Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

alcohol injection and timing

Old 08-09-2005, 03:33 AM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default alcohol injection and timing

how much timing can i add with alcohol injection on a boosted motor? is there a correlation between the amount of alcohol and timing increase?
and what hp increase sould i expect from running alcohol alone with out increasing the timing?

and before you say why don't you raise the boost , i don't want to run more boost cause i already spray a 200 shot on to of the 16 psi i have.

thanks in advance.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, if ya dont know, alky is nore a power adder if ya dont tune for it. It is a fuel so when ya jsut dump more fucl in it doenst go faster it goes slower. So ya have to lean it out a little. You really wont gain a ton of powe from alky and tune alone. Unless ya count addin timin in there. With alky and timin you cna add a ton of power. Easily 100. Ill be gainin about that when i go from teh 13* its at now to about 23-25* im gonan go to when i tune it.
I dont kwno much about nitous and boost and alky. That is a **** load of variables. Makes t all alot harder.
IF it were me id lose the nitrous, save for a little in the start to get it spoolin, and add alky and timin and fuel and boost. Lol. GL man

John
Old 08-09-2005, 03:47 AM
8 Second Club

thanks for the quick reply, i should of elaborated on the alky alone part; i meant how much of an increase in power will i see from the colder intake charge?

so you think an increase of 10* is possible?
Old 08-09-2005, 03:49 AM
8 Second Club

plus, i can't loose the nitrous, i'm hooked!
Old 08-09-2005, 03:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I dont know were your timin is currently, but i know mine is nto rearly as high as it could be even without alky. Parish is a big time truck guy that we lost cause they moved teh truck section to another page but he would have loved to tell ya about the benifits. He says that there is no amt of KR that cant be fixed with alky. I am no tuner so dont go doin anything till ya talk to someone that is as you have nitrous boost and now alky. Sounds crazy lol. GL

John
Old 08-09-2005, 04:11 AM
8 Second Club

i heard the same thing about "killing KR" with alky. lol

thats why i got the alky kit: i'm planning on running the alcohol kit with the sam 200 shot as before and the same boost level as before ( trying to avoid lifting the heads) but crank up the timing as much as i could. ( i already bought the big alky tank in anticipation of running tons of alky)

sure hope parish could chime in.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the road I went from 17* to 23* no KR.
On the dyno...surprise! Absolutely no power increase.
The car was just happy with 17*.
We messed with the AFR - same power.
I just picked up 30RWHP because of the cooler charge air (100 F less or so).
But incresing timing was for nothing.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:57 AM
Turbo Addict

Same thing here I am running about 11-13 degrees through tq peak and 16 up top… with the meth… I also run my afr waaaay rich, when the pump comes on it dips well into the 9:1's if not lower… and never going about 11.0 up top. I can feel the meth come on as the car seems to pick up power… almost like a mini nitrous shot…. I also never get any bogging with it up wide-open.
Wonder if I should trade this SMC kit in for an alky control set-up with a bigger pump?
Old 08-09-2005, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

I believe that EVERYONE is using a SureFlo pump; pressure can be dialed up. Also, you can add a larger nozzle, or go 2-stage (activating a 2nd nozzle @ a separate boost point).

On my LS2GTO w/ STS [GT67] I am using a digital controller from 'Devil's Own' to control a single 15gph spray nozzle. Also have FMIC, and going to stay around 10psi boost. This controller is quite sophisticated as it uses a microprocessor [= tiny size] and controls onset of injection [__ psi] and onset of MAX injection [__psi] and simply ramps up between the two. Sophisticated progressive system. He already has a kit for the F-bodies. This will be the first application of this system on a GTO.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:27 AM
Turbo Addict

I am using the SMC kit and wondering how much more i can get out of this before i need to upgrade... i can't get my car to bog now, i am running a voltage blaster, the 15gph nozzle and the pump speed all of the way up with straight meth coming on at 4psi.
I was going to add a second nozzle but i don't think i will have enough pressure then. My thoughts were to use the stock washer tank with the alky control components..... so anyone want a SMC kit for a decent deal?
Old 08-10-2005, 06:47 AM
8 Second Club

I have the snow performance alky kit with the progressive boost controller on order, i'm hoping that the progressive setup won't have the dip in power when the system engages like in tici's case.

in regards to tici's results, and with all due respect to your findings tici, but does anyone think that using alcohol instead of ethanol.could gain you better results when raising the timing?

and tci, i thought that people in california had it bad when it came to modding! no offense but it sucks where you live!! ( please read his thread about actually decreasing hp on a boosted car!)
Old 08-10-2005, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1dirtyZ
in regards to tici's results, and with all due respect to your findings tici, but does anyone think that using alcohol instead of ethanol.could gain you better results when raising the timing?

and tci, i thought that people in california had it bad when it came to modding! no offense but it sucks where you live!! ( please read his thread about actually decreasing hp on a boosted car!)
Haha! every place sucks for a different reason, but you are right: carwise we suck big time! OK if I drive 1 houre I'm in Germany: there are still many free highways (Autobahn)

I use ethanol because it's more avaible than methanol (I just pick it up in the company's lab ) I also belive that for my level of boost it doens't really matter.

I run a gear pump with a magnetic coupling and an adjustable pressure regulator. An overkill for sure but I paid it only $100. It's set at 100 PSI and I use a 6 GPH nozzle. I use 50% ethanol by volume + distilled water.
My first reason for WI was cooling and not killing KR. For that purpose 6GPH are more than OK.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:34 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

What size of hole has the 15gph nozzle ??

Or how do you convert gph to cc/min ?
Old 08-11-2005, 02:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Stevie,
Nozzles are rated for a certain flow at a certain pressure.
It's not just a straight hole, it has a particular shape to generate a spray cone.
Ask a local supplier for heating systems: the nozzles they use to spray heating oil (like diesel) work fine. Usually they are stainless steel and come with an integrated filter.
Here some examples:
http://www.euraoil.com/shop/start.ph.../shop/101.php3
Ok it's in German but it gives you an idea.
I use the Steinen nozzle with 60* cone. The ratings are for 100 PSI.
Water will flow about the same as oil so the rating will match what you are looking for.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:24 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

I ask, as I do have an aquamist setup on my car, and their jets are sized 0.5mm, 0.6mm 0.7mm etc. They do have an internal swirly thing, but there is also a straight drilled hole.

I was curious as to how their jet sizes compare with those in the alky kits. I think both seem to operate around 100psi.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: alcohol injection and timing