Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

big cam or custom rear turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 06:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big cam or custom rear turbo?

well i have an auto 02 ss, full exhaust, ported tb, mass air, 350 rwhp(450 rwhp on nos) with a 3400 stall. i just purchase a cam, .236/242 .598/.610 114+4, what would be a better setup?

1.) new cam and a bigger shot, 150.

2.) stock cam and no nitrous with a turbo running 8 lbs, remote custom

which one would be faster, i have et streets, so rule out trackion issues.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:51 PM
Teching In

I would go with the turbo. No amount of lobe lift will compare with forced induction.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:46 PM
Restricted User

i have the same problem and it depends..many will say that the rear turbo thing is kinda gay/ricer bla bla...and just go heads/cam/spray...but in the end turbo has better potential imo...its jus that ur motor/fuel system needs to be up to the task...overall cam/spray will be faster in MOST applications but wouldnt u wanna see somebody's face when u pop the blowoff valve at the red light in an LS1 car, i would and thats what i decided on, BOOOOOST
Old 03-24-2006, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think the rear mounts have proven themsolves enough to not be considered rice...at least I hope so. With these STS cars getting faster and faster, you can see how much potential they have.

Now your choice I think is going to be more based on how much you want to spend. If your not against putting some serious dough into your car, than turbo is the way to go. And you can have a brutal turbo setup that is very streetable. Driving around town with a massive cam can be challenging.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NYSS Guy
I think the rear mounts have proven themsolves enough to not be considered rice...at least I hope so. With these STS cars getting faster and faster, you can see how much potential they have.

Now your choice I think is going to be more based on how much you want to spend. If your not against putting some serious dough into your car, than turbo is the way to go. And you can have a brutal turbo setup that is very streetable. Driving around town with a massive cam can be challenging.

how fast is your car, ive gone 11.6s in mine with the 100 hp shot, i dont see too many guys running 11s with te sts, also with my cam and 150 shot i should see 10s. turbo is better, but i dont think it will get me into the 10s
Old 03-25-2006, 08:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I expect to be well into the 10's. You should search for some more STS results. There are a few built motor/sts cars in the 9's. BUT, it's gonna cost a lot more to get the turbo running like that, nitrous should be cheaper. It all depends on what type of setup suits you best.

But, with the motor built right, you could hit low 10's-hi 9's with the sts. It's been done. Good luck.