Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Wastegate or Pullies???

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 08:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Wastegate or Pullies???

On a D1SC supercharger comes from factory at like 14#. I'm only going to run like 7-8 right now. Would it be better to get pullies for 7# or a wastegate? If wastegate, how big MM?
Old 01-03-2006, 08:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

WG's are for turbo's only.

Pulley your D1-SC to the boost level you want to run.
J
Old 01-03-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The output pressure of the D1 is determined by the size of the crank pulley and drive pulley. It also depends on the mods of your motor. IE heads, headers, cam, exhaust ect. To determine the pressure you are after, each will have a effect.

As for a blow off valve, that is intended for a turbo setup vs a bypass valve for a supercharger setup. But it can be used if you so desire but not the best choice IMOP.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there are "weastgates" for superchargers!

most people say they are for turbos only but there is no reason you couldn't enginer one to work on the intake side!

think about it. what does a weast gate do? it vents exsses pressure to bring levels down to what you want them to be! on a turbo it runs on the exhaust side. this is because thats where the drive is and it probably gives you greater controls as you have higher presure on the exhaust than the inlet.

but on a SC you dont have that so you stick one on the inlet side and rig it up like you would on a turbo! it will require some adjusting to get right but it will meen you can turn the boost up when ever you want! also as you will be making 7psi much ealier in the rpm band with the current set up you will have a much fatter torque curve.

alternatively you could just run a restricter plate. some shops run them. its just a case of getting the size right. this will limite the air flow to a maz amount! when you reach that point the SC cant pull any more air through. this effectivly "tops off" the power you can make, and agian boost the mid rage as you will be making 7psi much earlier than if you simply swapt the pullies!

but then what the hell do i know? i just like to look at things from a diffrent angle!

Chris.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:26 AM
12 Second Club

Where to get procharger 12 rib pullyes?
Old 01-04-2006, 07:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuntington101

most people say they are for turbos only but there is no reason you couldn't enginer one to work on the intake side!

think about it. what does a weast gate do? it vents exsses pressure to bring levels down to what you want them to be! on a turbo it runs on the exhaust side. this is because thats where the drive is and it probably gives you greater controls as you have higher presure on the exhaust than the inlet.

but on a SC you dont have that so you stick one on the inlet side and rig it up like you would on a turbo! it will require some adjusting to get right but it will meen you can turn the boost up when ever you want! also as you will be making 7psi much ealier in the rpm band with the current set up you will have a much fatter torque curve.

alternatively you could just run a restricter plate. some shops run them. its just a case of getting the size right. this will limite the air flow to a maz amount! when you reach that point the SC cant pull any more air through. this effectivly "tops off" the power you can make, and agian boost the mid rage as you will be making 7psi much earlier than if you simply swapt the pullies!

but then what the hell do i know? i just like to look at things from a diffrent angle!

Chris.
wow... i started to read that and was like no..... im not going to waste my time......... Why would you want to waste your time and $$$ to try and make something work with something that isnt needed and prob wont ever work..........

FastLT1 you need to do a little more research and let some people who have done this before help you....... Bob and Myself both replied in your last thread and if you give him a call he will be more then happy to explain all the questions you have....... i want you to be on track and know what is going on with these setups and not be confused by others and just give up.

Just shoot myself a PM or give Bob a call and im sure he will help you out......
Not meant to bash anyone in any way.

Kyle
Old 01-04-2006, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by frcefed98

I know......
Old 01-04-2006, 05:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

....anyways!
Old 01-04-2006, 07:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Venting air after a blower using various methods to reduce or allow boost adjustments without changing pullies has been done, and general opinion is, its wasteful and pointless. Ive read about a couple of guys using BOV's and electronic boost controllers to do it. Not worth the hassle though for most.

Restricting the intake side of a blower to limit boost isnt new either. It can allow a biggish blower on a smallish engine to produce boost quickly ( with suitable pulleys ) but the restriction limits top end boost.
ECS seem to be tinkering with this on some of the Novi2000 kits now, and I read that some of the Australian guys are also.

BOV, Dump valve, Bypass.... whatever. They all do pretty much the same thing. They dump pressurised air from the system on closing the throttle, or also under some part throttle conditions.

Wastegates may operate in a similar fashion, but the term is only used for turbocharger wastegates that dump/bypass exhaust gasses past the actual turbine.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:53 AM
12 Second Club

So what is my options then?
Old 01-05-2006, 06:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Venting air after a blower using various methods to reduce or allow boost adjustments without changing pullies has been done, and general opinion is, its wasteful and pointless. Ive read about a couple of guys using BOV's and electronic boost controllers to do it. Not worth the hassle though for most.

Restricting the intake side of a blower to limit boost isnt new either. It can allow a biggish blower on a smallish engine to produce boost quickly ( with suitable pulleys ) but the restriction limits top end boost.
ECS seem to be tinkering with this on some of the Novi2000 kits now, and I read that some of the Australian guys are also.

BOV, Dump valve, Bypass.... whatever. They all do pretty much the same thing. They dump pressurised air from the system on closing the throttle, or also under some part throttle conditions.

Wastegates may operate in a similar fashion, but the term is only used for turbocharger wastegates that dump/bypass exhaust gasses past the actual turbine.

Cliff notes:

People tend to confuse a BOV (dump valve) with a wastegate when they are actually two different things.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fastlt1
So what is my options then?
pully is the best bet. But as others have said if you car is modfied (intake, headers) then you will need the correct pully for your setup to aheive a desired boost level.

Have a word with Bob @ EPP, I'm sure he'll sort you out with what you need.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:43 AM
TECH Addict

Ok, ok, the weastgate idea might not be as great as i would like it to be! but the restrictor plate defnintly has its advantages over a bigger pully!

here is a usefull link that might help you! dont know if the plate would work on your setup but it seem to have some rave reviews! worth a phone call!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...16&forum_id=86

Chris.

Last edited by chuntington101; 01-05-2006 at 07:05 AM.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:54 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Unless you are pushing extremes, or want to experiment with things, just select the pulleys to give you the boost you can safely run.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

hahahaha. you people make me laugh!

sooooooo easy to wind up!

i guess im still one of the few thats propeard to look outside the box for answers!

NO it doesnt wind me up..... i just hate it when people say things like that, that confuse new people who are truly trying to learn.... then i have to straighten them out via PM.....

This is getting now. I dont need any more today.......

Kyle
Old 01-05-2006, 07:13 AM
TECH Addict

SORRY!

my mind just get carried away sometimes!

thats why i changed my above post to be a little less confusing and (maybe) a little more helpfull!

Chris.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Its all good...... i hadnt had my Mountain Dew yet Either....