Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

vortech help

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default vortech help

I have a 2002 trans am that I bought with a vortech supercharger on it with charge cooler already installed. I took it to a local speed shop and was told the highest boost it made was 5 pounds. Does that sound right? I am not a mechanic by no means so any help will be great. The car has 10,000 miles on it headers,borla exh, hi flo cats if any of that matters. I am really worried about hurting the motor since I do not have the original programing. Should I buy the diablo setup? And what should I do to get some boost out of this to compare to the turbos like sts power? sorry so long of a post im new to this thanks
Old 07-20-2005, 09:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vortech rates that kit with stock manifolds at 9PSI. Having the longtubes should drop the PSI but retain the power (this is a good thing). You shouldn't worry about how many PSI you are seeing but more so how much HP you are making and the speed you are spinning the blower to. I used to own the kit you are talking about but never installed it due to the small head unit. The vortech g trims are good for high 500ish RWHP (i think).

Greg
Old 07-20-2005, 09:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

So should it drop it down to 5 pounds? from 9? and Should I buy a pully to up the boost or leave it alone? I am really confused about this because I dont feel the boost like in a turbo car or like even in my wifes saturn ion redline. It feels like a constant pull through the rpms , no change. thanks for the help
Old 07-20-2005, 09:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw 6-7 lbs. stock (not the nine claimed). I know I'm not the only one. I would put a 2.75 pulley on it and have it dyno tuned.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

So Diablo tune or something else. And dyno. I hope it at least hits 450 hp.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by todd4168
So should it drop it down to 5 pounds? from 9? and Should I buy a pully to up the boost or leave it alone? I am really confused about this because I dont feel the boost like in a turbo car or like even in my wifes saturn ion redline. It feels like a constant pull through the rpms , no change. thanks for the help
You should run whatever PSI is necessary for your power goals/requirements. If 5 PSI gives you 400rwhp and that's what you want then just leave it. If pullies haven't been changed you should dyno tune it for that and then determine if you need more or less. The ion uses a roots type blower. Right? If that's the case then they make higher boost at low RPMs compared to a centrifugal blower would. The cent. blow is dependent upon RPM for how much boost you make. I honestly would not invest money into a handheld tuner as the amount of changes you can make are just soo elementary compared to a full PCM editing program(ls1edit, hptuners, EFI live). Dyno tuning your setup with a wideband O2 would probably be the best way to get the most power out of your car safely.

Greg
Old 07-21-2005, 06:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks
Old 07-21-2005, 06:24 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Just a little clarification you don't know what else was done to the car right? I would guess it has some kind of tune in it right now. I would have it dyno tuned with a wide band and see what you are makeing right now and how safe the tune is etc... There is a lot that can be done with these kits and a smaller pulley is just the first step. I don't know where you are located , but do some research and see who the nearest person to you that specializes in FI LS1 cars. Call get some priceing info and make an appointment when you have the money etc... And they have a very smooth feeling powerband not peaky atleast in a mild modded form.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:04 AM
10 Second Club

do not go down to a 2.75 pulley. Too many factors that we don't know of yet. On a stock kit my car would instantly pull 5 then creep to 7 right at 6,000 rpm and then shift.

Do not use the diablo. Take it to someone who knows how to tune forced induction cars with ls1 edit.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am trying to find someone close to nashville tn, It has bmr suspension, borla exhaust, hi flo cats, headers, and the vortech with cooler. I also had a mcleod clutch,pressure plate and the rest put in recently with a pro 5.0 shifter. I just get really dissapointed when I take my car somewhere and it stays for 2 weeks nothing gets fixed or changed and I still get a bill. Wish there was someone around here that knew what they were doing. The shops around here say they are using diablo instead of ls1 edit now cause its better? see what I mean.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:44 PM
10 Second Club

try this https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsors.php

there is a member named kp on the board, he's in Tennessee and may be able to help you.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

no luck. These guys here want me to sell my vortech and buy their sts kit. Really hate to change all that out and buy something else. I guess Im just going to have to keep looking for a tuner for ls1s close to nashville, I would even drive a couple hundred miles for a good one.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:50 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

no luck. These guys here want me to sell my vortech and buy their sts kit. Really hate to change all that out and buy something else. I guess Im just going to have to keep looking for a tuner for ls1s close to nashville, I would even drive a couple hundred miles for a good one.
Hey Todd if you want to send it to Texas I can take care of it for you real quick and it will be right. If they are telling you that Diablo is better than Edit that is cause they don't know how to use it LOL! If you want to talk over the phone let me know I'll help you out I am pretty famililar with these kits and these cars for sure. Don't give up on your setup yet it is a good kit makes good power with reliability.(713)302-0737.
Jeff
Old 07-21-2005, 06:24 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Hey Todd if you want to send it to Texas I can take care of it for you real quick and it will be right. If they are telling you that Diablo is better than Edit that is cause they don't know how to use it LOL! If you want to talk over the phone let me know I'll help you out I am pretty famililar with these kits and these cars for sure. Don't give up on your setup yet it is a good kit makes good power with reliability.(713)302-0737.
Jeff
LOL This guy will steal your parts. Dont let him touch your car. I wouldnt let him touch mine with a 10 foot pole Jeff really knows his stuff man. Give him a call he will get you going in the right direction. Jeff I think Im going to just wait it out. But talk to G force about the tune Saw the ZO6 procharger video
Old 07-21-2005, 07:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks will call tonight.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

oh yeah 12 bolt rearend.I will take pics tommorow to post for all to see. still new to this computer stuff.The car came from salt lake city all fixed up like this already. The guy that owned it is supposley in prison and his parents wont tell me anything about where the car was worked on all they would say is that he bought it new for 30 and then dumped 20 more into it. When I got it, it only had 6000 miles now its got 10500. not bad for an 02. Just want to get it right.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:34 PM
10 Second Club

how much did you get it for?
Old 07-21-2005, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

22,000 and got and 04 rx8 paid off I owed 28,000 on it.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:28 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

LOL This guy will steal your parts. Dont let him touch your car. I wouldnt let him touch mine with a 10 foot pole Jeff really knows his stuff man. Give him a call he will get you going in the right direction. Jeff I think Im going to just wait it out. But talk to G force about the tune Saw the ZO6 procharger video
Yeah I figured you would wait I mean you have a few other things to purchase so it shouldn't be a big deal. Just let me know when your ready and I will get you set up for a tune.

oh yeah 12 bolt rearend.I will take pics tommorow to post for all to see. still new to this computer stuff.The car came from salt lake city all fixed up like this already. The guy that owned it is supposley in prison and his parents wont tell me anything about where the car was worked on all they would say is that he bought it new for 30 and then dumped 20 more into it. When I got it, it only had 6000 miles now its got 10500. not bad for an 02. Just want to get it right.
Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. hey Just give me a ring if you want.
Jeff
Old 07-22-2005, 12:32 AM
11 Second Club

Inspector12 is your car a 6spd or auto?

Quick Reply: vortech help