Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS Turbo setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default STS Turbo setup

I was wondering what you guys think about the STS Turbo. I'm planning to get a twin turbo setup on my vette within the next couple of weeks and want to know if any of you guys were familiar with some good systems, right know my choice is leaning towards the STS setup. One reason is because of the remote installation in the rear of the vehicle. Second is because of its killer sound. Check out this link of the sts turbo.
http://i.b5z.net/i/u/1473169/f/Video..._VERSION_2.mpg
Old 03-28-2006, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

its awesome bro, i enjoy my kit a lot. gets me happy everytime i drive it and hear that whistle
Old 03-28-2006, 06:38 AM
TECH Resident

Some people like the STS systems, others don't. It seems to be about 50/50. Just remember while the rear mounted system does have a couple of benefits, it's also not going to be able to match the performance of a well designed front mounted system. If you're looking for a basic FI system for a vette, the STS seems to work pretty well, but there are other and cheaper systems out there (such as the A&A SC kit for a fraction of the price). I personally have a hard time seeing how STS can justify charging $7500 (or whatever they're up to now) for their rear mount turbo system when it only comes with one wastegate and the BOV is an option... but some people are paying it. One thing is for sure, STS is making a good buck off these vette kits!!!

Whatever you decide, a FI vette is a lot of fun!
Old 03-28-2006, 07:40 AM
TECH Resident

I have a buddy with one on his 02 c5, he loves its, said it was money well spent !
Old 03-28-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wet 1
Some people like the STS systems, others don't. It seems to be about 50/50. Just remember while the rear mounted system does have a couple of benefits, it's also not going to be able to match the performance of a well designed front mounted system. If you're looking for a basic FI system for a vette, the STS seems to work pretty well, but there are other and cheaper systems out there (such as the A&A SC kit for a fraction of the price). I personally have a hard time seeing how STS can justify charging $7500 (or whatever they're up to now) for their rear mount turbo system when it only comes with one wastegate and the BOV is an option... but some people are paying it. One thing is for sure, STS is making a good buck off these vette kits!!!

Whatever you decide, a FI vette is a lot of fun!
you're going to compair A&A Vortech S trim kit to a Twin turbo kit???? apples to oranges my friend.. you wont get near the HP or TQ with that vortech kit as the STS turbo kit can produce. Sure its 5500.. why spend 5500$ on a kit.. or 6500 on the T-trim upgrade when you can get a twin turbo kit.. that hits full boost @ 3000rpms.. only has to use 6psi.. when you can get an STS twin system, with front mount IC for 1$k more?
Old 03-28-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A properly set up STS system will do the job all day long. But now that I think about it, so does the ATI Procharger.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
A properly set up STS system will do the job all day long. But now that I think about it, so does the ATI Procharger.

Since you are running a Procharger.. and posted your #'s..

STS on a STOCK 98 Fbody LS1 engine..
60-1 .81 a/r 414rwhp 450rwtq @ 5psi

same turbo @ 8spi..42#injectors.. 508rwhp 548rwtq STS is doing it better than procharger. oh and full boost at 3000rpms
Old 03-28-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
Since you are running a Procharger.. and posted your #'s..

STS on a STOCK 98 Fbody LS1 engine..
60-1 .81 a/r 414rwhp 450rwtq @ 5psi

same turbo @ 8spi..42#injectors.. 508rwhp 548rwtq STS is doing it better than procharger. oh and full boost at 3000rpms

1. My car puts out more than what the dyno reads, due to the high stall that eats power-3600, 2.5 str. I was under the impression everyone knew that.

