Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Best of all FI kits

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 04:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best of all FI kits

Ok, I understand that most people will say that turbo is the way to go as far as performance and just in general. It also seems to me that there is not too many if any at all really decent or really good turbo kits currently out there. I know sts is good and many like it and im not putting all of these dif FI kits down. Now correct me if I am wrong. I was just wondering in general between surpercharged and turbocharged applications, which would be the best, or should I say most reliable FI kit out there, with the least amount of problems for the ls1. Looking at both race and street applications. Basically taking all factors into consideration. Which kit as of now would ultimatly be the best to go.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

did you just say that sts is the only turbo kit you know of that is even up to the performance level of 'decent'?

is your knowledge of ls1 forced induction based solely off of 2 guys garage?
TECH Fanatic

Most people will still say turbo. There are several kits out there that are great kits such as: PTK, TTI, Speed Inc, etc. The list is actually bigger than most think. The STS would be a decent kit for most but some like get every available bit of performance. ATI and Vortech make great kits for our cars as well and it seems that the general conscensus is that S/C setups are more reliable once belt slip issues are ironed out. Turbo setup can be just as reliable with proper tuning though. If I went with a kit now I would get a PTK turbo kit because they've been around for a while in the FI world. TTI would be a close second.
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
did you just say that sts is the only turbo kit you know of that is even up to the performance level of 'decent'?

I knew someone would get him for that.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Regular

Just to warn ya, your prolly going to get bashed for this. This question has popped up a million times, and the answer, there is no best kit. Are you going to go race or street? Keeping AC? turbo... single or twins? Built motor? There are so many questions to consider. Superchargers are generally easier to intall and tune, turbos usually make more HP though. STS is good, especially for a street car, I just don't like the idea of having the air filter back there, I kinda want my turbo under my hood too. Superchargers are pretty easy, vortech or procharger, A2W IC or A2A IC? Turbo is a lot harder decision, long manifold style will prolly be cheapier (GMR, TTi street) the old QMP kit, but doesn't make as much power as a tubular system. STS, thats self explanitory. PTS tubular design, keeps AC, good street kit. Hi Flo is coming out with a similar kit as well. Then there is the TTi race kit, makes great power but you lose AC. GMR also has two twin kits, one race one street. You have to have goals and what your willing to sacrifice, and how deep your pockets are, then you can decide which FI you want to go. Goodluck!
Old 02-23-2006, 05:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WS-Sick
Most people will still say turbo. There are several kits out there that are great kits such as: PTK, TTI, Speed Inc, etc. The list is actually bigger than most think. The STS would be a decent kit for most but some like get every available bit of performance. ATI and Vortech make great kits for our cars as well and it seems that the general conscensus is that S/C setups are more reliable once belt slip issues are ironed out. Turbo setup can be just as reliable with proper tuning though. If I went with a kit now I would get a PTK turbo kit because they've been around for a while in the FI world. TTI would be a close second.
The STS kits make great power and are totally realible.
There are at least half dozen STS TT stroker Vettes that will be hitting dyno's shortly. They will all be over 750 rwhp.
CARB(50 state) approval is going to be king in the U.S. shortly.

I like STS, LPE, APS, TTI, Kenne Bell; PTK is a little further down the list. To many things to mitigate and that drive cost.
Speed, Inc. also has it's stuff together as well.

Centrifiguls are dying out, the turbo's are just a better product now and at the similar price point when you add in labor.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Regular

LPE, APS, and kenne bell are all pretty much outta the question, they don't make kits for the LS1 fbody. PTS or Hi Flo are my two fav's because they keep the AC and are engine mounts. I am still waiting to see GMR street twin setup.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

i think you should base your decision off of real world results, not hype, clever advertisement, or big claims.

im thinking those vettes would probably pick up 100 at the tires if they would have spent their stroker crank money on the price difference to buy a conventional kit... and please post all 6 dyno graphs.. shortly..
Old 02-23-2006, 07:34 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Our biggest seller is Procharger kit's.They work very well and people like the hp curve for street driving.

For Turbo's the STS kit works pretty good but needs extra's to run efficient like intercoolers and fuel systems. The best kit's are the one's that are custom made on your car but that gets expensive.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

My biggest reservation with the STS is long term durabilty (not reliabilty).

The pipe work runnig from the back of the car to engine is not stainless steel. I think this is just asking for boost leaks after X years. Espcially if you live somewhere like me were rain is common in a somewhat humid/damp environment. Also in winter the roads are heavily treated with grit (salt).

