Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

SMIC possibility on trans am?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 06:44 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SMIC possibility on trans am?

Has anyone come up with a good intercooler setup for a trans am yet? I'm looking for an alternative to carving up the front end while keeping the foglights functional. I was wondering if it'd be effective to fab up a couple of side mounted intercoolers behind the nose vents, below the parking lights? Even if I were to get a decent system in place, would there be enough surface area to make it worthwhile? I'm really looking for something that would keep the front end looking as "stock" as possible. Open to thoughts/suggestions.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many people have done it behind the fog light holes and still put the foglights back on...... You are going to need to cut out the license plate area then..... the FMIC needs airflow across it to cool the charge.......... I know with my old set-up i would see a rise of 20 degrre's in engine temp alone with the cover over my license plate hole i cut over it being off.... and that was @ 70mph on the freeway.......
BTW look at the stock ATI IC's they are to small thats why people switched to one big FMIC.....

Kyle
Old 01-04-2006, 07:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

if your arnt willing to cut the front end of your car then FI isnt really for you
they do have a special designed bumper with a large opening for an intercooler
Old 01-04-2006, 08:23 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
if your arnt willing to cut the front end of your car then FI isnt really for you
they do have a special designed bumper with a large opening for an intercooler
Too late to not go FI. I wasnt necessarily against it, it's just that I'm looking for ways to minimize gouging up the front end. Unfortunately, I live in a state that requires a front plate and I'm not willing to tempt fate with my bad luck by going without one. Since I'd like to keep the foglights, I had thought about getting a Formula front end so I could make a couple of cutouts on the sides of the plate and put in a fmic. Again, I'm just looking at all possible options and what others have done - didnt know if 2 small smic's could be an effective work-around.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

I don't see why you couldn't go to the sides. I'm almost positive I've seen it before on someone's car. I don't remember though.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by rotweiler-ws6
Too late to not go FI. I wasnt necessarily against it, it's just that I'm looking for ways to minimize gouging up the front end. Unfortunately, I live in a state that requires a front plate and I'm not willing to tempt fate with my bad luck by going without one. Since I'd like to keep the foglights, I had thought about getting a Formula front end so I could make a couple of cutouts on the sides of the plate and put in a fmic. Again, I'm just looking at all possible options and what others have done - didnt know if 2 small smic's could be an effective work-around.

TX has a front plate law also.......... but they will have to be happy about the front window or something else.... cause mine isnt going on........

You will figure it out......
Old 01-04-2006, 09:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Perhaps you should look into the vortech aftercooler if cutting up the front isnt what you prefer to do.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

if your not planning on making a zillion horsepower then adapting the ATI twin intercoolers to your STS will work just fine and you should be able to pick them up fairly cheap. My buddy has a pair for sale if your interested. Just let me know.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

ATI has just released an upgrade to the twin setup... It includes bigger cores for better cooling.
My std ATI twins worked fine for 10psi, and I plan on using them for 15psi also.
I have an LT1 car, so my TA doesnt have the license plate holder out front to cut off.
I have seen another twin setup that stands the cores upright in the front of the wheel-wells with ducting to channel air into them from under the marker lights and out through the wheel-well.
The setup was on a red camaro or bird on Speed Inc's website. It was for twin turbo's but the cores were huge and the plumbing can be changed however you need it.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rotweiler-ws6
Has anyone come up with a good intercooler setup for a trans am yet? I'm looking for an alternative to carving up the front end while keeping the foglights functional. I was wondering if it'd be effective to fab up a couple of side mounted intercoolers behind the nose vents, below the parking lights? Even if I were to get a decent system in place, would there be enough surface area to make it worthwhile? I'm really looking for something that would keep the front end looking as "stock" as possible. Open to thoughts/suggestions.
Check out our website. We offer a kit for you.

Rick
Old 01-05-2006, 02:21 AM
Launching!

i've seen some ones car on here that has a front plate then at certain speeds it lifts up
exposing thier fmic
Old 01-05-2006, 05:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

my state also requires a plate, i am going to put mine on the airdam below, alot of people around here are doing that adn dont seem to get bothered.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:35 AM
Launching!

Using a twin intercooler setup on the a single sts kit may have to much pressure drop. If you do this be sure you find someone who can a low fin count on the internal side. An offset fin would be to restrictive look for somone that would have either an extrusion or channel fin.

Quick Reply: SMIC possibility on trans am?