Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

FMIC or meth water for STS turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 02:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default FMIC or meth water for STS turbo?

I'm trying to decide whether I want to do a FMIC or meth/water injection for my STS turbo. I plan on turning up the boost to whatever I can with either kit. I wouldn't mind doing both at this point and just turning the boost way up, but I'm on a stock bottom end and don't know if it could take the resulting power increase.

Two questions
  1. What kind of power increases have people experienced with meth/water injection? Dyno #'s, track time's, or just SOP feeling.
  2. What kind of power increases have you received from FMIC?
Also what psi were you running at and what other mods do/did you have?
Old 07-22-2005, 12:08 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^BUMP^^

.....'cause I want to know the same things....
Old 07-22-2005, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd go FMIC, cause it's something that can't fail. Your meth pump stopps working or your low level light in your res stops working and your engine could go bye bye. You don't have to refill an FMIC, it's always there, always working.

Mike
Old 07-22-2005, 12:15 PM
TECH Resident

I'm doing both.

But not an STS kit
Old 07-22-2005, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

I did the snow water/meth on my car I want a fmic in the future but the water/meth was cheaper and easyer to install.im at 8-9psi right now and love the water/meth works awsome feels like an instant 50-75 hp and im not tuned for it yet .I also like that the meth acts like extra fuel so my afr is much safer than before.im tuned for 6psi when I went to 8psi it was a little lean for me.slightly over 12.1 with the water/meth im at 11.5 -11.3.as for the pump failing the water/meth turns on at 4psi and I have a light the goes on. if say my pump fails my light wont go on and I just let off no harm.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

boosted you know the water/meth doesnt add power alone right?

i guess your car must have been tuned poorly and knocking and pulling alot of timing and now when you run the meth it's not pulling timing thus you feel like it has more power.

just want to make sure people know just simply adding meth with no other changes will not make more power in fact typically you would lose power due to running that much richer and taking up volume in the cylinder with meth instead of air.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by buschman
I'd go FMIC, cause it's something that can't fail. Your meth pump stopps working or your low level light in your res stops working and your engine could go bye bye. You don't have to refill an FMIC, it's always there, always working.

Mike
Yea, I'm kinda leaning that way just because it will always be there lowering the intake temp.
Originally Posted by KraZy
I'm doing both.
Do you know what kind of power you're going to be at after doing both? I will gladly do both because of the cheapness of the methanol kit, but I'm not ready to plunk down the change to build the engine to handle the power output. Also what PSI are you going to be pushing and are you on a stock motor?
Old 07-22-2005, 01:20 PM
TECH Resident

I am just adding methanol to keep the car safer....still going to be running the stock block for a year or so.

I am wanting to run 8-10lbs.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Blackbird
boosted you know the water/meth doesnt add power alone right?

i guess your car must have been tuned poorly and knocking and pulling alot of timing and now when you run the meth it's not pulling timing thus you feel like it has more power.

just want to make sure people know just simply adding meth with no other changes will not make more power in fact typically you would lose power due to running that much richer and taking up volume in the cylinder with meth instead of air.
It sounded as though he was able to safely turn up the boost to 9psi with the meth rather than having 6psi without, and that's why the xtra power. It's the 2 steps forward 1 step back approach.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

I love Meth, Meth is my friend.

I can cruise at 5 PSI for my daily 90 mile commute and get great gas mileage. Then when I want to go really fast I just use Methanol to take care of everything I need to run 9 PSI. Another thing, with 5.5 PSI on the stock STS kit your intake temps are 20 degrees above ambient why lose 1 pound of boost through the intercooler if you don't need to? Intercoolers are awesome for high boost but why create more lag if you don't need to?

The problem with an intercooler is that most guys don't want to run 8-10 PSI on the stock motor all the time so they end up running way to rich at a lower boost setting.

The STS Methanol kit has a LED that lights up when the Meth pressure drops so if you are running low or your pump dies then you aren't screwed.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bradyb
I love Meth, Meth is my friend.

