Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What size intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 01:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default What size intercooler?

I plan on running 5-8psi with my rear mount setup on my TA, but don't want to hack up the front of the car... My buddy runs a fairly large intercooler laying flat in front of the air dam before it hits the radiator... so the fins are pointing up and down and the tanks are horizontal. He's running 12# @ 9:1 with no KR and runs like a bat out of hell. The charge pipe is cold as can be after the intercooler. It's something like 31" long by 8" and approx 3.5" deep. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't need that kind of intercooling with my setup, perhaps something smaller. I need something with 2.5" inlet/outlet ends on it for my charge pipe then convert to 3" to the MAF and TB up top. will a 24" FMIC set up this way work well for my setup?
Old 10-10-2005, 02:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zombie here in vegas has run 15# before he got his intercooler. I believe he had just the water/meth setup in his. I suggest if you arent going to run that kind of numbers, look into the alky/meth setup and racegas. Just from what I have read, it seems like the way to go. I dont think you will get any noticeable difference from an IC if you do what you are talking about. PLEASE post info on your friend's setup!!!! Vendor, etc. what kit,m price!! This is EXACTLY what I have been looking for since I am looking at 15# with a D1SC and pulley upgrade!! Help a brother out!!! Pix too if you can!!!
Old 10-10-2005, 01:24 PM
Launching!

Sounds like a procharger intercooler setup IMHO. Yeah it works you just have to have an air dam to direct the air up over the fins. Same way your radiator gets air and if in the same spot as the radiator cooling air you might see some rad temp increase as well as others have on 3rd gen setups.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:22 PM
10 Second Club

I would do an alkey set up. IMO

Quick Reply: What size intercooler?