Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

H/C combo or FI

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default H/C combo or FI

I have a lt1 camaro and the engine in it is going south, so i bough another lt1 motor that i am planning to put in after i make some hp with it. so i was wondering what would be the better bang for the buck. as of right now i was planning on rebuilding it with an eagle crank and forged pistons and making it a 383, and going with a LE2 heads and cam combo. my goel was around 400 hp. but then maybe i could just buy a super charger and some other parts for my other motor and make around 500 hp (FYI the other lt1 motor has about 63k miles on it). so basically it comes down to i have some cash to play with. how can i make the most horse power. oh and it is going to be a daily driver. I have an open mind for oppinions so please help me decide. (FYI both application with have all of the necessary bolt ons)
Old 03-31-2006, 04:15 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...tCar.php?car=7

Our '95 Formula with it's ATI ProCharger runs 11.32 in the 1/4 at 118 mph with its untouched stock internals. The nice thing about adding an ATI ProCharger is the car can still be a daily driver, and you can still use the car for long trips. I wouldn't do that with the car above, as the tranny/converter set-up was installed with a lot of track use in mind. Bob
Old 03-31-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

umm....i went with heads and cam in my LS1 ... and now im kickin myself in the ***...it's never fast enough...now im in the process of getting parts together to go FI....if you are not easily satisfied...go FI...cause heads/cam just isn't enough unless you spray the **** outta it too... just my $0.02
Old 03-31-2006, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SS4Matt
umm....i went with heads and cam in my LS1 ... and now im kickin myself in the ***...it's never fast enough...now im in the process of getting parts together to go FI....if you are not easily satisfied...go FI...cause heads/cam just isn't enough unless you spray the **** outta it too... just my $0.02
curious, what H/C combo are you running? 390 RWHP seems awfully low for a H/C car
Old 03-31-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah....it's a small cam 224/224 thunder racing cam...but i've always wanted FI so that should work alright for now...and the patriot heads i put on...haha i actually lost a few hp with...with stock heads and my cam i was at 396...and when the heads went on and i got it re-tuned i was at 390....it's not a huge cam...had i gone for a true H/C car i woulda got the AFR heads or some 5.3 heads and a much larger cam....but the cam shouldn't be too bad for a turbo which will be in the near future....
woulda had one by now but last fall i spent all my money on a new rear end...built trans by D&D and Spec 3 clutch all new BMR stuff in the rear and just getting all the supporting mods and crap outta the way...the car should be ready for some air next year!
Old 04-01-2006, 07:21 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Ill beat ya to it Matt, lol. Question... for a 346 block, and FI, whats a good head/cam combo to add some HP safely by lowering the CR as well? I see a lot of people posting about the lingenfelter 2-3 something. Also a lot of mention about the 6.0 heads to lower the CR. If i was running lets say 8 psi on stock block right about 470rwhp, and i added the ling. cam and the 6.0 heads, about how much hp would i gain? Also would i lose some boost due to lower CR? I know those heads arent very pricey.... now if i wanted to step into a nicer set for some more power, what is a decent combo? Talking LS1 here.

P.S. sorry to hijack your thread but im sick of making a new thread every week for all my questions, lol

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 04-01-2006, 08:01 AM
9 Second Club

I am using a forged 347 Rods and pistons with ARP everything. Using a Stage 2 6.0L heads with bigger intake valves and a custom comp cam grind on a 114 LSA. I dont have numbers yet but that is the way to go IMHO. I guess what I am saying if you want everybit of HP do the cam and heads. Heat is always going to be your enemy with a FI car. And with better flowing heads you will have less heat to pump in the boost At least thats what I have learned on this site from reading everyday.

Joe M
Old 04-01-2006, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah... my patriot "LS6" heads have the 2.055 intake and 1.60 exhaust valves. with those big honk'n intake valves there was a lot of chamber ground out to make them fit in there. Loss of compression was the reason why we figured i lost HP with the newer heads...which is fine with me cause some air will be shoved back in them shortly :-)
Old 04-01-2006, 08:30 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

ok thanks man!

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 04-01-2006, 09:04 AM
Staging Lane

I couldn't agree more, I went with the AFR 205's+G5X3 Package and made some strong numbers. I'm now in the process of my FI build, there's just so many more directions you can take a FI setup. I'm really going to miss the H/C sound and all the looks it got me. Good Luck.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow those are some very strong numbers IN DEBT...but i found i just want more....so i started going in the FI direction. my set up should be just fine for a turbo. until i get more money and build the right motor...but till then i'm gonna have my ****'s 'n' giggles with a GMR kit next season!
Old 04-02-2006, 06:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

yeah... my patriot "LS6" heads have the 2.055 intake and 1.60 exhaust valves. with those big honk'n intake valves there was a lot of chamber ground out to make them fit in there. Loss of compression was the reason why we figured i lost HP with the newer heads...which is fine with me cause some air will be shoved back in them shortly :-)
Well, you answered my question. I was pretty suprised on yur HP rating, as I made 375RWHP with the TR224 cam and stock heads. BTW, the cam works ok with FI....not ideal, but it works.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah it should work alright for the time being..... if the cam was a 114 or higher LSA cam it would be great, but it's 112. it's a great cam if you are just for cruise'n and bruise'n Mustang Ego's on the streets...but there's way too many '03, '04 Cobra's in my end of town...that i need to shut them up...also. im addicted, Too Much Speed isn't obtainable
Old 04-03-2006, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so for about a $5k ballpark what would make the most hp. FI or H/C... still cant make up my mind.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:22 PM
Teching In

for best streetability and more power FI

Quick Reply: H/C combo or FI