Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Help with running A/C lines around my turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with running A/C lines around my turbo

So I'm desperately trying to cram my A/C back in the car and I ran into a slight problem:

The line that runs up in front of the engine, how much heat can it withstand? It comes really close to the inlet flange of the turbo's hot side almost to the point of outright laying on it. There's no chance that it wouldn't touch it during normal driving conditions. Can I wrap the line in anything that can keep it from melting through and spilling refrigerant everywhere, or will it be ok?

I REALLY don't want to have to take all the A/C stuff out again, it was a pain enough to get it back in
Old 07-26-2005, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Is there any way to bracket the line to pull it even 1/2" or more away from the flange? If you can do that, and add some heat wrap to it you should be in good shape. Even better would be to build a metal heat shield to go between the turbo and the line, but you'll still need air space on each side.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So you think if I got it so that it wasn't laying constantly on the flange and gave it some heat wrap it would be ok? That'll probably be what I do for the time being, but I like the idea of the metal heat shield too, I will probably start fabbing one of those up soon as well. What't the best material to use for that (i.e. steel, aluminum, etc)?

Also, do turbo blankets cover the inlet flange, or just the housing? I cant tell from this pic:

http://www.forcedinductions.com/product7.htm
Old 07-27-2005, 09:25 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

What kit do you have or do you have a custom setup? Did you relocate the compressor or something?
Old 07-27-2005, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This is a custom setup. Turbo sits right in front of the crank pulley, more or less. I didn't relocate any accessories.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have any pics? They would probably help. I would go as far as considering a custom A/C line. Find the right shop to make one and you're set OR start looking for an OEM solution off of a different GM vehicle that might work... like a longer line you can route differently.

Originally Posted by EightBallTTA
This is a custom setup. Turbo sits right in front of the crank pulley, more or less. I didn't relocate any accessories.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:19 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

With these custom setups floating around, I love to see the pics (if you have any or want to share) as I am continously planning mine.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Strangely enough, my setup came out exactly the same as the Phamspeed budget kit. Somehow I think they got secret pics of it and decided to sell it.

I bent the hard line just enough to get the rubber hose slightly away from the flange, but it still rests on the beginning of the downpipe. It comes between the DP and the water pump pulley. Will wrapping it with heat wrap protect it from the DP?How about wrapping it in that foil-like stuff that you wrap around electical wires to protect them from long tubes?
Old 07-27-2005, 03:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would reroute the A/C lines if you want your A/C to work well.

Strangely enough, my setup came out exactly the same as the Phamspeed budget kit. Somehow I think they got secret pics of it and decided to sell it.

I bent the hard line just enough to get the rubber hose slightly away from the flange, but it still rests on the beginning of the downpipe. It comes between the DP and the water pump pulley. Will wrapping it with heat wrap protect it from the DP?How about wrapping it in that foil-like stuff that you wrap around electical wires to protect them from long tubes?
Old 07-27-2005, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FastKat
I would reroute the A/C lines if you want your A/C to work well.
Good point, and that's exactly why I made this thread . Is my only option to bring it to someone and have them make me a custom line, or can I bend the hard line in the opposite direction and bring it up the passenger side of the radiator? It seems feasible, but I don't want to break anything in the process...
Old 07-27-2005, 04:31 PM
9 Second Club

bend the line as much as you can without pinching it.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:01 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

www.vintageair.com

AC for everything, but I don't know their prices on stuff. I'm sure they can get you any size they need though.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright, I was able to bend my lines around without touching the turbo, however the line that goes up to the canister is now leaning on the back side of the radiator. The hose has a rubber sheathing around the part that touches the radiator, is this enough protection? I know the radiator won't get anywhere near as hot as the turbine housing of the turbo, but I wanted to check with some people in the know here before I go ahead and melt my A/C lines...

Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Help with running A/C lines around my turbo