I can cruise at 5 PSI for my daily 90 mile commute and get great gas mileage. Then when I want to go really fast I just use Methanol to take care of everything I need to run 9 PSI. Another thing, with 5.5 PSI on the stock STS kit your intake temps are 20 degrees above ambient why lose 1 pound of boost through the intercooler if you don't need to? Intercoolers are awesome for high boost but why create more lag if you don't need to?

The problem with an intercooler is that most guys don't want to run 8-10 PSI on the stock motor all the time so they end up running way to rich at a lower boost setting.

The STS Methanol kit has a LED that lights up when the Meth pressure drops so if you are running low or your pump dies then you aren't screwed.
What kind of power output are you running with 9psi and Meth? I noticed in your sig that you 420HP on 5psi.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

I'm either floating my valves or maxing out the turbo with 485 RWHP@5,000RPM and 560 pounds of torque@3500 RPMs at 8.5 PSI. I have the base turbo with the smaller 81 housing. A GT67 at 8-9 PSI would help me pick up another 20 horsepower on my car but I love the super fast spool time of the 60-1.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boosted99camaro
I did the snow water/meth on my car I want a fmic in the future but the water/meth was cheaper and easyer to install.im at 8-9psi right now and love the water/meth works awsome feels like an instant 50-75 hp and im not tuned for it yet .I also like that the meth acts like extra fuel so my afr is much safer than before.im tuned for 6psi when I went to 8psi it was a little lean for me.slightly over 12.1 with the water/meth im at 11.5 -11.3.as for the pump failing the water/meth turns on at 4psi and I have a light the goes on. if say my pump fails my light wont go on and I just let off no harm.

If you used to run 6psi with no FMIC or meth why turn it on @ 4 ? More timing?

With it coming on at 4, and not beating it up all the time, how long is a washer tank lasting?

Are there water systems that are progressively introduced?
Old 07-22-2005, 06:08 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like intercooler's.You can run 10lbs all the time and never worry about light's going out
Old 07-24-2005, 01:49 AM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

meth rocks! i have both but if i had to just pick one it would be a meth kit.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Frost
If you used to run 6psi with no FMIC or meth why turn it on @ 4 ? More timing?

With it coming on at 4, and not beating it up all the time, how long is a washer tank lasting?

Are there water systems that are progressively introduced?
I used to have it come on at 6-7# but it feels better with it on a 4#as long as you dont create a missfire your good to go plus in the summer weather and being humid it helps with that.
and yes they make progressive kits that come on more with more rpm.
i usually refill my tank once a week but check it periodicly.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is the STS methanol kit made by Squires Turbo Systems? I looked on thier site and dont see anything about a methanol injection kit. Also, who do you think makes the best injection kit out there? I have a '95 formula w/ a vortech t-trim and doing a fmic seems more difficult to do on my car than on an ls1 f-body. So, Im thinking this methanol injection might be a good idea for me. Also, how much boost can you safely run with these kits? I plan on running about 10-12#.

TIA,

Eric
Old 07-25-2005, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

www.snowperformance.net
www.coolingmist.com
www.devilsownonline.com

All look nice, I'm either going with the coolingmist two stage 150 psi set up or the devils own set up with its cool lil meth to boost adder box....forgot the technical name for it, but lack the funds right now
Oh yeah email the dude at cooling mist, he'll get back to you right away and answer whatever question you have.

WE can get a FMIC in there, I can do anything....we have a sawzall, a welder and a HAMMER
J
Old 07-25-2005, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

STS has a meth kit. Click on products, LS1 Fbody, options/accessories, scrol down.

Methanol isn’t useful until about 7 PSI so don’t run it below that level. It drops the manifold pressure a bit which is easier on the motor but it needs about 7 PSI to make up for its self with the added octane and temperature drop. The STS controller will come on at about 4 PSI but it doesn’t start spraying until about 7 PSI
Old 07-25-2005, 05:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.alkycontrol.com/ makes a plug and play kit for the LT1 cars.

Quick Reply: FMIC or meth water for STS turbo?