Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Info on LS1 supercharger; Firehawk; ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 02:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Info on LS1 supercharger; Firehawk; ?

I've looked, to an extent, on different search engines, but with my limited time, I can't seem to find any definitive information on makes and models for an LS1 supercharger kit. I'd like to find a relatively cheap kit, that won't require a different cam, rings, pistons or anything else. I just want some simple, cost-effective, bolt-on horsepower, and the whine of a supercharger! So far I'm just looking into things, so unless you're very bored, don't put a lot of time or effort into a response; I just need some direction and narrowing to help my search.
The supercharger would go on a '99 Firehawk; stock everything so far. I don't want to change the appearance of the car, so it would have to fit under the hood, but with what I'm looking for, i wouldn't expect that to be a problem anyway.

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2006, 02:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Procharger D1SC kit. With supporting mods, correctly done. With a stock block will do wonders.

Where in Colorado are you?
Old 03-22-2006, 02:40 AM
TECH Resident

Procharger D1SC kit. Check with some of the sponsors on this site, word is they have the best prices around. On top of the Supercharger kit you'll probably need fuel injectors (42lbs would be my guess im no guru). You'll absolutely need dyno tuning on top of that. You wont have to change out any engine internals so long as you keep the boost down. It looks like if you keep it under 9-10 lbs with a really good tune you'll be good to go. I think 8 lbs could get u anywhere from 450-500 hp depending on the tune.

edit - just noticed you two are in colorado where bouts? I'm in Thornton.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:04 AM
Teching In

Wow, being new to the forums, I'm amazed at these fast replies! Thanks for the help; I'll look into those. I'm on I-70, right by Kansas. The car's a daily driver; so how's mileage gonna frown, or rather, scowel, at the addition of a supercharger, and thirstier injectors? Anyone notice if this addition makes the car run warmer? And what comes and goes in the installation of one of these? Will the stock ram-air hood still be functional (obviously the ram-air portion wouldn't but it could still come through the scoops as a cold-air intake, right?)? Thanks again.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:41 AM
Teching In

Addition-

From what I see on their website... http://www.procharger.com/tech.shtml
I think I'm going to want to run around 4 psi, b/c if i can help it, I don't want to intercool. I'm trying to keep this so far hypothetical project cheap, so I can talk myself into it. Dementia, in your experience, does running 91 octane pump gas seem to do ok with as much as the 8 psi you suggested?
Old 03-22-2006, 04:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would stick to the tuner kit which includes the twin intercoolers. You are asking for problems with out them. And as for making things cheap it will not help at all to go with out them. For your other questions mileage will not suffer that much as long as you keep your foot out of it. For supporting equip. you will need larger fuel pump, injectors and good tune. A good exhaust would not hurt either.
For your hood the ram air function will no longer be used, due to the filter being located down low. ( I did a full revamp on my system to keep my stock filter-location and freah air off of the hood) But no mods are required to the hood, for the normal install.

Running hotter for most is not a issue.

With a good tune there is no reason you could not run 7-9 psi. With 4 psi you will not be happy, and will only want more. 91-92 octaine will get you by, as long as your tune is correct, and you are running the intercoolers.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:32 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...php?service=66

The link above may answer some of your questions. I also have quite a few cars with ATI ProChargers installed in the project car section of my website. Bob
Old 03-22-2006, 04:10 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry if you got the misconception that I'm actually supercharged. I'm still in the saving money stage of forced induction lol (just got done with college). I have however done a ton of reading on this stuff and I'm slowly learning about turbo setups as well. With all of my research, I think its safe to say that Everything 618Hawk has said is right on. I would not run unintercooled because that limits you to really low boost, and will increase your intake temps which could make tuning tricky or worse yet lead to other probs. The intercoolers are a good insurance. If you dont mind doing/having some custom fab work done then you can buy the kit without the twin intercoolers and throw in a FMIC.

618 Hawk, where bouts in denver are you? I'd love to check out your car someday and maybe be lucky enough to get a ride in it
Old 03-22-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dementia
Sorry if you got the misconception that I'm actually supercharged. I'm still in the saving money stage of forced induction lol (just got done with college). I have however done a ton of reading on this stuff and I'm slowly learning about turbo setups as well. With all of my research, I think its safe to say that Everything 618Hawk has said is right on. I would not run unintercooled because that limits you to really low boost, and will increase your intake temps which could make tuning tricky or worse yet lead to other probs. The intercoolers are a good insurance. If you dont mind doing/having some custom fab work done then you can buy the kit without the twin intercoolers and throw in a FMIC.

618 Hawk, where bouts in denver are you? I'd love to check out your car someday and maybe be lucky enough to get a ride in it
I live inthe Aurora area and work out at DIA so some what close to you.
PM sent
Old 03-22-2006, 05:12 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First thing you'll learn is FI and cheap does not mix Procharger is a great setup,get the intercoolers.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Regular

I hear good things about procharger, but if you don't intercool, you will regret it later. I don't see why you wouldn't use premium gas (except $) if youre trying to get performance out of your vehicle.
As far as being cheap, you're already spending over $6k so why cut corners on an intercooler, doesn't have to be a big *** one behind your bumper: they can be relatively small and will fit under your hood. You may need to relaocate the battery but no biggie

Quick Reply: Info on LS1 supercharger; Firehawk; ?