2. I am running a 3.7 pulley. My previous 3.4 pulley produced 518 rwhp.

3. What are you running?
Old 03-29-2006, 06:45 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
you're going to compair A&A Vortech S trim kit to a Twin turbo kit???? apples to oranges my friend.. you wont get near the HP or TQ with that vortech kit as the STS turbo kit can produce. Sure its 5500.. why spend 5500$ on a kit.. or 6500 on the T-trim upgrade when you can get a twin turbo kit.. that hits full boost @ 3000rpms.. only has to use 6psi.. when you can get an STS twin system, with front mount IC for 1$k more?
Why? Because for equal or less money many of the CSC kits can (and have) put out more power, have ZERO lag, are proven, and have run FAR quicker times than any STS system to date. There have been countless ECS / A&A, (ProCharger, Paxton, Vortech) cars that have laid down incredible numbers (both on the dyno and at the track). Yes many of these cars have upgraded head units (many don't), but the point is you can get a nice CSC system for under the price of a stripped STS base system which will out perform it.

Look, you're obviously a STS owner and are going to swear the STS system is the Holy Grail of FI... fine, you have your opinion and I'm not going to bash STS or point out the numerous disadvantages to STS turbos. I just want to point out to the thread starter that there are other proven less expensive FI kits out there that will put out the numbers if you're only looking for a basic FI system. If he's looking to get more serious and build an 800+ rwhp machine, then he'd have to be a fool to go with the STS system given the availability of much more effective and efficient front mount TT systems.

Just my two cents.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

is that how a stock vette sounds with just the twins kit in the commercial? Sounded aggressive, but i thought there might be exhaust on the car too.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:20 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JAvenger007
is that how a stock vette sounds with just the twins kit in the commercial? Sounded aggressive, but i thought there might be exhaust on the car too.
No, no more so than a Viper sounds like that! I think they got those sound clips from a parking lot full of ricers!

The STS on the vette is pretty loud as you'd imagine, but not SUPER loud (and it obviously doesn't whistle like that gay commercial). Remember, a basic TT STS vette has no mufflers.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:31 PM
12 Second Club

Why? Because for equal or less money many of the CSC kits can (and have) put out more power, have ZERO lag, are proven, and have run FAR quicker times than any STS system to date. There have been countless ECS / A&A, (ProCharger, Paxton, Vortech) cars that have laid down incredible numbers (both on the dyno and at the track). Yes many of these cars have upgraded head units (many don't), but the point is you can get a nice CSC system for under the price of a stripped STS base system which will out perform it.

Look, you're obviously a STS owner and are going to swear the STS system is the Holy Grail of FI... fine, you have your opinion and I'm not going to bash STS or point out the numerous disadvantages to STS turbos. I just want to point out to the thread starter that there are other proven less expensive FI kits out there that will put out the numbers if you're only looking for a basic FI system. If he's looking to get more serious and build an 800+ rwhp machine, then he'd have to be a fool to go with the STS system given the availability of much more effective and efficient front mount TT systems.

Just my two cents.
build your own for even cheaper

and lag, its not always a bad thing and if you want ZERO lag run a smaller turbo, i'd prefer to have boost come in later and then just scream all the way to redline instead of having power right away and possibly falling on its face before you get in the upper rpm's

just my opinion and i have neither kit. but have a few turbocharged cars
Old 03-29-2006, 12:52 PM
Launching!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...82&forum_id=86
STS TT results. Enough said, through the cats and on pump gas with the standard T3/4 turbo's and not the T60 turbo's.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:53 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 89Formulaws6
build your own for even cheaper

and lag, its not always a bad thing and if you want ZERO lag run a smaller turbo, i'd prefer to have boost come in later and then just scream all the way to redline instead of having power right away and possibly falling on its face before you get in the upper rpm's

just my opinion and i have neither kit. but have a few turbocharged cars
lol just what i was thinling build your own for cheaper and custom tailor it to your car...like im doing..lol...

and about the LAG comment, boosting later is better and in many ways, less stressful on many components of the drivetrain, and usually boosting later rather than sooner means u have more pulling power/potential up top...
Old 03-29-2006, 01:00 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by BUYAMERICAN
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...82&forum_id=86
STS TT results. Enough said, through the cats and on pump gas with the standard T3/4 turbo's and not the T60 turbo's.
holy that is absolutely sick...i bet he's not maxing anything out just has to change wastegate springs to see 900+hp.. im feeling better about my soon to be rear mount project every time i see something like this..
Old 03-29-2006, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

