Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Meth injection: Consistant vs. Progressive

Old 03-27-2006, 10:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Meth injection: Consistant vs. Progressive

I've got a P-1 blower setup (8 psi) on my stock LS1 motor... I'm thinking about spraying meth to keep things cool (I just popped a headgasket )

I'd really like to get the Cooling Mist kit, as it's inexpensive ($200) and seems effective. But then I saw the Devil's Own kit, which has the progressive spray. It seems like that would be better... but that's just instinct.

Can anyone compare these two methods for me? As is the case with a lot of people, money is LOW due to clutch/headgasket, so I need to stay WELL under the $300 mark.

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2006, 11:13 AM
Teching In

I am sort of in the same situation, but not for performace, its just that it gets so hot here in the summer i am scared to give it much gas in the heat and with bad CA gas,.. i am leaning towards the Snow kit as i found a great deal/ (a group buy on it),... probably going progressive- any thoughts...

the cooling mist kit looks inexpensive, but everything is alacart and it adds up, atleast when i looked at it.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Alky kits are just like any other car part, you get what you pay for. The progressive kits are much better because they're boost referenced and increase the flow as you're intake pressure increases. This will help you create optimum power through all rpm ranges. With a consistant kit it's going to be spraying too much alky down low and actually decreasing the power posible. I would suggest the Alky Control kit personally. Check out http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14 and read some of the threads on there for reviews and comparisons of products. You'll also find out a lot of info about how to set it up and everything. Even though the forum is for Turbo Buicks most of the rules still apply on a FI LS1.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the constant type. At the track i ran a few passes with it and just dialed in the a/f
acroos the rpm range.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you buy, go progressive, but don't buy it, build it, and go constant, half the price, 98% of performance, constant can be tuned for.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LadyJ
I am sort of in the same situation, but not for performace, its just that it gets so hot here in the summer i am scared to give it much gas in the heat and with bad CA gas,.. i am leaning towards the Snow kit as i found a great deal/ (a group buy on it),... probably going progressive- any thoughts...
the cooling mist kit looks inexpensive, but everything is alacart and it adds up, atleast when i looked at it.
How about just pull the blower belt off for normal driving.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by white2001s10
How about just pull the blower belt off for normal driving.
Ever driven a supercharged car with the belt off? Can you say slug...the car runs like **** with the restriction in the intake tract.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:35 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Progressive stuff has much more control, no need in flooding the engine with more water/meth than is needed.
Here is a link to the FJO Product, surely not the cheapest but the pump is spec'd for alky, and can be installed anywhere in the system.
http://www.fjoracing.com/products/waterinjection/
There is also a very cool video of them testing the unit in a clear piece of pipe to show just how fine a mist you get.
Ricky
Old 03-29-2006, 10:04 PM
12 Second Club

Bump? Anymore information I can get here on the topic?
Old 03-30-2006, 12:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just got a Devils Own kit for my truck. Got install last weekend, but it looks like a got a controller with a fault flash, cuz it will intermittently come on full speed when the key is turned on. They have been great with customer service and on my word, sent me another controller out the next day. Should be hear today or tomorrow. Chance told me they have over 200 of there controllers out there and have only ever had problems with 5 controllers, and 2 of them where on turbo diesels that running in boost for long periods of time causing heat issues that they addressed.

I really like the design of there system, as it uses a microprocessor to control PWM for pump speed where the competition uses a variable voltage setup, which requires a large aluminum heat sink to dissipate the heat. They have a very nice controller for the money. Very small and compact. And easy to install.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:52 PM
12 Second Club

The FJO Racing controller is definitely a premium controller. The Devil's Own, Alky Control and I believe the SMC controllers all manipulate the pump voltage and is only tuneable by manifold pressure. The Cooling Mist and FJO controller are actually programmable and the FJO can be referenced by RPM, MAF, MAP, etc and don't decrease pump voltage. Those are more engine load based than the standard adjustable only by manifold pressure. Also another company from overseas makes the Aquamist system which is the most advanced water injection system I've seen. It uses an electromagnetic oscillating piston pump to precisely control water/methanol flow and is also fully mappable. The downside is that the system isn't exactly what you'd call cheap. Also you could build your own alcohol kit for less than $200.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:56 PM
Turbo Addict

I have the Snow MAF kit which is of course progressive based on maf freq. I have tried all kinds of settings and done a bunch of logging. I get the least amount of knock when I have the meth come in all at once before/during torque peak.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

The FJO is an insanely nice piece.. By far the nicest I've seen.. I just need to figure out how much meth/water and when to spray it on the fiancee's turbo car

Watch for a photo array and writeup on the FJO in the next couple days...
Old 03-30-2006, 01:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Brains
The FJO is an insanely nice piece.. By far the nicest I've seen.. I just need to figure out how much meth/water and when to spray it on the fiancee's turbo car

Don't know if I'm at liberty to post this, but here is a site that I've used to do some "small" calculations, and it explains how to calculate the water/methanol flow requirement based on desired heat removal from the charge air. Happy reading.

Happy Calculations
Old 03-30-2006, 01:57 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by Brains

You need to just get married already..
As far as the map goes give FJO a call with hp boost and they will set you up a map to get rolling on.
The pump is spec'd for alcohol, and the drive/noid can go all day. I know while testing they set those units up and started driving and driving and driving, extremely noise over there everytime I called. .
So Brain you get that tank built or what, just starting to finish ooopss really getting started installing mine.
Ricky
Old 03-30-2006, 06:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

I ended up cheating and bought a 1 gallon plastic cell
Old 03-30-2006, 07:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Thumbs up Try this....

Originally Posted by maxf
Bump? Anymore information I can get here on the topic?

www.alkycontrol.com
If you call, ask for Julio... He's got his $hit together on this stuff.

Headgaskets at 8psi??? I'd be looking elsewhere for a problem...
Old 03-30-2006, 07:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
www.alkycontrol.com
If you call, ask for Julio... He's got his $hit together on this stuff.

Headgaskets at 8psi??? I'd be looking elsewhere for a problem...
I 2nd that.......Julio did the install on my car, been running it almost a year now.....love it.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What would be the least amount of boost you'd want to have the meth turn on at, 4-5-6-7psi???

I'm about to start messing with my meth kit again and would like to set the pressure switch to come on at the best time boost wise...but I don't know what that would be. I wouldn't want the meth coming on too low and causing problems.
J
Old 03-31-2006, 12:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 430 Likes on 306 Posts

I ran my Devil's own kit where it doesn't come on when I'm in low boost just using the wastegate. That way, the first 5-6 psi are without meth, but if I flip the high boost switch on, the meth comes in at about 6lbs. I figure if my low washer fluid light comes on, I have time to flip the switch back to low boost, which is tuned without meth. Sort of a safety feature to keep from relying on meth all the time in case I run out. Then again, I'm also running an intercooler.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Meth injection: Consistant vs. Progressive