Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Methanol Injection with a supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 01:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Methanol Injection with a supercharger

Can someone shed some more light on this for me? Maybe direct me to the appropriate thread about this or a site that explains the pro's/con's of doing so?

I have a fairly stock engine that I plan to use a t-trim vortech and methanol injection on.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out http://www.snowperformance.net Thats where i got this:

In gasoline engines, as with any intercooler, this suppresses detonation so more power producing boost and timing can be utilized. Water, with its high latent heat of vaporization cools the intake charge and combustion. Methanol cools the charge and combustion but also acts like an extremely high octane fuel (some researchers claim as high as 120 octane) as well as adding more oxygen to combustion
Old 09-20-2005, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you plan on makin less then 500 hp then dont bother. If you plan on runin more then that you shoudl definatly get it as it makes a stock engine last alot longer. GL

John
Old 09-20-2005, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very True HUGGER SS

By the way I like your car.. Us Hugger SS's need to stick together..

Clint
Old 09-20-2005, 06:52 PM
Teching In

http://home.att.net/~alkycontrol/page8.htm
Old 09-20-2005, 06:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by scrmnws6
Can someone shed some more light on this for me? Maybe direct me to the appropriate thread about this or a site that explains the pro's/con's of doing so?

I have a fairly stock engine that I plan to use a t-trim vortech and methanol injection on.

You better have a good fuel system if you plan to put a T trim on a stock bottom end car even if you have meth injection.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Alot of people have tuned their motor and then went out on the street and got knock and blown their motor. So for the cooling and octane its a good idea. Everything about it is a pro.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:02 AM
11 Second Club

I got it and love it!
Old 09-24-2005, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

Its a great safety blanket. I set up my high octane table for meth and my low octane with just my FMIC. That way if the meth system fails or whatever I wont smoke my motor. I would never again use meth as a replacement for an intercooler though.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:01 AM
12 Second Club

I plan on upgrading the fuel system, of course! Thanks for the replies.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

Does the water/meth help on the same lines as a FMIC?? In my formula, I will not be able to run a true FMIC due to the airflow problem and basically I dont want to chop my nosecone to bits like some people do. Iwill retain the stock ATI twin FMIC when I put the kit together. I have heard that without a good FMIC it won't allow me to run the 15 psi I plan to with the pulley upgrade that a local shop is getting me. So will the water/meth allow the car to overtake the smaller FMIC problem??
Old 09-25-2005, 08:24 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Yes you should be able to use methanol injection with the smaller intercoolers without having IAT problems. There are people who have removed intercoolers and used just the methanol. On the street I would use both. We found that you need to inject the methanol directly into the side of the throttle body. We tried injecting the methanol several inches from the throttle body, between the maf and the throttle body, and fried the maf the first time we slammed the throttle shut under boost. Bob
Old 09-25-2005, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Yes you should be able to use methanol injection with the smaller intercoolers without having IAT problems. There are people who have removed intercoolers and used just the methanol. On the street I would use both. We found that you need to inject the methanol directly into the side of the throttle body. We tried injecting the methanol several inches from the throttle body, between the maf and the throttle body, and fried the maf the first time we slammed the throttle shut under boost. Bob
Bob, t hanks for the info. Is there a place to inject the meth into the TB? Especially on an aftermarket TB like BBK?? Or does it take modifications?? Thank you.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Bob..

Please provide more info and pics if possible where you mounted your meth jets.. My setup is just before the throttle body aftet the maf.. I dont want to fry my Maf through...

Let me know..

Clint
Old 09-26-2005, 06:25 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

We installed the jets right into the throttle body flange, where the throttle body is thicker for clamping on the inlet hose. Bob
Old 09-26-2005, 06:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a stock 5.3 w/a Radix. Is there a downside to adding meth? Surely there must be a problematic thing somewhere? I'm new at this. How is the system installed? How much more hp/torque will it get me? Sorry about so many questions.... just starting my search into this.

Last edited by JimS; 09-26-2005 at 06:42 AM.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:32 AM
12 Second Club

Is the methanol injection system on all the time? Or do you guys just engage it at the track or when you want to run someone on the street.

How much does the methanol cost? How long does it last per/gallon or tank or quart or ounce or...?

Thanks, Greg
Old 09-26-2005, 10:32 AM
12 Second Club

With the methanol being very corrosive, when the combustion of the gasoline and methanol is complete, does it still retain its corrosive porperties in the form of a gas/vapor?

I also have heard that it is not to friendly to gaskets/rubber.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

check valve will solve that issue Bob.

use one with a high cracking pressure right before the nozzle, when the pump kicks off, flow stops, no dribbles to get your maf wet with.

I ran an alky only ATI setup with the maf about 3" from the nozzle, if that, with no issues.

Heck one setup I had the maf further away but I had the nozzle pointing in the maf's direction with the idea the oncoming airflow would atomize the alky better if I fired the alky into it (experimenting) and I never had any problems with that setup either.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Blackbird..

Please post a link to the type of Check Valve your talking about..

Thank you!!

Clint

Quick Reply: Methanol Injection with a supercharger