If you guys want to talk to the one of the only dealers in houston its Andy with the red C5. Hes on houstonperformancedriving and posts as turtle and the hare or let me know and ill talk to him. In my opinion if u want to be sneaky...this is the way to go, the only thing that would ever give it away would be the intercooler if that though! U can barely see it where its mounted just under the lid.
-Coleman-
Ps good luck!
Old 03-29-2006, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

No, no more so than a Viper sounds like that! I think they got those sound clips from a parking lot full of ricers!

The STS on the vette is pretty loud as you'd imagine, but not SUPER loud (and it obviously doesn't whistle like that gay commercial). Remember, a basic TT STS vette has no mufflers.

I was there the day those sound clips were taken... those are the sounds.. Viper motors sound very odd and unique. Thats the exact sound from the Twin turbo C6.

ive owned a procharged LS1.. hated the whine.. some people like it... my busted a belt.. not just once.. 2 times.. i didnt get full boost till 5200 rpms.. and yes it did have lag.. great product if you like superchargers.. its no longer my thing.

I dont have an STS system.. ive ridden in plenty.. including the C6 from the STS commercial.. several LS1 camaro's.. A tahoe, an SS 04 truck, ect.. the procharger had more lag than any LS1 STS.. thats with both the 60-1 and GT67.. although the GT67 does kick on a tad later than the 60-1.

im not here to argue or debate.. some one just posted stats.. i posted STS.. and from my stand point.. Turbos Vs superchargers is apples to oranges, because although similar in function.. they differ greatly.

back to topic
Old 03-30-2006, 03:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Just my two cents.
This goes back to the apples to oranges comparison. With a cam and LT's my STS with a GT-67 doesn't hit full boost till 3500RPM. But, I REALIZE it's a turbo, no a supercharged car. I don't get pissed off driving around in vacuum till 3K RPM. On the contrary, I appreciate the good gas mileage and "normal" driving conditions till I want to put the smack down on someone. It's Jeckyll and Hyde. Pure docile till WOT, then the evil beast emerges. In most cases a turbo will make more power than a supercharger. That's a simple deal of the SC pulley vs a turbo and it's instantaneously adjstable boost controller (if installed).

As for cost...face it; FI is expensive. Doesn't matter what route you go.

And for front mounts.....space is a MAJOR problem. Heat is another problem. Hell, I can barely shoehorn the damn STS intake pipe into the engine bay....let alone the whole freakin turbo, wastegate, intake tube, etc. People I've met with front mount kits whisper rumors that the hot parts (ie manifolds) sometimes break at the welds on the front mount kits. This isn't hating. A good designed kit looks awsome. And ground clearance is my achilles heel, so I appreciate the front mount kits for that too. Just a point that ALL FI ROUTES HAVE THEIR UPS AND DOWNFALLS. It comes down to what you want....which might be different from me, the guy next dor, etc.

Just my $0.02

Last edited by Schantin; 03-30-2006 at 04:12 AM.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:52 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

aww just run the kit you like and if someone hates it f them. I'ts like we all love performance but when we go to achieve this performance one has to dog the other one's way he went about it. Well i think its cool that someone has power adders on there vehicle no matter what brand. And if i wasnt happy with the kit i chose id sure as hell get rid of it and try something else. I love F I. and like i said if i was rich id have one more car supercharged just to cover both ends of the spectrum.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fenix99
holy that is absolutely sick...i bet he's not maxing anything out just has to change wastegate springs to see 900+hp.. im feeling better about my soon to be rear mount project every time i see something like this..
Not bad for 12 PSI.
Wait until you see my car and about six others coming down the pipe.
STS well be selling a lot more kits.
First Custom 427 STS TT Build.

Quick Reply: STS Turbo setup