll definetly get pics of the oil line install....I think that really needs to be documented. Are you talking about the down pipe? It has about ahhh 5inch opening and looks funnel shaped down to 3 inches? If so yep. But I need the turbo to see where that bit o' pipe goes to...If I had the turbo I atleast could have had the downpipe hooked into the exhaust...still have some SS 45's and straights from the last project.

The rest of the IC piping will be here on wednesday. So pics will be up then...if the turbo is here by then
J
Old 03-12-2005, 09:37 PM
10 Second Club

do you think there would have been any problems if you kept the ac? The headers look quality. Maybe one day for the hell of it I'll switch to turbo but i gotta be able to keep all my creature comforts.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:05 PM
7 Second Club

Another Blower Brother gone! Looks good J, I have been pretty impressed with the Phamspeed info so far. I might look to them for some reversed headers for the race car someday!

When are you going to let me redo those valve covers?

I'm thinking "TURBOCHARGED LS1" would look pretty good.

Anyway, good luck...and I picked up my motor from W2W today so I may need some pics hosted within a few days to show it off mocked up in the garage.

Mark

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Cool I'm glad it'll help. I'll definetly get pics of the oil line install....I think that really needs to be documented. Are you talking about the down pipe? It has about ahhh 5inch opening and looks funnel shaped down to 3 inches? If so yep. But I need the turbo to see where that bit o' pipe goes to...If I had the turbo I atleast could have had the downpipe hooked into the exhaust...still have some SS 45's and straights from the last project.

The rest of the IC piping will be here on wednesday. So pics will be up then...if the turbo is here by then
J
Old 03-12-2005, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Great pics! That Phamspeed kit looks to be of great quality! Good luck on your two weeks!
Old 03-12-2005, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by frcefed98

J
No Imean the ic pipe that comes off the turbo. Hard to see it on that pic. If you need a better one I can take it for you to see what I mean. You can't just use a coupling you have to use some kind of clamp.
Attached Thumbnails Hey Kyle Pham install pics DAY 1.....-turbo.jpg  
Old 03-12-2005, 11:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ha ha
Kyle
Old 03-13-2005, 12:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Get SOM, A/C would be no problem with this kit. Easily has enough room, Phamspeed designed it so all that stuff would be kept, the only thing that has to be relocated is the alternator

Mark, yep I'll miss my D1, it was a blast but couldn't give me that push into the 10's that I needed unless all conditions were perfect around here, weather, track and car...and that never happens. So in with the turbo This kit is all awesome quality.
I know the covers need touching up, but next is the car....it needs some TLC on the ol body.

Hellraiser....I see, really didn't know what you were talking about since I don't have a turbo to look at. That end is 4.213 inches wide and looks to be made for a v band clamp. I can't find a v-band clamp that particular size..the closest one is 4.00 and cost like 40 bucks heres the link http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/me...egory_Code=CLA. Do you think you can get a 4 inch silicone connector over it with some prying and pulling? I'd say ask Phamspeed but...
I'm with you on finding stuff to fit it, i've been searching places for the 5 inch opening to that beast....gotta get an airfilter on there somehow I'll hit up the local semi/diesel place to see what they have in that dept.

I'm in the dark with you right now bro, but I'll get it figured out and I'll keep you posted.
J

Quick Reply: Hey Kyle Pham install pics DAY 1.....