With a front mount turbo or a supercharger I don't see this being an issue.

Trouble is, no one knows how the STS will react over the years yet, as it's still to new to really know.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say the "best" kit for YOU is the one that fits your:
1. Budget
2. Desired power level
3. Application (street/race)

Once you figure these 3 questions out, I would SEARCH my *** off. I have been searching on ls1tech for a year now and finally made up my mind which application is for me!

Good luck man, don't rush things

Andy
Old 02-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Launching!

"For Turbo's the STS kit works pretty good but needs extra's to run efficient like intercoolers and fuel systems. The best kit's are the one's that are custom made on your car but that gets expensive. "

I agree on the STS; bigger incooler, 67/76, #60's, good fuel, ebc, great pvc & meth...plus some other things should be in the base kit and of course special stuff from talented tuners (I never underweight this). Good to about 750/750. This allows room to grow.

Mine is another creature entirely.

In regard, to Centrifiguls to Turbos. The tuning, price point, R&D and quality has come far enough to create evolution. There has been a number of guys that have taken off their centrifiguls and have switched to turbo's. Looking at the "today, not six months ago," sales trends, it almost 3 to 1 in favor of turbo setups according to a recent poll and many of the posts that I have seen elsewhere.

MM,

I will post the info as I see it come down. This will make for good discussion. There are some great shops working on these. Synergy, MTI, Cartek, FRCTom down in Florida. MTI so far got 740/711, 383, 12.5 psi, non turbo cam, STS at 5,800 rpm.s, no meth. Car ran out of fuel. 6,600-6,800 rpm should interesting with more boost, meth, turbo cam and adequate fuel. Daily driver

So far, the Cartek single STS T, about 800 rwhp, TH400, only 13 PSI, 388, T76, Meth, 9.33 at 149. Driven to the track

Synergy has single STS T, 650/650, fat tune at 10 PSI, Six speed, Clutch failed, new clutch going in and boost going up. Daily driver.

Brent

P.S. Synergy has about six STS T & TT cars that being finished up & boost adjusted. Not to alienate ATI P1, D1, F1, KB and at least three Direct Port cars that are being finished up at the shop.

P.P.S. The STS pipes are coated. Find some references on how good coating adds to durability of material. Perhaps the JetHot site. Their is one kit out here on a 140,000+ mile daily driver.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:07 AM
12 Second Club

I wasnt trying to single out any specific kit. I also wasnt trying to say it wasnt a good kit, or that it performed just decent, because I know there are some quick sts cars out there. I know I did say that, but I meant performance as in the general all around performance of the system, not necessarily the power gains and what not and what people run with the kit. I just used sts because I read a lot of the threads on it and hear mainly good things, but I also read the threads of people who have had issues. I was actually thinking about getting one. Now looking back I dont think I should have asked this question as red91vette pointed out to me. My fault. I wasnt trying to say that the kits out there arent good. I was just going to try and get an aswer based on all the +'s and -'s of all the kits out there, which one would be the better to get all around, but I guess it cant really be answered.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:12 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leftme4dead
......I was just going to try and get an aswer based on all the +'s and -'s of all the kits out there, which one would be the better to get all around, but I guess it cant really be answered. ...
Well you never gave an application, so it's an overly vague question.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by leftme4dead
which would be the best, or should I say most reliable FI kit out there, with the least amount of problems for the ls1. Looking at both race and street applications. Basically taking all factors into consideration. Which kit as of now would ultimatly be the best to go.
you can blow up a stock ls1 with any FI kit available if you do it wrong.

also i can't think of anyone off hand that has gone quicker or faster than me with an off the shelf, unmodified 'kit' and that was over a year ago. (before i modified it)
Old 02-27-2006, 11:57 AM
12 Second Club

you can blow up a stock ls1 with any FI kit available if you do it wrong.

also i can't think of anyone off hand that has gone quicker or faster than me with an off the shelf, unmodified 'kit' and that was over a year ago. (before i modified it)

which unmodified kit was that?
Old 02-27-2006, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

TTi race kit
Old 02-27-2006, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bang for the buck, D1SC kit.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Double post because the forum is wicked slow...
Old 03-01-2006, 06:55 AM
On The Tree

Ok whats the difference between The Procharger P1sc and the D1sc ??

Quick Reply: Best of all FI kits