Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

low-end torque loss on turbo cam

Old 10-27-2005, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default low-end torque loss on turbo cam

I have a high-mile 99 Z28 LS1 and I am considering a cam swap. I don't want to lose any low-end torque with the new cam, and plan on running a turbo setup. My car is about 4,100lbs so I need some low-end power to make the car feel fast off the line. Would I lose much low-end torque going to a Z06 cam? Has anyone ever done a swap to a truck cam on a turbo setup?

I know a stall converter will come up, but I don't want to stall it to the moon due to city driving. I am running a 4L80E trans and building for around 600hp.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

many do the Z06 cam for a bit of a power boost,and i dont think ud want a truck can in a car cause top end would suck.duration is what causes low end power loss,so a Z06 cam would or should give u a boost in power without any or much loss in low end,besides the benefits would outway the glitches.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, I am actually considering just staying with a stock cam. The 98-99 has a high LSA (I think around 19) which is supposed to be good for turbo engines. They put the truck cams in the trucks for a reason... for the low-end torque needed to pull those mosters around. I am wondering how much I would be able to blow through the cam at the higher RPM's... prob a better question for the truck forum!

Originally Posted by ddnspider
many do the Z06 cam for a bit of a power boost,and i dont think ud want a truck can in a car cause top end would suck.duration is what causes low end power loss,so a Z06 cam would or should give u a boost in power without any or much loss in low end,besides the benefits would outway the glitches.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the 98 cams were Corvette cams. I had one and seemed a little meatier than my buddies 01. I made some decent power on it with my T76 setup.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: low-end torque loss on turbo cam