Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

how Much ignition Advance are you at WOT?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 12:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how Much ignition Advance are you at WOT?

Well as some of you know i just got the car together and im trying to get all the kinks worked out! Im on the stock bottom end i have not seen a dyno yet. A fellow member gave me a bin file and i used his timming tables. when i am at WOT my ign. advance sees 16 degrees, my knock retard shows none(0.0) so im assuming for now that is pretty safe!

NOW, For some reason my boost controllor is not showing any boost! When i am full throttle, its saying that im at 0 atmosphere. My mechanic said that i am about 2 pounds. The wastegate has an 8 pound spring; however my bov does not have any lines going to it right now ( Witch would be the vacume line i think , This would cause the bov to stay opend when boosting correct? Witch would loose boost!) So my question is

Mm i not showing boost because i dont have the BOV hooked up with a vacume line??

Why does it feel like im looseing boost i just here shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh when im on it in 5th or 6th on the freeway, its loud but doesnt move all that much

We set my idel at 800 but it idles at 1200 at a stop and then goes down to 900 after being stoped for about 1 minute! ANY ideas? thank you all!

Last edited by TondSS; 03-25-2006 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:48 PM
10 Second Club

UPP nothing?
Old 03-25-2006, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

if your BOV doesnt have any lines going to it then you are not getting any boost. There should be a boost reference from say were your boost gauge is hooked into at there should be a T and one should go to the BOV. At least thats the way mine works

I hope this helps
I do think there needs to be at least one line going to the BOV and it should be the underside not the top. If you have a top nipple on the BOV thats only for a boost controller.

PM me if I can help you any more

Sorry about that i ment the waste gate not BOV I hope talking to you helped

Last edited by buldogg; 03-25-2006 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:11 PM
10 Second Club

cool deal anyone else?
Old 03-25-2006, 02:12 PM
10 Second Club

if im not getting anyboost why did i beat a 600 rwhp mustand last night just curious i think i am getting boost just a pound or to
Old 03-25-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BOV or wastegate isn't hooked up??

Some BOV's will push open under boost without a reference on them to help keep it closed. You need to have everthing hooked up or you're asking for trouble.

DO NOT run with an unconnected wastegate unless you know the combo perfectly (ie turbo is sized to limit boost) or you like replacing parts.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:55 AM
TECH Addict

I am running 24 degrees advance at 7.5# up to 6500rpm. No knock retard on pump 91. Motor is a 9.6:1 Vortech-blown 383 with FMIC.

Jim
Old 03-26-2006, 11:06 AM
Pathological Modifier

Idle issue sounds like it could be a vacuum leak.

The Boost issue could be related to the vacuum leak, but is most likely the fact that the BOV is opening under boost. The BOV should be connected to a source Down stream of the throttle blade (back of the manifold).

As for timing it is 100% based on your combination...

Static Compression Ratio (higher CR means lower total advance)
Dynamic CR(Cam Duration/LSA, Timing afects DCR) (same as above)
Intake air Temperature (higher IAT means lower total advance)
Fuel (Lower octane fuel means less timing)
Methanol? (methanol Cools the IAT and Raises the effective Fuel Octane= higher total advance)

With out the specifics of the above, its really just a guess as to what timing to run that is safe with your combination.

Me I run two timing maps one with methanol which progressivly raises timing from my normal map upto about 6 degrees for a total advance of 24 at 6000rpm. My normal map peaks at about 18 degrees (at 16psi). Its higher at lower boost levels.

Ryan

Last edited by Ryan K; 03-26-2006 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:39 PM
12 Second Club

Do you not know where to reference your BOV or just haven't got around to it? I'd think that I'd just hook it up and see if that doesn't solve any of your problem. I don't know what sort of BOV you have, but w/ my TiAl 55mm I made boost even without it connected.
Congrats on killing the mustang. They've become light snacks for me too. (not something that impressive though)
Just my 2 cents on the BOV, tap it into the brake boost line coming from the master cylinder, that works pretty well, I was told you aren't going to get as good of a reference if you use your boost gauge line unless the vacuum line is fairly big.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:57 PM
10 Second Club

Well the stang is a honest 600 hp to the ground! fastest in town we went from a roll however only on 2 pounds for me!
WE got it fixed!!! it wasnt getting enough vaccume !! boost controller works!! the highest kpa i hit was 55kpa then i let off because im not fully tuned! this was with 14 degress of timing and no knock retard! not sure what my air to fuel is yet but it bogs in low rpm!
Old 03-28-2006, 02:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TondSS
if im not getting anyboost why did i beat a 600 rwhp mustand last night just curious i think i am getting boost just a pound or to
MAybe he wasnt 600whp dude ever think of that?AMybe they lied to make there ***** feel bigger....I raced a supposed 500whp mustang from a roll in my car when i was doing 505 and i ******* walked that thing bad like 10 cars atleast,so dont believe what people tell you....O yea keep beating on your untuned mass air in the wrong spot stock short block big turbo car......It will stay together im sure.....
Old 03-28-2006, 06:18 PM
10 Second Club

actually i was geting a little boost and i have a head and cam in the car and it has got a mild tune in it! nathen why are you coming on here and hating damit! you have my # call me if you wnat to say something, i dont understand why you try to make me look like an idiot! its getting soo annoying! This guy has never owned an ls1 car!
he know a **** load about carb cars but he no expert on fuel injection! Also this is an old post i got this figuerd out along time ago!
Old 03-28-2006, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

by 2 pounds... are you saying you're running 2 psi and getting 600hp on a mustang dyno? uhhh
Old 03-28-2006, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sierra5.3
by 2 pounds... are you saying you're running 2 psi and getting 600hp on a mustang dyno? uhhh

I think he meant to say that the Mustang owner 'claimed' 600hp and he beat it on 2 lb's. of boost...

Quick Reply: how Much ignition Advance are you at WOT?