Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

which is faster supercharger or turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which is faster supercharger or turbo

i've spent alot of time reading the fourms and such and i'm still trying to deicde what to do my 01 firehawk , but my question which is faster for a daily driven weekend warrior car , is a 700 rwhp turbo f-body jsut as fast and a 700rwhp supercharged f-body or is there a difference in the power curves . i see lots of numbers of guys with huge numbers but i see alot less of horsepower numbers and the times they run . for which would be easy to say runs 10s in the 1/4 with with out major modifcations to the suspension and on street slicks , i don't want to be like all of the 800 rwhp supras that only runs 12s
Old 03-22-2006, 11:03 PM
Racer

Nitrous,use it only when you want it. Ive run 10s and have NO suspension work. NO suspension bolt ons. Just drag radials. I dont even have 500whp. And can be driven daily getting 20mpg.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:05 PM
11 Second Club

i think turbos are better for the street....the turbo lag will allow you to get much needed traction, as long as you size your turbo correctly it will work great.

superchargers will come in off the line, so if you plan on running 800 rwhp you will need a better suspention /tires to get traction. eather way if you have the correct equipment for your application i don't think you can go wrong.

I my self am going turbo.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:10 PM
11 Second Club

the problem with nitrous is you have to fill the bottle. for me that was every week and it cost over $50 a fill =( that was close to $600 for the summer!!!

and i can't tell you how many times i did not have the bottle open when i wanted to freeway race(when a bike or something would roll up) or when i did not have alot of n2o left and even with a warmer i could not get my full 150 spray ...its hard to blame a lost race on "i did not have enough bottle pressure"

but yes for the short term nitrous will get you moving fast for cheap...
Old 03-22-2006, 11:13 PM
Racer

It only cost me $30 from empty to full. Oh yeah,and get a remote bottle opener!
Old 03-22-2006, 11:44 PM
TECH Resident

Not many will spend $600 a summer on nitrous but about all will spend 5 grand more going turbocharged.

Just throwing things out there...
Old 03-22-2006, 11:52 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by GrahamHill
Not many will spend $600 a summer on nitrous but about all will spend 5 grand more going turbocharged.

Just throwing things out there...
Yeah i dont understand those people
Old 03-22-2006, 11:55 PM
11 Second Club

i fill a 15 # bottle....thats 52.50 before tax up here i personaly go out racing fri, sat, and sunday night not to mention track days, shooting a 150shot...i went through alot of spray. i thought about getting a remote opener....but by that time i new i was going turbo so i saved the cash.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:02 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Helix427
i've spent alot of time reading the fourms and such and i'm still trying to deicde what to do my 01 firehawk , but my question which is faster for a daily driven weekend warrior car , is a 700 rwhp turbo f-body jsut as fast and a 700rwhp supercharged f-body or is there a difference in the power curves . i see lots of numbers of guys with huge numbers but i see alot less of horsepower numbers and the times they run . for which would be easy to say runs 10s in the 1/4 with with out major modifcations to the suspension and on street slicks , i don't want to be like all of the 800 rwhp supras that only runs 12s

The bottom line is that both Turbos and Superchargers get the job done.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:35 AM
11 Second Club

I fill my own nitrous bottles and it only cost me abound 13 bucks... check with your local welding supplier.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:29 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by markp03
i think turbos are better for the street....the turbo lag will allow you to get much needed traction, as long as you size your turbo correctly it will work great.

superchargers will come in off the line, so if you plan on running 800 rwhp you will need a better suspention /tires to get traction. eather way if you have the correct equipment for your application i don't think you can go wrong.

I my self am going turbo.
I totally disagree with that statement.
Every car Ive owned and tuned since I was old enough to drive legally has been turbocharged. When you start pushing for a lot of power, the power delivery is anything but user friendly for a street car.
That sudden rush of power/torque when the boost picks up is great, but it can very easily cause traction issues.

My last turbo engine was a 4.6 Rover V8, making about 500bhp at a guess ( not rwhp )
Traction in 1st to 3rd was useless in the dry, and in all 5 gears in the wet. Once boost started to pick up, it was all over. When it had grip, it was superb though.

The same car now fitted with a supercharged LS1 engine, making a lot more power, is quite useable in 2nd gear in the dry, and even in the wet you can make good progress.
Power delivery from a centrifugal blower is very user/traction friendly. Turbos are not.

But ultimately if big power is your goal...then turbos win everytime.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:33 PM
Launching!

Whats more relevat IMO is which will get youto that 700WHP you want easier.

And I am not familiar with all the kits out there, but I can tell you that Turbos are pretty cheap compared to Supers. Your average big turbo is still under 2000 unless your going full out custom etc. You can get a T-76 for about 1700, and thats a lot of turbo. Certanly more than capable of 700WHP.

But if you already have nice set of LTs, you just wasted that money if you go turbo (unless the STS system allows you to use LTs?)

Either way you will need a fuel system.

Personally I will go with turbo in virtually any application from drag to road course from low displacement to high. But then there are plenty out there to disagree with me on that.

My .02
Old 03-23-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by stevieturbo

My last turbo engine was a 4.6 Rover V8, making about 500bhp at a guess ( not rwhp )
Traction in 1st to 3rd was useless in the dry, and in all 5 gears in the wet. Once boost started to pick up, it was all over. When it had grip, it was superb though.
Get better tires... I used to light my tires up going 85 on the highway. I bought R compounds, and I can stab it in 3rd and go for a rocket ride!

Originally Posted by stevieturbo

The same car now fitted with a supercharged LS1 engine, making a lot more power, is quite useable in 2nd gear in the dry, and even in the wet you can make good progress.
Power delivery from a centrifugal blower is very user/traction friendly. Turbos are not.

But ultimately if big power is your goal...then turbos win everytime.
So, what you are saying is more HP and less torque is better. I have to disagree. You just need to understand that if you are making lots of power, you can not go WOT in 1-3 gear on the street. But having that torque down low makes street driving more enjoyable, and at the track will yield better times (with traction of course!)

Tommy
Old 03-23-2006, 02:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

My LS1 is making more power, and torque. It just makes it in a more progressive way, making it easier to put into good use.
Once a turbo motor builds boost, thats it, it is difficult to control. At times, even at half throttle, it can just run away, and be making nearly as much torque as it might at full throttle. If you have all that happening at circa 2500-3000rpm, thats a lot of torque al of a sudden. So easy for it to break the tyres loose.
My YSi is very controllable under foot.

Using DR's etc on the road is all good and well. For you guys, they are cheap, and for many I think you have good weather to allow them to be used.
The weather here sucks, usually cold and wet, and any DR type tyres have to be imported from the US, so they arent cheap either.
So for normal road use, they would be far from ideal, in my case anyway.

No doubt with an auto, it would offer better traction. But an auto is the last thing I'd want in a fast road car.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Resident

Use of a boost controller like an eboost2 allows turbo users to designate specific gear/rpm conditions under which less boost is preferable. More screwing around than a supercharged setup, sure, but it's one method of trying to make maximum use of your boost throughout the rpm range for each gearing.

Also, consider the crank HP necessary for your 700 rwhp... you'll need more for the supercharged scenario, since you're utilizing that crank hp to turn the blower.

Oh, and I'm not even going to drive my turbo car in any kind of inclement weather. DR's and sunshine, baby!

Quick Reply: which is faster supercharger or turbo